Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Dorsey(Twitter) lays the groundwork to finally censor Trump

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

the reality of it is that those will not be the 'money makers'

these sites are funded off advertising, data that drives sales and transactions on site. Women are responsible for over 80% of consumer spending, LGBT people are a an almost trillion dollar buying force worldwide , these are the two groups least likely to be conservative. Conversely conservatives are most likely to be white straight men, who as a group are least likely to click internet ads, least likely to use an online charitable donation platform and are responsible for single digit percentage consumer spending in the US despite representing over 35% of the population.

Sounds a bit nuts. Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Even if it is true is misses out on one fundamental and critical thing, once it becomes apparent that big business is setting what is being consumed and thought people will look to other places for community.

Especially if the likes of trump or authoritarian type people fix the likes of twitter and facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

women consumer spending : https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/329780
    LGBT market power : https://www.forbes.com/sites/debtfreeguys/2018/08/14/the-1-trillion-marketing-executives-are-ignoring/#50206537a97f
    women 83% more likely to spend on virtual goods (in app purchases etc..): https://www.thedailybeast.com/who-spends-the-most-money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

No, absolutely nothing like Twitter, facebook et al are today. You had one choice of phone company. that one choice was usually AT&T. you could not move to another phone company. that is absolutely nothing like social media.
    Saying 'that one choice was usually AT&T' is correct and a validation AT&T did have competition. I only had one choice and it was the phone company owned by my town, not AT&T.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,260 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

notobtuse wrote: »
    Saying 'that one choice was usually AT&T' is correct and a validation AT&T did have competition. I only had one choice and it was the phone company owned by my town, not AT&T.

and they got their equipment from AT&T. Listen, i'm not going to continue this line with you as you clearly have no intention of actually listening to what i'm saying. Ironic username FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Twitter say that they wouldn't be deleting the content (certainly of big name posters like Trump) , but simply flagging it as having breached the TOS but leaving the tweets in place as they would be of "public interest".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Twitter say that they wouldn't be deleting the content (certainly of big name posters like Trump) , but simply flagging it as having breached the TOS but leaving the tweets in place as they would be of "public interest".
    Yes, you are correct... that's what they said. But they'll be putting the mark of shame on his posts. Call me crazy but I highly doubt they will be handing out their cards fairly. And the press will be jumping on these marked tweets by Trump non-stop in their efforts to take him down by any methods available?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

notobtuse wrote: »
    Yes, you are correct... that's what they said. But they'll be putting the mark of shame on his posts. Call me crazy but I highly doubt they will be handing out their cards fairly. And the press will be jumping on these marked tweets by Trump non-stop in their efforts to take him down by any methods available?

almost certainly , theyll start a story with "this symbol is used on twitter for flagging hate speech and racism, these neo nazis had posts flagged, tommy robinson had posts flagged and trump had posts flagged "
    when the same symbol is used for a wide ranging variety of reasons and can even just be automated by enough 'report button clicks'

itll be twisted to lump him in with people literally advocating for gassing minorities or equally offensive content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

As long as they lump antifa in with it as well that could be there get out clause.

If they only have the right groups and bot the left ones it will be problematic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Calhoun wrote: »
    As long as they lump antifa in with it as well that could be there get out clause.

If they only have the right groups and bot the left ones it will be problematic.

Herein lies the problem. There seems to be only one side making all the complaints. Both twitter and boards have alluded to this. The point was made in another thread about moderation that it was encouraging conservative people to report more. That this could become a race to the report button, and will become a nightmare to moderate. I believe extreme liberals are knowingly using it as a tactic in the culture wars.(this among many)

What we're seeing though, is not huge increases in conservative objections. Only one ideology is objecting to 'words' on their own,-completely out of context, general held principles of freedom of speech and suppressing discussion.

I guess only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

To quote Conor McGregor: "YOU'LL DO FUKIN NUTHIN!!!"

Trump is the only reason that ****ty platform is still relevant. No Trump and Twitter finally goes the way of Myspace and Bebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    To quote Conor McGregor: "YOU'LL DO FUKIN NUTHIN!!!"

Trump is the only reason that ****ty platform is still relevant. No Trump and Twitter finally goes the way of Myspace and Bebo.

If Trump decided to move platform, then you'd have CNN and everyone reporting on this new social media network on a daily basis.

It'd be the same as the election all that free advertisement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Varik wrote: »
    If Trump decided to move platform, then you'd have CNN and everyone reporting on this new social media network on a daily basis.

It'd be the same as the election all that free advertisement.

Exactly. These media outlets that love to bash Trump need him.

Advertisement