Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician-who-suffered-brain-injury-settles-accident-case-for-2.6m

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A payment was going to happen here but the real problem is how much the headline outcome might have been at €8.6m. I suppose we can be grateful that the judge placed some level of responsibility on the plaintiff. How did we get to such stratospheric numbers for any claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He looks a bit shook from that photo . Are disability payments means tested or 'only' contingent on proving you have a disability? At 50k a year 2.5 million will see him out 25 years or so if he can no longer work and earn a living. He looks young enough - not sure what he supposed to.do if he cannot work and lives to 60 or 80.

yes, they are means tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

is_that_so wrote: »
    A payment was going to happen here but the real problem is how much the headline outcome might have been at €8.6m. I suppose we can be grateful that the judge placed some level of responsibility on the plaintiff. How did we get to such stratospheric numbers for any claim?

I think with a few million Euro most people can life normal. But, let us not forget that British (I only mention nationality here because it is a straight fact, not that any other nationality would make a difference) bin man who was a bit troubled by all that sudden money:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Carroll_(lottery_winner)

I am sure the book is worth reading and from what I heard, also entertaining...

Car drivers also have a responsibility. In this instance both parties were held partly liable for the accident hence the reduced award. In fact it was the pedestrain who was held to be mostly responsible as they only got 30% of what they asked for.

If the pedestrian was found to be most responsible, could the driver not sue him for stress or health issues brought on by the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,647 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

is_that_so wrote: »

The Judge had nothing to with it, it was settled.

Judges like they always do just have to "approve" it, a legal formality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If the pedestrian was found to be most responsible, could the driver not sue him for stress or health issues brought on by the accident?

I've no idea. i was simply commenting on the reported facts.

I'm sure he could, would be a very expensive gamble for a relatively small potential financial gain.

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm sure he could, would be a very expensive gamble for a relatively small potential financial gain.

like what? 2.3 Mio Euro ... or is the amount reduced by the amount of car wrapped around your waist? SUV drivers are finally disadvantaged... yeay!

ampleforth wrote: »
    like what? 2.3 Mio Euro

You think the driver would get 2.3 million for stress?

Boggles wrote: »
    You think the driver would get 2.3 million for stress?

Stress sucks... why not? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement