Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lots of late flights.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

trellheim wrote: »
    In Dublin Airport Tower who employs the controllers ? I presume the IAA or is it DAA ?

I did read the presentation somewhere about them flow controlling the inbounds but as far as I can tell the problem is not here but more about improved runway management vs a risk profile .... but where's the open discussion
    IAA employ the controllers and run ATC in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Mebuntu wrote: »
    In the (distant) past that was the everyday norm at DUB:

"Shamrock xxx do you have the landing company 737 in sight"

"We have him in sight, shamrock xxx"

"Shamrock xxx Behind the landing 737 line up and wait"

"Behind the landing 737 line up and wait, shamrock xxx"

I'm amazed to hear that this procedure is not being used nowadays. Why was it dropped?

One of the holding points (E1 I think but it may have changed recently) would give you a poor view of arriving traffic and it certainly would not be visible to the pilot in the right seat. I dont think this procedure should be used here. However there should be no such problem with aircraft lining up along runway 16/34 or indeed for runway 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

OK thanks help me out here.

IAA run tower , do they run Ground as well ? A mention was made up-thread about Ground Controllers, is that an IAA position or is it an actual qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

OK thanks help me out here.

IAA run tower , do they run Ground as well ? A mention was made up-thread about Ground Controllers, is that an IAA position or is it an actual qualification

Ground Movements and Clearance Delivery are part of the ATC service and, depending on their rating, a controller may at different times operate in other positions such as Air Movements (Tower) also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

Posts 31 and 38 in this thread refer to the POD who seem to be ground controllers in Post 31 and it is mentioned they are not, in Post 38. Which is correct ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Posts 31 and 38 in this thread refer to the POD who seem to be ground controllers in Post 31 and it is mentioned they are not, in Post 38. Which is correct ?
    Surface Movements Control are IAA empl and are responsible for the control of aircraft while they are leaving the ramp and on the taxiways
    The "POD" are DAA employees and are responsible for stand allocation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Arrived around midnight last night. Busy flight but Airport only had one stairs available for the front only. That coupled with ATC delaying the outgoing flight, it appears they were looking to make up time on the way back but there was no shortcut or earlier slot available to get into Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Will the new runway ease this problem? Or is it an ATC issue?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Bebop wrote: »
    Will the new runway ease this problem? Or is it an ATC issue?

It should ease ground congestion.
    One of the current issues seems to be a busy airport with all departures headng for a single takeoff point for RWY10 (or 2 close entry points if RWY28)
    Add to that you regularly have arriving aircraft having to get directed thru the departure queue.

In theory the 2nd runway should mean less chokepoint traffic. But it doesnt do anything about the above mentioned ATC spacing procedure. Or those it affect the stupid chokepoint at the end of the T2 pier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement