Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 Week Plan - Breakfast alternative

Options
  • 08-07-2019 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

On an 8 week plan from gym but finding breakfast tough during the training days. The suggestion is 40g of oats with a few blueberries and milk but was wondering if there are better options or even something to mix it up?

Non training days are eggs and slice of soda bread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

What kind of macronutrient content are you trying to get out of your oats breakfast? Work that out and literally eat anything you want that fits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

per day, going for 200g of carbs and protein plus 44g of fat - open to any suggestions that would fit in evenly with that?

Anything would fit in with it for breakfast depending on what you eat the rest of the day.

So you're aiming for 2000 calories a day going by the above.

Let's say you have 500 calories for breakfast for argument's sake. That could be:

3 slices of brown bread toasted with butter and 1.5 scoops of whey - according to MFP: 515 calories, C49, P45, F13.

Obviously not the 'healthiest' but it fits your macro's.

What I'm trying to get at is, you don't have to eat certain things if you don't want. Calories in vs calories out is the most important thing. But if you're trying to build muscle you obviously need sufficient intakes of protein too or to hold on to what muscle you have if you're in a calorie deficit.

good point - thanks for that. New to the concept and didn't want to sway too much from the plan but at the same time just wondering what alternatives there were.

Average calorie intake in week 1 has been around 1400.

Are you trying to lose weight? Even so, 1400 a day seems low.

• Advertisement

yes trying to lose weight, gym 3 times a week with a 5k and a night playing astro also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ladjacket wrote:

What does your maintenance work out as, 1400 sounds a bit drastic.

maintenance?

Maintenance calories - basal metabolic rate x activity.

Check it out here:

https://tdeecalculator.net/

thanks Circuital.

Finding it hard to get above 1500 calories per day. Training in gym 3 days per week, mixture of weights and cardio then some extra cardio during the week also.

Today for example, i have had 6 egg omelette (5 white and 1 normal) with slice of soda bread for breakfast, 125g of rice, 100g of mixed veg and 100g of beef pieces for lunch and banana in between. So far, i am at 680 calories for the day.

• Advertisement

Why only 1 whole egg? Protein in the white but the other nutrients are in the yoke.

Eat some bread, it looks like you're very low on carbs and fats.

What calories does the plan say you should be on? What kind of plan is it - goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

6 eggsl omlette??? No wonder you need a bit of help ! Stick with the trainers gym and eating plan. Bulk up.the fruit in the oats if you want for breakfast but stick to what s/he has worked out for you. No doubt there is method and a reason. 3 times a week plus aflstro turf + 5k sounds like a great way to lose weight in 8 weeks but not if you go mad on the food.

6 eggsl omlette??? No wonder you need a bit of help ! Stick with the trainers gym and eating plan. Bulk up.the fruit in the oats if you want for breakfast but stick to what s/he has worked out for you. No doubt there is method and a reason. 3 times a week plus aflstro turf + 5k sounds like a great way to lose weight in 8 weeks but not if you go mad on the food.

People want to complicate food and training in order to sell something. Particularly for the weight loss market.

OP absolutely does not have to stick to certain foods. It’s a scientific fact that for weight loss calorie expenditure vs intake trumps everything.

Besides, the breakfast on this magic 8 weeks plan paltry as regards calorie intake. If every meal is the same caloric intake then he’s going to be eating nearly 7 meals a day! Who has time for that!?!

Now, he didn’t have 6 eggs, he had 1 egg and 5 egg whites. According to MFP that’s 157 calories.

OP, what I like to do with eggs/egg whites is have breakfast tacos. Throw some tomato and a bit of lettuce in the taco shells with eggs. Maybe add some siracha sauce if that’s you’re thing. Throw in a banana for after and you’re 440kcals.

It’s not the end of the world being in too large a deficit for a few weeks anyway as long as you’re not suffering. Wouldn’t do it for more than a month. Or just get the calories back up during a cheat meal. You’ll still be in a considerable deficit but do watch this kind of approach if you’re hitting the goal of being in a smaller deficit during the week.

the 6 egg omelette is in the plan.

have been sticking to the plan religiously since i received it, hunger not really the issue. The main thing is that i am having trouble reaching anywhere close to 2k calories (limit set for me) and really struggling to get near the max protein daily allowance (200g) - going to start adding double the intake for lunch and dinner - make one chicken fillet become two for example.

Plan was set for weight loss and to tone up what is there.

Ok, that's a clearer picture, sounds like they've given some meal suggestions with the plan but don't be afraid to experiment, if it fits your macros you'll be on plan. If you're struggling to meet protein goals them supplements can be brought into play, an extra shake here and there can boost your cals too.

My plan wasn't very different and I went through the egg phase as well, breakfast now is 2 weetabik and a scoop of protein powder, lunch is a sandwich (extra meat filling), dins 2 fillets, steak or 2 fillets of fush with rice or boiled potatoe, some coffees during the day with milk, a snack and finish with a shake. Works out around 2k cals and close to a 40 40 20 macro split.

Btw, it worked great for me, best of luck.

cheers bladespin!

I am doing the omelette and soda bread or oats with blueberries for breakfast, lunch and dinners are a mix of turkey/steak/chicken/lean mince with rice/noodles/baby potatoes with a side of veg then.

Snacks are rice cakes, nuts or fulfil bars.

Thanks for the good advice!

Ladjacket wrote: »
    have been sticking to the plan religiously since i received it, hunger not really the issue..

