Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I'm surprised too, he has reached his ceiling in WWE.

He is always going to be upper-mid carder on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,495 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 85,858 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Good on KO and he is still owed a world title rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

As Scott Hall famously said "it ain't show friends, it's show business".

With the amount of talent available now after ROH closing and how full AEWs own roster is, it makes sense for him to stay in WWE.

A year ago, certainly would have made sense to jump but now? He's established upper mid card, currently in the Raw main event. Where would he be in AEW? Doing a Christian and mooching around with Jurassic express or varsity blondes or stuck doing something with best friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just because Kevin Owens signed a shiny new contract with WWE means jack ****. Braun Strowman signed a new contract and was eventually **** canned.

He did right by him and his family, doesn't mean that decision won't come back to bite when WWE eventually come around to more releases due to budget cuts and he happens to be one of them.

Worse comes to it for Owens, if he does gets released, he'll get paid for 90 Days, and then probably go join his mates in Cole & The Bucks in AEW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I can't watch modern WWE because of the camera cuts, and AEW isn't too far behind either.

Camera cuts are my biggest pet hate in wrestling, makes it unwatchable for me but I have to say I haven't found AEW that bad and it's something that I usually notice straight away when watching a wrestling show. They definitely switch cameras during moves at times but just doesn't seem to be as jarring as other companies.

WWE and Impact are the worst for it. I hardly watched any ROH tbh but when I watched any clips from recent shows they were doing the zoom in/zoom out thing WWE does on moves. NJPW is probably the best for camera work when it comes to no camera cuts. They usually just leave it on one camera for long stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hate the camera cuts too.

I think its a way to go lighter on tv now. Sure back in the day the mentality was lay it in its tv. Not anymore. Someone here posted a clip of rollins and cesaro trading punches on the outside waiting for their spot to get back in the ring to break up a pin. The punches looked horrible. Both are good wrestlers and could do better.

But wwe is no longer a wrestling company. They want their wrestlers to go injury free as much as possible. Not a bad way of thinking. But how do you achieve that? You tell them to wrestle a safer style and use cuts to mask the lack of contact.

You're right. He will always be an upper mid-carder. But to spark a conversation about it... I think he is right to re-sign.

Like in the realm of pro wrestling (off-screen that is) you keep hearing guys talk about "passion" and "drive" and all that. In truth it's all about the money. Kevin Owens is on at least 1 million. I suspect more. US government takes 37% tax so he's on at least 640k a year. He stands to make at least 2 million for the next 3 years. In truth more with merch, sponsorships and other side-hustles relating to working with WWE. Not to mention any personal investments he makes. Doesn't the undertaker invest in property?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭briany

The way things are going, none of them may soon be involved with WWE. Triple H, at least, has to harbour some resentment that NXT, his baby, was taken over and b*stardised.

• Advertisement

The Ring of Honor Women's Champion Rok-C was in the latest round tryouts for NXT this last week.

Might as well quote myself. There's reports now saying Owens is on 2-3 million now and aew couldn't or wouldn't match that.

I was reading over the weekend and I cannot remember who wrote it sadly as they were spot on.

KO tried to get a no cut added to his contract which wasn't given

They wrote about KO's new contract saying that it was not really a long term contract on guaranteed money of 2/3/4 million a year for 3/4/5 years depending on the length of the contract it's a chance to earn that money only with the WWE.

This also goes for all WWE contracts when in reality WWE contracts are basically rolling 90 day contracts that reset every night till the day the WWE decide that you earn to much money and release you with a 90 day non compete clause.

Windham and Braun both on multi million dollar deals with long term contracts were released on 90 days and their long term contract meant nothing the same with every other wrestler over the last year that was released at the start, middle or near the end of their contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd say it was a case of they wouldn't match that, plus had Owens not re-signed with the company. AEW wouldn't be able to approach until the 1st of February for fear (I don't know if it's a thing in professional wrestling or not) of contract tampering.

Do you think any other contracts in wrestling are different? I'm happy to be corrected if i'm wrong but I think that the last wrestling contracts that allowed a talent to stay at home and still get paid indefinitely were the WCW time warner ones that the highest ranking in WCW were on.

Unless i'm corrected (and again i'm happy to be) whatever you read smacks of clickbait reporting piling on to the not unreasonable boo wwe bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,358 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The lack of any security really is nuts, especially in such a physically demanding profession. I know unionisation has always been a total no-no in wrestling, but they really need more than 90 days of financial security..

What's the craic in AEW actually? I know they take pride in not cutting anyone before the contracts termination date, short of actual behavioural issues, but are they theoretically able to? Like, are the same rolling 90 day cut-options built into their deals too I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I don't think most people seem to understand employment in the US in general. Look up the number of at-will states, where you can be fired at any time for any reason. There's very little security here at all in that regard, irrespective of contracts. I've hired and fired enough to know!

I think that you are spot on there. Further I think most people don't understand how dumb and carny the wrestling business is. People think it's moved on but it hasn't.

But then again people think that it's not harmful and it's normal to support crap like GCW so who knows.

Totally get what you lads are saying. It's just wrestling is.... weird. As you both know. Its like the last frontier in many ways. Wrestling has always been about hiring and firing talent. Not saying that's right. It's always the way the business has been.

Kevin Owens is still right to sign with wwe. Sure in 6 months they may let him go. But he'll earn 6 months of his money and can easily walk in to another promotion. As he is a star.

I think the entertainment industry as a whole is the same. Like either one of you lads could become an actor tomorrow, sign on to star in a major movie on the dotted line. Only to get replaced.

Not saying it's right. Just the way it seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭ThePott

WWE seem to have been hit by a COVID outbreak.

Seth Rollins is confirmed to have it. Becky, Bianca and Big E were set to perform at MSG tonight and were all pulled and were not backstage. There's apparently more people who were pulled from the show as well.

It's likely not a precautionary measure as Kevin Owens still performed and is in the same four way as Rollins and Big E. Unclear at the moment if anyone outside of Seth is positive or how this will effect Day 1.

• Advertisement

Lacey Evans gave birth to her second daughter in October and she’s already teasing that she could be getting closer to making a return to WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭ThePott

Toni Storm has left WWE, seems she asked her release and was granted it.

I wonder was it the pieing and losing to Flair and probably Banks too so no title reign that tipped her to ask for release

Matt Cardona and Chelsea Green got married in Vegas last night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ric looks like he's desperate for attention at the moment.. but I'm with him on this, how can someone be the 'current' greatest of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

As in currently he is the greatest of all time?

The mantle may have been occupied by others in the past, but right now he is the greatest of all time.

I'd imagine it's open to change in the future but CURRENTLY ,at the present time, this person thinks he is greatest of all time. Superseding all before him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So he meant Jericho is greater than Hogan, Rock, Austin etc? That's quite an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

A career spanning four decades now, and four decades at a pretty high level....

Understandable take

• Advertisement

Major titles in CMLL, WAR, WWA, ECW, WCW, WWF/E, NJPW & AEW a wrestler who has been top of the card even when he was put in the midcard for over 30 years a wrestler who has been able to reinvent himself over and over so not to go with the same stale gimmick for his whole career.

Numerous matches of the years working styles from high flying to death matches and everything inbetween and a wrestler who actually have a very creative mind to go with his ability.

A wrestler who has a crossover appeal from Dancing with the Stars, movies, documentaries, author of 6 best selling books and of course a very successful career as a lead singer of a band who tour the world.

A face to a newly started company that is now recognised as the number two wrestling promation in the world.

There is a lot to be said the Jericho is the GOAT of wrestling and not a kayfabe one.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

Advertisement