Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8% Interest savings rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Here is an example they gave here https://medium.com/nexo/getting-your-nexo-loan-in-three-easy-steps-f0d4bec5c7ea:

Loan Example
    Let’s say you want to buy a $20,000 car and instead of selling your Bitcoin, you would like to use it for an instant crypto-backed loan from Nexo.
    Loan Limit: $20,000 (available instantly, without credit checks)
    Deposit Required: $40,000 (worth of BTC, which stays yours)
    Interest: starts at 5.9% per year APR
    Daily Interest: ~$4.44 (debited daily from your available credit limit)
    No additional fees. No hidden charges. No installments.

This is a huge gamble. While not quite a Ponzi scheme in the normal sense, you are opening up a huge exposure to the price of bitcoin. There are no background checks for somebody getting a loan, you don't even have to upload an ID for some levels. Bitcoin has been volatile in the past - if there is a sharp reduction in the bitcoin price, people will stop repaying their loans (why pay back a $10k loan if the collateral you used is now only worth $5k?), the company has no funds coming in and worthless assets and all your money is gone.

No harm having a punt and it seems to have worked out well so far as long as you are aware that this is a gamble. Certainly not something you should put all your savings into imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Sounds a lot like the Bitconnect scam. High unsustainable interest rates. Leaving your Bitcoin on deposit with them etc.

It will work for a while and you might make your 10% but most likely it will collapse and take your deposit with it.

Here is an example they gave here https://medium.com/nexo/getting-your-nexo-loan-in-three-easy-steps-f0d4bec5c7ea:

Loan Example
    Let’s say you want to buy a $20,000 car and instead of selling your Bitcoin, you would like to use it for an instant crypto-backed loan from Nexo.
    Loan Limit: $20,000 (available instantly, without credit checks)
    Deposit Required: $40,000 (worth of BTC, which stays yours)
    Interest: starts at 5.9% per year APR
    Daily Interest: ~$4.44 (debited daily from your available credit limit)
    No additional fees. No hidden charges. No installments.

This is a huge gamble. While not quite a Ponzi scheme in the normal sense, you are opening up a huge exposure to the price of bitcoin. There are no background checks for somebody getting a loan, you don't even have to upload an ID for some levels. Bitcoin has been volatile in the past - if there is a sharp reduction in the bitcoin price, people will stop repaying their loans (why pay back a $10k loan if the collateral you used is now only worth $5k?), the company has no funds coming in and worthless assets and all your money is gone.

No harm having a punt and it seems to have worked out well so far as long as you are aware that this is a gamble. Certainly not something you should put all your savings into imo

They have already gone though the massive boom bust cycle of bitcoin though without anyone losing deposits or the company going bust. Bitcoin dropped far more than in your example even.
    Sounds a lot like the Bitconnect scam. High unsustainable interest rates. Leaving your Bitcoin on deposit with them etc.

It will work for a while and you might make your 10% but most likely it will collapse and take your deposit with it.

It’s nothing even remotely like bitconnet. For a start people who lost money in bitconnect lost because they owned the currency which lost its value. My money in Nexo is euro not in any crypto.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They have already gone though the massive boom bust cycle of bitcoin though without anyone losing deposits or the company going bust. Bitcoin dropped far more than in your example even.

It's not a fall in the value of the security alone that will cause the house of cards to collapse, it's when the borrowers start to default en masse. Which is likely to happen when you get a lethal combination of a massive downturn in the global economy and a fall in the value of the security. If a large cohort of borrowers have a problem with their repayments and it dawns on them that their security is worth less than the outstanding debt, they will simply walk away and the company will collapse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

People just appear to want it not to be true.

And you seem to want it to be true to the point that you are willing to ignore the obvious.

Just a couple of small example:

- According to their site they lend at 5.9% and pay depositors 10%... so how do they make money? If they are doing this they’d run into the same issue as the banks with the tracker mortgages - loans are not matched to the source of finance.

- If they had a sure way of generating a 10% return why do the need to offer it to the general public? They could have a much simpler life to just offer it on a secondary market.

- They have a lot of verbiage on their site about regulations etc but no details actually being supervised as a financial institution, why?
    I can tell you it’s not Nexo that is losing me money at the moment it’s my normal investments through leading organisations, that’s also all locked in not instantly withdrawable. As I said I’ve made multiple withdrawals, funds in my revolut account next working day.

Of course you did and in the best run schemes you would not expect any less, because this is what draws you in.
    Deposits are guaranteed by assets against them and an insurance policy that is quite clear.

Obviously not clear enough.. deposits are not guaranteed, but loans have a 2:1 crypto backing. And they have NO insurance policy, which should not be surprising since they have no interest in the underlying deposits. A thirty party custodian has a blanket €100m policy which means you might get a couple of Cents to the Euro.
    Just said I’d highlight this with such terrible interest rates in banks as people might be interested and to my surpise it’s not being talked about but it appears it’s all negativity.

Nobody pays you a rate of return beyond the odds unless you are taking on additional risk. With current rates below 1%, an offer at 10% would represent a substantial risk.

• Advertisement

My money in Nexo is euro not in any crypto.

You have NO money in Nexo, that is how far off you are from understanding how this works. They need to be a licensed bank to accept deposits from the public. They are using BitGo as a custodian and the guarantee you have been on about covers digital assets (crypto) on deposit with them.

In the interest on being informative which was my intention with posting I will be sticking with the 8% interest as while I thought initially the 8 was being upped to 10% but in fact the extra 2% requires some additional steps that at this time are not of interest to me. I will still be going ahead with moving a nice chunk of cash over though as I had been planning it anyway and already initiated the first transfer last night actually.

People are entitled to their opinion and I know some are very risk averse (and afraid of anything new) but to be honest and I will say it again its the fairly "safe" regulated investments I'm in that are making me sweat, which have a lot more money riding than in nexo and even if they went as well as possible would do well match the interest made in nexo (on a lower amount). The reality is I will be happy with my money back on them due to the hit by corona.

Some people just hate that there are ways to make a bit more interest on their money it appears.
    Jim2007 wrote: »
    You have NO money in Nexo, that is how far off you are from understanding how this works. They need to be a licensed bank to accept deposits from the public. They are using BitGo as a custodian and the guarantee you have been on about covers digital assets (crypto) on deposit with them.

Firstly you dont need to be a bank to accept deposits, revolut is the proof of that. Secondly when you save money in nexo you transfer money into a swiss bank account in their name so yes I have money in Nexo.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Most people are careful with money. Ask yourself why all of Ireland doesn't have their savings with Nexo and their 8% return? No bank comes close to that. If it was a clear cut as you say, why isn't everyone on it? This is not the worlds best kept secret.

The vast vast majority of poople have never heard of it for a start, people dont inserstand it and are afraid, not tech savy any number of reasons. I'm not advocating lumping all your money into it either but to me its worth a decent punt.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    and you want to risk all your cash savings on 8% return? That's absolutely crazy.

At the end of the day its your money.

8% is actually quite a good return, you are making it sound like its not. Also its not all my cash savings, its the savings I can easily get my hands on and would make up about 1/8 of my overall savings and investments nearly half of which is in a regulated investment though a major institution that if it matured today I would lose a significant amount - the very type of thing that would be considered being careful with your money.

It is my money and I've invested in traditional funds, I hold a number of crypto currencies, some punts on stocks, own land, hold money in nexo and have bank savings so I'm not afraid to go after a decent return and play around with my money.

Nexo are 4 years in business and have a parent company 13 years in existence they are not some smash and grab company that some are making them out to be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Interest rates are on the floor. The banks are actually charging corporates to hold deposits in certain cases. It's not therefore much of a stretch to figure out that this isn't a deposit account in the normal sense.

8% is highly attractive in today's world. If it was that simple nobody would continue in traditional deposits.

Comes down to the old adage - risk and reward. This seems to offer a very high return so the downside should be equally obvious. It therefore has to carry very significant risk. There's no getting away from that.

In addition it's unregulated, and isn't authorized either.

Any positive return is subject to marginal rate tax, and if you lose there's no deposit protection.

Some people will always be lured in by snake oil salesmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

In no way is this an investment or savings vehicle, its a gamble on the creditworthiness of Nexo "borrowers" which by the very nature of their service will be poor and the price of bitcoin.

Withdrawals are instant... until one day they're not.

Sometimes the smartest financial decisions come down to where you are in life and not the nuts and bolts. Don't risk your housing deposit, the downside just isn't worth the few k you may make. If you really want a punt, go and buy 2k worth of TSLA options or something.

https://bit.ly/3e8S4HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This reddit thread raises lots of unanswered questions if you scroll down through it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexo/comments/cjp6sx/due_diligence_on_nexo_red_flags/

Basically they are not a regulated financial company. V risky to be going near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This move to 10% was the push I needed to move larger sums over to Nexo as it’s just free money (this is house deposit money etc that I don’t want locking into investments), 100 euro for every 1000 on deposit is a serious return for what is no risk from what I can see.

Really surprised I’m not seeing more people talking about it or using it.

As I said I’ve had a few k in there for over a year now constantly and I was also maxing my credit card into Revolut and transferring to Nexo for 50 days and then back out to pay off the credit and repeat so I’ve done loads of withdrawals also and they are very fast and smooth. This also maxed my cash back on the cc but has to stop as there is now a risk of the cc seeing Revolut as a cash advance which has high fees etc so not worth while.

Regardless of the investment, your financial behaviour in post two there will set massive alarm bells off when you go look for a mortgage with that house deposit

But then you own land and other assets so I’m sure you know what you’re doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Which regulator oversees this nox?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

Just to add the insurance policy that exists between Lloyds and BitGo (where Nexo appears to hold their Bitcoin) covers digital assets. Any cash you deposit with them is not covered.

https://medium.com/nexo/nexo-is-the-only-crypto-lender-to-offer-crypto-custodian-insurance-83e3cc5bd378

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

codrulz wrote: »
    In no way is this an investment or savings vehicle, its a gamble on the creditworthiness of Nexo "borrowers" which by the very nature of their service will be poor and the price of bitcoin.

Withdrawals are instant... until one day they're not.

Sometimes the smartest financial decisions come down to where you are in life and not the nuts and bolts. Don't risk your housing deposit, the downside just isn't worth the few k you may make. If you really want a punt, go and buy 2k worth of TSLA options or something.

You're telling a person who can't spot a ponzi scheme to start trading options?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Better he losses 2k and cops on, rather than lose his whole housing deposit.

Damn you got a point there

I'm not new to this, I've been playing around with a lot more than 2k in cryptos and have had more than that in Nexo for over a year now also, ticking away making more money for me than multiples of the amount in traditional investments.
    Dodge wrote: »
    Regardless of the investment, your financial behaviour in post two there will set massive alarm bells off when you go look for a mortgage with that house deposit

It will be gone of my statement by the time I'd be applying, only need 6 months and even if it wasn't I'd have no issue explaining it, not a thing wrong with it bar being smart and earning interest on using the banks money. Also its small change playing around with the 2 or 3k limit on a cc.

Your posts are very condescending, its not a ponzi scheme and I would easily spot one.

I have said a number of times it's not the full deposit, it's only a minority of it thats sitting in cash that I want instant access to but want to make a bit of money on while its sitting there. My fixed monthly savings amount also goes in there.

My point has been continually ignored that my normal regulated investments are the ones risking me losing money not savings held in nexo. Even my cryptos while down overall have been very stable and slightly up all though covid.

I'm not trying to be condescending. Look it seems like there's no talking you out of this at all so best of luck with it and I really hope you aren't back here in 12 months wiped out

Firstly you dont need to be a bank to accept deposits, revolut is the proof of that. Secondly when you save money in nexo you transfer money into a swiss bank account in their name so yes I have money in Nexo.

Revolut is a licensed bank. And if you are transferring money into a Swiss bank accounting in their name, then all the talk you had is about the guarantee goes out the window, since as I have already pointed out the only guarantee mentioned on their site is one for a third party custodian.

