Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I lost enough weight?

Options
  • 01-07-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I was just hoping to get some feedback on whether I've lost enough weight or not.
    Basically I'm a 50 year old male who was over 21 stone a few years back.
    I've worked hard to get down to where I now am which is around 14 stone 7 pounds. I'm 6 foot 2 inches.
    People are telling me I've lost either enough or too much and that I don't look well. But I still have a lot of belly fat and any BMI calculator I look at tells me I'm still a bit overweight.
    I'm upset over this now because my missus thinks I've gone too far even though I've explained to her that I'm showing as overweight using BMI calculations.
    I don't exercise much. Just run maybe 5k twice a week and cycle 6k to and from work most days.
    Any thoughts or advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CaboRoig wrote: »
    I was just hoping to get some feedback on whether I've lost enough weight or not.
    I've worked hard to get down to where I now am which is around 14 stone 7 pounds. I'm 6 foot 2 inches.
    People are telling me I've lost either enough or too much and that I don't look well. But I still have a lot of belly fat and any BMI calculator I look at tells me I'm still a bit overweight.
    I'm upset over this now because my missus thinks I've gone too far even though I've explained to her that I'm showing as overweight using BMI calculations.
    I don't exercise much. Just run maybe 5k twice a week and cycle 6k to and from work most days.

No one can really answer that question but you, to be perfectly honest. In terms of BMI and health, yes you might still be in an overweight category, but your BMI and health compared to what it was when you were 21 stone is incredibly better off. And while you still have a lot of belly fat, I bet you look a hell of a lot better than you did.

I would say the reason your wife and other people think you've lost too much or gone too far is just because they were so used to seeing how you used to look, that such a big change just makes them worried that you could go too far. There is also the question of maybe your wife might think losing more weight could make you less attractive to her (I say this as a stranger on the internet who knows nothing of you or your wife, just saying it can happen).

The real question, and it's one only you can answer, is do you want to lose more weight? Regardless of BMI or specific numbers, are you happy with where you are now? If so, I don't think there's any problem with staying as you are, or even working on losing weight a bit more slowly over time and not focusing on diet/exercise as much. Losing weight more slowly will be less noticeable to people too which should keep them off your back. On the other hand, if you yourself do want to lose more weight, I say go for it!

Just don't get too hung up on the BMI number. While it can be a pretty good indicator, it's not without its flaws. Maybe the best course of action if you do want to continue losing weight is to visit your GP and check with them. Get your bodyfat % measured, blood pressure etc, and see what they say. At least then you can use the defense that your doctor has given you the go ahead.

Congrats on your losses so far though. That's a great achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

Thanks for that. It's very helpful. I had actually thought that I need to see my GP anyway. Unfortunately I'm on a daily blood pressure tablet as a consequence of my years of being overweight and sedentary. Last time I asked my GP about possibly coming off the tablet, he indicated that he wouldn't think that was possible.
    I don't particularly "want" to lose anymore weight. I'm fine with how I am so I will take the doctor's advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thanks for that. It's very helpful. I had actually thought that I need to see my GP anyway. Unfortunately I'm on a daily blood pressure tablet as a consequence of my years of being overweight and sedentary. Last time I asked my GP about possibly coming off the tablet, he indicated that he wouldn't think that was possible.
    I don't particularly "want" to lose anymore weight. I'm fine with how I am so I will take the doctor's advice!

Sounds like the best way forward then. I'd say by at least keeping an eye on what you're eating and doing the running/cycling you are now, you might still drop a bit of weight slowly here and there regardless, and if you don't particularly want to lose any more weight, there's probably no issue with at least reducing the diet so you're not pushing at it as hard (but might still be dropping a bit of weight bringing you closer to a healthy BMI).

See what the GP says anyway. Either way at least you can blame it on them. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

blood pressure has a weight component so i'd be motivated to keep going

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LizzeyBenett

I think the not looking well comments might come because you are mostly doing cardio if you were to do weights and tone up it might help give you a healthier look ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement