Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Dublin residents look to go vigilante in an attempt to stop gangs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

ampleforth wrote: »

They did, 7 months ago. Report is from December 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I knew it would be Dublin Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

What has happened to these once sleepy north Dublin suburbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Sorry ,did not check the date. Since I head about it before, I somehow thought its a follow-up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    What has happened to these once sleepy north Dublin suburbs?

Lots of people sleeping through the parenting phase. Instead of children, they now have wild animals who roam in their feral gangs. A pity they wouldn't roam out to sea once and for all.

• Advertisement

Lots of people sleeping through the parenting phase. Instead of children, they now have wild animals who roam in their feral gangs. A pity they wouldn't roam out to sea once and for all.

I heard balbriggan was bad, I had no idea portmarnock and lusk were also turning into kips. What an absolute shame. Beautiful parts of this county turning to s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The locals rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Find out who the gangs are and punish the parents for being absolutely terrible at their job. These sort of things can become endemic if not treated early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I heard balbriggan was bad, I had no idea portmarnock and lusk were also turning into kips. What an absolute shame. Beautiful parts of this county turning to s**t.

As a non Dub, I always thought the North/Dark side always had a rep as a kip?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

As a non Dub, I always thought the North/Dark side always had a rep as a kip?

North inner city is a long way from North County Dublin

Portmarnock has no anti social issues. This was a once off caused by an influx of knackbags from elsewhere getting off the train and acting like wild animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,810 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Find out who the gangs are and punish the parents for being absolutely terrible at their job. These sort of things can become endemic if not treated early.

Was there a case of parents being punished for the misdeeds of their spawn, ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ampleforth wrote:
    Sorry ,did not check the date. Since I head about it before, I somehow thought its a follow-up...

I live in Dublin 5. I am a member of a local Facebook group and several members have openly tried to start a vigilante group. They haven't managed to set it up yet as the ones putting the idea forward only seem interested in beating up non Irish children. Anyone else who might consider it is put off by the racist undertones. I do believe it will happen eventually if the Gardai can't stop gangs using the DART to target northside arras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The media love getting Lusk and Rush confused. Theres no gang related issues in Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

D3V!L wrote: »
    The media love getting Lusk and Rush confused. Theres no gang related issues in Lusk.

I wouldn't have thought Rush was subject to it either. Thought this was more a Balbriggan concern

lawred2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought Rush was subject to it either. Thought this was more a Balbriggan concern

Likely you're right, both are a considerable way from Balbriggan. Sure if you were to get on the train to Rush or Lusk its a half hour walk to the towns. There's no point in Lusk as we have nothing apart from a take away and a SuperValu.

D3V!L wrote:
    Likely you're right, both are a considerable way from Balbriggan. Sure if you were to get on the train to Rush or Lusk its a half hour walk to the towns. There's no point in Lusk as we have nothing apart from a take away and a SuperValu.

I can't say if lusk or rush is involved but the gangs target clontarf, kilbarrack, Killester, Raheny, Baldoyle, portmarnock, Malahide.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I can't say if lusk or rush is involved but the gangs target clontarf, kilbarrack, Killester, Raheny, Baldoyle, portmarnock, Malahide.

All along the train line by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Remember that time when a gang of self styled vigilantes killed Declan Flynn in Fairview? Remember how some of the local community cheered as they were handed outrageously light sentences?

The only permissible vigilante is Batman, in a comic.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was there a case of parents being punished for the misdeeds of their spawn, ever?

There was a case against a parent who failed to send her child to school over a long period.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mother-jailed-school-attendance-appeal-4585872-Apr2019/

so the mechanism is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Remember that time when a gang of self styled vigilante group killed Declan Flynn in Fairview? Remember how some of the local community cheered as they were handed outrageously light sentences?

Eh that wasn't vigilantes. That was a gang of 5 misdirected teenagers, one of them 14 years old.

In terms of vigilantes, the last successful group I can think of was CPAD who were closely associated with SF and ICON.

https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/27068/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

These groups will gain traction as long as the courts keep churning back out criminals on light sentences. I would join a neighborhood watch patrol if required. I don't like the term vigilante group as violence wouldn't be necessary just patrol the area at night and report sightings / suspicious activity to the Gardai. I also couldn't care what race the groups are.

STB. wrote: »
    Eh that wasn't vigilantes. That was a gang of 5 misdirected teenagers, one of them 14 years old.

In terms of vigilantes, the last successful group I can think of was CPAD who were closely associated with SF and ICON.

https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/27068/

There's an age limit on being a vigilante now?