• Advertisement

Joe Schmo wrote: »
    Just to add the insurance policy that exists between Lloyds and BitGo (where Nexo appears to hold their Bitcoin) covers digital assets. Any cash you deposit with them is not covered.

https://medium.com/nexo/nexo-is-the-only-crypto-lender-to-offer-crypto-custodian-insurance-83e3cc5bd378

Already pointed out, as was the point that they are not regulated by FINMA (as they are Swiss) and the questionable business model of lending at 5.9% while paying interest at 8% - 10%....

But the OP is going to do this no matter what. And at this point the exercise is to ensure other readers of the thread have a bigger picture.

Which regulator oversees this nox?

They are a Swiss registered software house and lending platform, so FINMA.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Revolut is a licensed bank. .

Revolut have a banking licence in Lithuania only and have been operating long before they had that and in all other countries with an e-money licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Bitconnect 2.0

you are mad Nox, you will learn the hard way unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Anyone tried the Nexo crowd? nexo.io

They claim to offer 8% AER interest on savings paid daily with instant access to your savings.... seems too good to be true.

Especially when compared to the terrible rates offered by Irish banks, usually lacking instant access & the inability to top up your savings.

They don’t charge DIRT & claim there is no Capital Gains Tax to be paid supposedly.

The minimum top up amount is €1000 so in a day you’d earn 21c.

This is not a savings product. This is a lending product and the provider of the cash is exposed to the credit of the borrower secured on the crypto assets which they have deposited. This is akin to Zopa, Funding Circle etc except that the loan is against the crypto assets which are inherently volatile.

I am not saying it is a ****ty asset but it cannot be compared to a bank deposit or a bond product in any way.

It’s nothing even remotely like bitconnet. For a start people who lost money in bitconnect lost because they owned the currency which lost its value. My money in Nexo is euro not in any crypto.

It’s this last bit that you have wrong. The only security you have for your loan is the crypto. The crypto owner is using your loan to finance/refinance the crypto. While liquidity continues to drive into the market, it supports the increasing value of the crypto which allows the crypto owner to pay you 8% and keep any additional value in the coin. If the coin falls, you take the loss subject to whatever limited credit protection might be available from the “insurance” or “guarantee”. The crypto owner takes all the upside on the coin subject to you receding 8% per annum and taking substantially all the downside.

The issue which has arisen for similar lending programmes is that while in theory you can cash out daily if there is any market event there will be insufficient liquidity in the coin to allow you to get out quickly meaning that you are exposed to the loss.

This is a great trade for directional investors who have strong knowledge of the liquidity/price impacts of central bank positive intervention. Is that you?

Edit: just checked and the insurance covers hacks of the crypto vaults etc. There is no additional credit protection for the lender; the only security is the value of the coin meaning you are taking a capped 8% yield, giving up all the upside above that but taking all the downside. There might be value in a portfolio spread but this seems a costly way to acquire it.

Just to be clear, the sine qua non of accepting deposits is to be a bank (or a credit institution in EU regulatory parlance). Revolut operates in the U.K. and Ireland as an electronic money institution and not as a bank. (It has a Lithuanian banking licence which is not used for its principal businesses.). An EMI is allowed to accept client money to facilitate the making of payments etc. The money has to be held in a credit institution (in a segregated money account for the benefit of the EMI’s customers) but doesn’t benefit from the deposit guarantee. I am not knocking Revolut at all but this is little different from an An Post money card or a OneforAll card.

Nexo doesn’t even have any of those protections.

If your EUR regulate dprofucts are cash/deposit products they will absolutely be losing you money because of the risk-off nature of the past 7 years which have meant effect EUR rates are below zero without significant risk. Moving from those to Nexo for substantial sums would be moving from riding a bike to riding a motor cycle without a helmet. It’s very likely that nothing will go wrong but when it does it’s Goodnight Saigon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

irkrpmmt1hw21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

I'd steer well clear, and having money n it that you want for a house deposit, that is just madness.

Like previous posts said, sounds a lot like bitconnect. The Video itself shows you how crazy those guys were. Your money is going to them, and not to you. Get out now while you can still get your money !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabXXkZjKiw

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/01/17/bitconnect-bitcoin-scam-cryptocurrency/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm going to review this thread later.

There's a lot of false claims in it and a danger that innocent people could be misled by it.

My initial thought is that it should be closed and a few warnings should be given out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement