Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone FTTH with 3rd Party Router + VOIP

Options
  • 30-06-2019 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi All

Not sure if this should be in the VoIP section or here?

Currently with Eir and their 'eFibre' package with my landline phone via the POTS, (plugged into master socket and not the RJ11 socket of the F1000).

My setup is making use of Eirs F1000 device and its setup in bridge mode with my Cisco 1841 behind doing routing/firewall duties configured in a router on a stick setup and my wifi provided via various access points around the house

I am looking to move to FTTH with vodafone and as my 1841 wont do Gigabit line speeds i am looking to replace it with a PFSense box for routing/firewall duties.

From what I have read on the forums, it seems that i can plug the WAN interface directly into the ONT that will be installed. However, the missus still makes use of the landline and will want the current number porting over to Vodafone's "Broadband talk" which i believe is VoIP.

This is where my confusion starts. I cant find any information anywhere as to the VoIP settings for Vodafone that would allow my to use my own ATA device to convert my analogue phone to work over VoIP or to plug a VoIP handset into my switch to use without conversion.

Does Vodafone refuse to share this info with residential customers?

If so, can anyone confirm if the following setup does work?

ONT > PFSense Box > Managed Switch > Vodafone Gigabox Wan > Analogue phone

Whereby the vodafone Gigabox would have the WAN interface configured to obtain IP address from the PFSense Box via DHCP with no VLAN tagging

I'm hoping that using the Gigabox as an ATA will work as a last resort.

Thanks for reading, hopefully I've made sense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

1) Vodafone will not give out the SIP password so you can't use your own ATA.

2) The setup you describe may work but it is not ideal. I believe another poster here is doing similar with an eir F2000 and it works for him. There is the potential for double NAT and subsequent audio issues.

3) Another option to try would be to connect a cheap gigabit switch to the ONT. Then pfSense and Vodafone router to the switch. Set both for PPPoE (try any username and password on the second device). See if both connect and get separate public IP addresses. If they do just let the Vodafone router do VoIP.

This may or may not work. The procedure works for eir but may not for Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

1) Vodafone will not give out the SIP password so you can't use your own ATA.

There is the potential for double NAT and subsequent audio issues.

Thanks for the feedback. Very frustrating that its all kept secret, i can understand them not wanting to support every Joe and his "own setup" but doesnt mean they have to keep it all locked down :(

Double NAT completely skipped my mind so thanks for the reminder!

This just may be one of those things that's not possible without too much jiggerypokery and since Vodafone are offering the voice package without any additional cost its not like i can just port the number to another provider without the additional cost... sigh

Hi @navi

Had a thought at 5am this morning and i don't quite know how this would behave and if there is even the option on the Gigabox to do so but, to overcome the double NAT issue.

Would it not be possible to disable NAT on the WAN interface of the Gigabox?

I would only be plugging in a single handset to the Gigabox phone socket to make use of the ATA function, therefore I'm not sharing that box's WAN connection with any other device so should be able to work off the IP address provided by the PFSense box via DHCP?

Could be completely off the mark but thought i'd ask your opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I've never used the Gigabox so I don't know if you can disable NAT. However as I said previously it may work without you changing any settings.

no worries, just trying to run through all the options in my head before committing.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I came across this problem as well but found a solution that works for me. The ONT in my case (Urban FTTH) at least has a 10Gb lan port plus also some other yellow ones. I have my Edgemax router plugged into the 10Gb port. Having tried and failed to get port forwarding etc. to work, I resorted to doing a factory reset on the Gigabox router and plugging it into one of the other lan ports on the ONT. Now the Edgemax based network continues to work away as normal (930down 96up) but separately I have the Vodafone router plugged in solely for the Tel1 port to give me the analog phone signal. Perhaps this generates two WAN IPs and at some stage Vodafone might clamp down but as of now it works perfectly. Hope this helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Interesting. SIRO or OpenEir?

For users with the single port ONT(more common I think) then a switch could enable the same setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Confirmed this setup works with OpenEir (Vodafone), real shame they won't give the VoIP settings

Update: I was given my SIP username+password - they also gave a server which doesn't seem to respond and digging online shows a vodafone.ie server but only resolves with Vodafone DNS. Waiting for a ATA adapter to do more testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

What were the server addresses?