OldGoat wrote: »

I have trained to fight a lot and it kinda came to the point where I wondered should I employ it to deal with some local "scum" who were causing issues up to even physically accosting little old women. I even set out a few times to do just that after the police failed us many times but somehow never followed through.

In the end at the last minute one time I switched tack and decided that instead of using my training on these kids I would switch lane entirely and goad them into training with me and teaching them to fight.

Some people were aghast at this. They thought these kids were bad enough as it was - if they could actually handle themselves in violence they would just be worse. I found the exact opposite happened.

The outlet - the training - the discipline - the interaction - and most of all just an adult taking interest in their well being and development - changed them almost overnight. They are now the nicest lads you'd ever want to meet and I love working with them.

Amazing that many people - and I admit I include myself among them - once thought them "irredeemable scum" basically. I have been ruminating for ages on some way to go national with my tiny local initiative. How could my experiences work more broadly? I have been playing with the idea of starting a Jedi Academy and even have a curriculum in mind on how to teach children essentially what they would learn if they were studying to be Jedi in the movie.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There's an age limit on being a vigilante now?

Well there should be. Its not gang warfare that you want to create. The gangs causing the mayhem are teenagers, after all.

That gang I responded to were not vigilantes. I think the papers referred to them at the time as "queer bashers". We have moved on.

In terms of actual vigilante groups, the one I referenced in CPAD was set up with the intention to empower local communities to tackle the drug problem in the late 80's early 90's. They were quite successful in that they were organised and had (how to put this ?) personnel that were quite handy. They knew the hands of the garda were tied and more importantly they knew the people to target. In many cases it didn't require violence. They basically shamed a lot of them out of their communities.

Well there should be. Its not gang warfare that you want to create.

The gangs causing the mayhem are teenagers. That gang were not vigilantes. I think the papers referred to them at the time as "queer bashers". We have moved on.

In terms of actual vigilante groups, the one I referenced in CPAD was set up with the intention to empower local communities to tackle the drug problem in the late 80's early 90's. They were quite successful in that they were organised and had (how to put this ?) personnel that were quite handy.

It's hard to say if they saw themselves as vigilantes or not. Homosexuality was ilegal at the time so they may have convinced themselves that they were doing society a good thing. Horrible thing to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Anthony (Tony) Maher (aged 19) of Poplar Row Flats, Ballybough;
    Robert Alan Armstrong (aged 18) of Plunkett Drive, Finglas West;
    Patrick Kavanagh (aged 18) St Brigid's Avenue, North Strand;
    Colm Donovan (aged 17) of Lower Buckingham Street; and
    a 14-year-old boy who could not be named for legal reasons.[1][3]

Armstrong stated that: "We were part of the team to get rid of queers from Fairview Park." In his statement which was read to court he told Gardaí: "A few of us had been queer-bashing for about six weeks before and battered about 20 steamers. We used to grab them. If they hit back we gave it to them."

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Well there should be. Its not gang warfare that you want to create.

The gangs causing the mayhem are teenagers. That gang were not vigilantes. I think the papers referred to them at the time as "queer bashers". We have moved on.

In terms of actual vigilante groups, the one I referenced in CPAD was set up with the intention to empower local communities to tackle the drug problem in the late 80's early 90's. They were quite successful in that they were organised and had (how to put this ?) personnel that were quite handy.

Yeah the local Republicans were quite handy alright until they start seeing they could make money from it themselves and dealers start paying them to turn a blind eye to their activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

lawred2 wrote: »

I live 8 miles from balbriggan. I do all my grocery shopping there, banking once a week, use the train station 3 days a week. I've never seen a gang, a fight, not a raised voice. I know of one or two estates where there is a large influx of Africans, and there could be gangs, but as far as seeing any or there being any trouble, apart from a man being beaten up last year, zero.

Maybe I'm not in the right place at the wrong time but concern is not something I've heard from anyone I know in the area, including two friends who are stationed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This new forum appears to be a collection of "dublinlive" "stories"

• Advertisement

Yeah the local Republicans were quite handy alright until they start seeing they could make money from it themselves and dealers start paying them to turn a blind eye to their activities.

Unfortunately, this is true.

But that group I believe was set up with the best of intentions and was quite successful. It raised the profile of how communities were so fed up with the problem to the extent that new legislation was brought in to target these individuals (CAB).

In many cases violence was not required. They simply placed gravestones in their front gardens and held protests outside their houses.

Advertisement