Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

The guy on the red bike

  • 03-07-2019 6:30pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ChewyLouie


    Whats the deal with the guy on the red bike that cycles around with an action camera filming motorists in traffic?

    Seen him around a lot recently, camera in hand and either filming randomly in front and behind him every few seconds or picking out cars in traffic and pointing his camera at the car as he passed.

    He's constantly cycling on footpaths and through red lights so he's hardly a stickler for the ROTR.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭ ?Cee?view


    ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Whats the deal with the guy on the red bike that cycles around with an action camera filming motorists in traffic?

    Seen him around a lot recently, camera in hand and either filming randomly in front and behind him every few seconds or picking out cars in traffic and pointing his camera at the car as he passed.

    He's constantly cycling on footpaths and through red lights so he's hardly a stickler for the ROTR.

    Where do you see him generally?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ ronnie3585




  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ChewyLouie


    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    Where do you see him generally?

    Along the dual carriageway between Briarhill and Tuam Rd, Sean Mulvoy Rd, Quin. Bridge.... mostly in the evenings after 6.

    Hope he has his GDPR paperwork in place for all that footage!


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭ dastardly00


    There is a guy on a bike often taking photos of the traffic around the Kingston Rd./Threadneedle Rd./Taylor's Hill/BO'D Rd. junctions in the morning time. Is it the same guy I wonder?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    ChewyLouie wrote:
    Hope he has his GDPR paperwork in place for all that footage!


    What GDPR paperwork?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 pure.conya


    ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Along the dual carriageway between Briarhill and Tuam Rd, Sean Mulvoy Rd, Quin. Bridge.... mostly in the evenings after 6.

    Hope he has his GDPR paperwork in place for all that footage!

    unless you plan on pulling over someday and giving over your private details to the guy well then why would he need GDPR paperwork to prove he can store and handle your details properly


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ChewyLouie


    Is it not personal enough data (to fall under GDPR) to be recording car registration plates, recording an image/video of the individual in the car and recording where they were at that time?

    If so they'd need policy documents in place (data retention policy, privacy notice etc.).


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ChewyLouie


    Regardless of GDPR, anyone know his motivation? He seems to pick out random cars stuck in lines of traffic and record them. I would understand if they were parked illegally or blocking a cycle lane etc but it seems very random. The footage scanning in front and behind while cycling must be dizying to watch!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭ ?Cee?view


    There is a guy on a bike often taking photos of the traffic around the Kingston Rd./Threadneedle Rd./Taylor's Hill/BO'D Rd. junctions in the morning time. Is it the same guy I wonder?

    That's what I was wondering.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭ what_traffic


    ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Is it not personal enough data (to fall under GDPR) to be recording car registration plates, recording an image/video of the individual in the car and recording where they were at that time?

    If so they'd need policy documents in place (data retention policy, privacy notice etc.).

    Can you link to this?
    Do you need to have policy documents in place (data retention policy, privacy notice etc.) for Dash Cams used by loads of cars that have them on Windscreens as well?


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭ connemara man


    Can you link to this?
    Do you need to have policy documents in place (data retention policy, privacy notice etc.) for Dash Cams used by loads of cars that have them on Windscreens as well?

    You are well within your right to ask a taxi driver (as an example) to turn off an inward facing camera or delete the footage as you leave the car,

    Any person seeing this guy record them can do the same, and if he doesn't comply he can be reported, especially if he is uploading the footage online,


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭ ?Cee?view


    ronnie3585 wrote: »

    I see he's reinvented himself a bit. No longer Cosain. He's now Cosain Climate. He must have been boring even himself :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭ what_traffic


    You are well within your right to ask a taxi driver (as an example) to turn off an inward facing camera or delete the footage as you leave the car,
    What about OUTward facing camera on the DASH? Lots of Taxis and NON-Taxis using them?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭ ?Cee?view


    You are well within your right to ask a taxi driver (as an example) to turn off an inward facing camera or delete the footage as you leave the car,

    Any person seeing this guy record them can do the same, and if he doesn't comply he can be reported, especially if he is uploading the footage online,

    Correct, if it's the same guy as the Kingston Road, Threadneedle guy, he's a menace. I've my kids warned to never engage with him and to block their faces when we see him if they're in the car with me. He has a favourite light pole he hides behind. There's something very comical about an adult trying to hide behind a pole :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭ ?Cee?view


    What about OUTward facing camera on the DASH? Lots of Taxis and NON-Taxis using them?

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/q-a-how-to-ensure-your-dash-cam-does-not-infringe-privacy-law-1.3727572


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭ what_traffic


    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    Correct, if it's the same guy as the Kingston Road, Threadneedle guy, he's a menace. I've my kids warned to never engage with him and to block their faces when we see him if they're in the car with me. He has a favourite light pole he hides behind. There's something very comical about an adult trying to hide behind a pole :D
    Careful now... not alone are you going off topic; its not the same person. Read OP again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭ ?Cee?view


    Careful now... not alone are you going off topic; its not the same person. Read OP again.

    You sure it's not the same guy?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭ what_traffic


    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    You sure it's not the same guy?

    100%. One is static, the other is not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭ what_traffic


    ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Whats the deal with the guy on the red bike that cycles around with an action camera filming motorists in traffic?

    Seen him around a lot recently, camera in hand and either filming randomly in front and behind him every few seconds or picking out cars in traffic and pointing his camera at the car as he passed.

    He's constantly cycling on footpaths and through red lights so he's hardly a stickler for the ROTR.

    Nearly certain he posts on this handle
    https://twitter.com/nope


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko


    Don't identify individuals.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭ what_traffic


    biko wrote: »
    Don't identify individuals.

    Post 3


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko


    We'll stop here


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement