Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buttering toast, straight away or wait until the bread is hard?

Options
  • 03-07-2019 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

What way do you all like to butter your toast?

Straight away so the butter melts into the bread making it go soft?

Waiting while the toast cools down and then buttering so it stays hard

I've always found both have a different taste to them

Do you butter your toast straight away or wait until it cools? 227 votes

Straight away
    70% 161 votes
    Wait until its cool
    29% 66 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,176 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

thread needs a poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Genuine question: why would you toast it and wait for it to cool? Just for the added crunch? For me, the point of toasting is precisely to make it warm and easy to slop with butter (and jam. Or cheese. Or garlicky mushrooms..... anyone else starving?)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

What the **** kind of protestant bull**** is this? Leaving toast get cold. Get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

It depends - If I'm making a toasted rasher sandwich then straight away. If I'm just eating plain toast then I wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Either do it straight away or leave it get totally cold.

Nothing worse than in the middle half melted butter mush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

while hot... very hot.... hot enough so all the (real) butter melts... Unmelted butter, whilst allowable and eatable, is not that desirable compared to its melted version.

And in case anyone asks , the bread must be toasted brown, not that warm white colour!!

Everything has rules !! even toast making...….. :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Lightly toasted and melted unless I'm having soldiers with eggs then loads of butter on it cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

If im having toast with only butter then straight away so the butter melts. If making a sandwich with fillings then will wait till it cools a bit as not to ruin the fillings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Both depending on mood.

Rule #1 - Use pure Kerrygold butter. Do you use spreadable butter with all that palm oil muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

What the **** kind of protestant bull**** is this? Leaving toast get cold. Get out!

Funny you mention Protestant toast, when we were kids we were always told the round end of a pan bread was the protestant end, so there was always fights with the brother over who got the Catholic end.

Oh and on the butter part, don't care once I can make teeth marks in it

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Just let it cool enough that the butter won't totally melt.

It's all about timing. Butter too quick and the butter will melt away. too slow and the toast will be too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭threetrees

I don't like melted butter, but I don't like hard toast. I like it a bit crunchy and cooled such that the butter doesn't melt, but the toast is still a bit warm.

Can you tell I don't let anyone make me toast? I'm a bit fussy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Just let it cool enough that the butter won't totally melt.

It's all about timing. Butter too quick and the butter will melt away. too slow and the toast will be too cold.

Chew the toast to a mushy pulp in your gob, then spoon in the butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is a test. Those who wait for the toast to cool are obviously Lizard people.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Somewhere in the middle!
    It also may depend on how hard the butter is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That’s cold man. Not hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Some like it hot. In my case the hotter the better. Then the butter goes on all smooth and golden. Gorgeous with a lovely hot mug of tea.

I love both. Cold toast that has gone slightly chewy is actually gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Leave it a good five minutes before buttering

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone else toast bread single-sided (2 in one slot....... so to speak) and the form a wigwam* of sorts, so that the toast can cool down without getting soggy?

*tm everlast75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I'm fairly sure my Nana used to have a toast rack that looked like the part of a dish strainer you put your plates in. By that logic the idea would be to let it cool? That said I like my toast hot with melty butter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I butter it straight away but the missus butters it then puts it back in the toaster for a few seconds to make sure the butter melts fully

Flip it after 60 seconds each side, then season it

Put in tin foil allow to sit then pour the hot butter in. Thank me later

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Put in tin foil allow to sit then pour the hot butter in. Thank me later

From the cardiac department?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Warm with no butter. Delish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It depends on my mood. If I haven't been getting any sex I mightn't even be hungry like.

One thing though, if the butter is only coming out of the fridge and the bread is overdone and cold there could be all sorts of trouble.

If its a fresh batch loaf i want it toasted hard as concrete and melted in to phuck.

everlast75 wrote: »
    From the cardiac department?

Whatever. The secret is in emulsifying the toast and by the grace of god it’ll turn out ok

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

everlast75 wrote: »
    Anyone else toast bread single-sided (2 in one slot....... so to speak) and the form a wigwam* of sorts, so that the toast can cool down without getting soggy?

*tm everlast75

Toasting the bread on just one side is just deviant behavior. Even the Protestants wouldn't be that depraved.
    elfy4eva wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure my Nana used to have a toast rack that looked like the part of a dish strainer you put your plates in. By that logic the idea would be to let it cool? That said I like my toast hot with melty butter

Toast racks are designed to stop the toast going soggy by putting warm toast on a plate. The bread cooling is an unfortunate side-effect. While I understand why they use them in hotels because they'd be churning out so much toast at the same time, I can't see why anyone would have one at home as you'd usually just butter the toast as it's done.
    PsychoPete wrote: »
    I butter it straight away but the missus butters it then puts it back in the toaster for a few seconds to make sure the butter melts fully

Do you not end up with a pool of molten butter at the bottom of the toaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I generally eat brown bread with healthy seeds in it. It's alright and is marginally better for me, I think.

But the best toast is made with white bread, lightly toasted and buttered straight away with real butter. I'd sit and eat a whole sliced pan of it if I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

There are some things that it’s good to wait till it’s hard. Buttering toast isn’t one of them.

Advertisement