If you're sticking to the meal plan they gave you religiously and you're not hitting your calories, then the meal plan is either off or your tracking is.

My suggestion - make up your cals and macros by eating higher density foods if need be. Include 3 eggs and 3 whites for example.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,062 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

per day, going for 200g of carbs and protein plus 44g of fat

The above macros are 2000 calories (40/40/20 split). You apparently not reaching that. If you were undereating, But a buffer for underestimating is good too.
    Today for example, i have had 6 egg omelette (5 white and 1 normal) with slice of soda bread for breakfast, 125g of rice, 100g of mixed veg and 100g of beef pieces for lunch and banana in between. So far, i am at 680 calories for the day.

Omelette 160
    Soda Bread 390
    Rice 170
    Mixed veg 75
    Beef 180
    Banana 100

I make that out to be 1075 cal. Higher is the bread has butter, the beef has sauce, oil in the pan etc.

Mellor wrote: »
    The above macros are 2000 calories (40/40/20 split). You apparently not reaching that. If you were undereating, But a buffer for underestimating is good too.

Omelette 160
    Soda Bread 390
    Rice 170
    Mixed veg 75
    Beef 180
    Banana 100

I make that out to be 1075 cal. Higher is the bread has butter, the beef has sauce, oil in the pan etc.

Thanks Mellor

The slice of wholewheat soda bread is 60 calories according to MFP.

The beef (100g) is 116 calories.

My intake this week according to MFP has been:

Monday: 1156 calories - 141g of carbs, 19g of fat and 97g of protein
    Tuesday: 1303 calories - 158g of carbs, 23g of fat and 112 of protein
    Wednesday: 1438 calories - 160g of carbs, 24g of fat and 139g of protein

I am trying to get extra protein in now through a shake in the morning and by doubling up what i am having for dinner - one turkey burger becomes two, one chicken fillet becomes two etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mellor

The slice of wholewheat soda bread is 60 calories according to MFP.

The beef (100g) is 116 calories.
    A slice of soda is very unlikely to be 60cals. Unless it's tiny. What brand is it?
    I was using numbers for McCambridge.
    What kind of beef is 116 calls? That's extremely low

Tesco wholewheat soda bread, scanned on MFP, one slice says it is 60 cals.

The beef is beef stir fry pieces again from tesco, weighed it on the scales and 100g was 116 cals.

Tesco wholewheat soda bread, scanned on MFP, one slice says it is 60 cals.

The beef is beef stir fry pieces again from tesco, weighed it on the scales and 100g was 116 cals.
    Anyone can make an entry on MFP. They aren't verified. What does the packet say?
    60 cake would be a very small piece. McCambridge us 120 (the number above was a serve of two slices with butter)

I've never seen beef that low. Does it say 116 on the packet?
    This one is 147
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292310169

Anyone can make an entry on MFP. They aren't verified. What does the packet say?
    60 cake would be a very small piece. McCambridge us 120 (the number above was a serve of two slices with butter)

I've never seen beef that low. Does it say 116 on the packet?
    This one is 147
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292310169

That Tesco link says that 100g is 118 calories so that stacks up.

That Tesco link says that 100g is 118 calories so that stacks up.

So it does in he fine print.
    The 147 must be for a bigger serve.
    That's pretty low. Keep buying that one. ;)

haha will do! cheers for looking out though!

gonna try to experiment with some banana oat bread or protein pancakes over the weekend to mix up the breakfast a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

So it does in he fine print.
    The 147 must be for a bigger serve.
    That's pretty low. Keep buying that one. ;)

might be a labelling problem? beef is normally based off ~250calories per 100g, have they labelled the meat with the calories of a stirfry recipe?

Tesco says ~115 /100g for "stirfry"

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=303484809

this site says beef stirfry is 115/100g but its a recipe , seems a coincidence?

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/beef-stir-fry?portionid=9297846&portionamount=100.000

28 g Beef Tip Round (Trimmed to 1/8" Fat, Cooked, Roasted)
    7 g Celery (without salt, drained, cooked, boiled)
    10 g Mushrooms
    11 g Onions (without salt, drained, cooked, boiled)
    15 g Spinach (without salt, drained, cooked, boiled)
    6 g Soy sauce (shoyu)
    9 g Egg (whole)
    8 g Egg omelet
    1 g Beef tallow (fat)
    1 g Granulated sugar
    5 g Beef broth or bouillon soup (made with powder)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

just a little update on this if you are interested.

started this programme on July 1 weighing 86.6 kilos.

Stepped on the scales last night and was 83.3kg and i thought that was weird so got back on and was 84kg. Either one of those I am thrilled about so the motivation to keep going is definitely in place now. Want to get to 80kg and maintain that going forward.

Was at the City Spectacular on Saturday and it was the first time i have struggled with the amount of food on offer but the willpower came through for me!

one more update from me on this.

Entering the second last week of this program.

Breakfast is normally either an omelette or scrambled eggs - 1 egg and 5 egg whites with a slice of batch bread

Lunch is either two chicken fillets, two turkey burger or a sirloin steak with rice and veg

Dinner is the same as above.

Swapping rice with baby potatoes or sweet potato chips when i feel like it.

Snacking on salt and vinegar rice cakes from Tesco, dark chocolate from Lindt, a bit of fruit. I have a protein shake every couple of days also.

Running two nights per week in addition to the three sessions in the gym. When I started this i was doing 5k but have moved onto to 10k now (10k in 52 mins)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭tinpib

Curious what your weight is now?

Advertisement