Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus driving / Career / Dublin Bus / Go Ahead Ireland

Options
  • 28-06-2019 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I have a few questions someone may be able to answer who has or still is working for either Dublin bus or Go Ahead. Im thinking of starting a career as a bus driver. I believe some companies are looking for drivers and offer some great packages, health,pension schemes etc etc.. can anyone shed some light??

•What are the shifts like driving a bus for a living? Long days,weekends etc?
    •What kind of balance of work/life does a career in driving a bus have?
    •Are the interviews and written asessments hard and what kind of questions does the test entail?

It would be nice to know what to expect if its a good decision so any general information or those who know whats its like for a living. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Do you already have a D licence or do you just have a car licence. You can apply to both DB and GAI with a car licence as long as you have a the D licence learner permit and CPC case study.

GAI
    https://www.goaheadireland.ie/bus-driver-ballymount-dublin

DB
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/Human-Resources/Professional-Bus-Drivers/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sbvrs184

Thanks for the links, I will have a look at them. Currently just a B licence but will be looking into doing my test for D licence.

Sbvrs184 wrote: »
    Thanks for the links, I will have a look at them. Currently just a B licence but will be looking into doing my test for D licence.

I'd just do the theory test and get the learner permit if I were you as both companies provide training to B licence holders as long as they have a D licence learner permit. I'd imagine it would be fairly expensive to do the training with a driving school. Best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sbvrs184

Yeh not a bad idea, any idea what shift work hours are like or any opinions on the questions I put up? Id hate to get into something without having done any research if its not for me. Thanks though for your input.

Yeh not a bad idea, any idea what shift work hours are like or any opinions on the questions I put up? Id hate to get into something without having done any research if its not for me. Thanks though for your input.

I'm don't work for either company and have never worked for them or as a bus driver so I can't comment on that unfortunately. But I'm thinking of getting into it in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In DB new drivers used to have to call in the night before to find out their route/hours for the next day. Don't know if the process has been improved, senior drivers have set routes/hours.

No idea how GA work but as they are private they'll work you to the limit of your driving hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Del2005 wrote: »
    In DB new drivers used to have to call in the night before to find out their route/hours for the next day. Don't know if the process has been improved, senior drivers have set routes/hours.

No idea how GA work but as they are private they'll work you to the limit of your driving hours.

The process has indeed improved,with Drivers now receiving 48 Hrs notice of duty allocation via text message.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

This would probably get more responses if it was moved to the main C&T forum. I used to drive for DB and a private company but its been some time ago now. There are current DB and GAI drivers active on the forum who would be of more use as to how things are today.

Advertisement