• Advertisement

Username +353********@ims.vodafone.ie 

Password ***********  

Server:10.102.5.225

From other searching, i did find a config file online which showed the use of RegistrarServer="sipcie.vodafone.ie" and X_SIPDomain="ims.vodafone.ie"

I've tried various combinations, I can't get it working

Yea, I cant get working either. Depending on my combinations I get either Request Timeout or Bad Gateway.

I found the domain IMS.V*** didn't resolve unless I used the Vodafone DNS on the voip adapter, something to keep in mind maybe with your testing

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cream2000

I recently upgraded from FTTC to FTTH with Vodafone, with FTTC I was able to use my PSTN line for my landline and had the Vodafone router in bridge mode to my Asus router which does all the work for me - OpenVpn etc. Now with VoIP through the Gigabox I am in the double nat situation even though I turn off everything on the Gigabox. I would love to use a Sip softphone on my mobile if I could get it working with Vodafone - free landline calls that come with the Vodafone contract, and dump the Gigabox, has anyone tried this? Gets rid of the need for an ATA and the Gigabox altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

Given that that's a 10.x.x.x/8 address, it would be private... Would there be a different VLAN that the SIP traffic goes over?

Excellent question, no idea - I think from the ISP modem its a pingable address so maybe.

Note that someone dumped the config of a Vodafone router here - https://www.diffchecker.com/ad0dcbqg# - you can see the VoIP details, server, port etc.

I made a bit of progress using sipcie.vodafone.ie as the server.

If I connect my PC back to the Vodafone router (HG659) instead of my own 3rd party one I can get MicroSip to log in and make outgoing calls (incoming doesn't work, I suspect port forward needed but their router doesn't allow you to forward 5060).

The HG659 has a second WAN interface for "Voice" (IPTV_ethernet, there is also an Internet_ethernet which seems to be the main WAN). This seems to be connected as if I disable it then MicroSip can't login again.

Stuck there now as don't know how I would replicate that. Maybe someone else might have some ideas?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd be interested to keep up with this, I have some fritzboxes in place already, but am getting vodafone siro this week. I'd like to have just the fritzboxes, keeping the voip. Is the password visible in the vodafone menu, or did you need to get it from vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I wonder if the voice traffic goes over a separate VLAN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ianx

JFYI - I got option 3 (cheap Gig switch between ONT and router(s) to work with NBI FTTH supplied by Vodafone.

I now have 2 routers attached to the ONT. The first is the Gigabox which I will only use for Voice over BB and then a proper router to do everything else.

What kind of speed can you get with both running at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ianx

You got me! - The "proper router" for now is an old Eir F1000 but with the Zyxel (VMG8324-B10A) just to test the set up. So speed test are inconclusive - but there doesnt appear to be any more availabel than the 950Mb/s download in agregate

I wasn't expecting more, but as I was half thinking was that the "primary" router, the one from Vodafone with the VoIP stuff, would have priority and get nearly full whack of download, but your new secondary router would get a small amount of bandwidth, like under 10mb/s or something... but if it shares the 950, and only small amounts of traffic are required by the VoIP side of things, then happy days! that is one way around the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

I am switching to VF FTTH from Eir FTTH in the next week or so and would like to have phone through VF gigabox and internet through my existing ASUS router, I have seen in another thread how to configure the ASUS. I have a gigabit switch(netgear) but what do I configure on the GIGABOX. In other words I cant get my head round 2 routers connected to one ONT.

It would be great if I knew in advance what to do as VF are sending an engineer to visit and I want to hide my ASUS but get it back working same day.

Is it as simple as plugging a lan cable into the gigabox and then phone into phone socket? I have a panasonic DECT phone system so assuming that will work!!

HELP

If your Netgear switch is managed, you just need to tag VLAN 10 on the ports. Plug the ONT and the WAN ports of both modems into the switch. That should be it.

Thank you. No my switch is unmanaged but I can get this one on amazon de

GS308E-100UKS Gigabit Ethernet Managed Plus Desktop-Switch

and I should be good to go.

unless

Something just dawned on me about this. Has anyone tried exporting the config file from their Gigabox to see if it has any clues as to how the VoIP might work? I'd volunteer to take a look over one but since it would contain personal info (such as Wi-Fi passwords) it's probably best that I don't!

Just an update that smart switch works a treat and I get 2 routers instead of one!! VOIP not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 nr3

It's a good idea but it's encrypted unfortunately.

Advertisement