Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Gumbi wrote: »
    Going to be around Caherciveen area this weekend, any know of any reports around there of them being around? I'll report back here if I catch any.

Yeah plenty around here at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

Gumbi wrote: »
    Going to be around Caherciveen area this weekend, any know of any reports around there of them being around? I'll report back here if I catch any.

Was fishing 2 weeks ago off caherdaniel and had 6 or 8 in about 3 hrs so there's a few around. Not sure about off the shore though...

Anyone know how is going around killary /letterfrack/Renvyle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

nthclare wrote: »
    There's plenty of them turning up around West Clare, early morning seems to be the best time.

From the shore or boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Plenty in Cork harbour last month, small boat 20m off Camden fort jetty for mackerel, haddock off fort Carlisle, very close to the rocks just under the three pill boxes.
    Caught 15 in two hours. With feathers. 18 - 23' depth.

Nothing yesterday, but Plenty from mid June - mid July, (100+) all in the harbour, then hadn't been out till yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Tom44 wrote: »
    Plenty in Cork harbour last month, small boat 20m off Camden fort jetty for mackerel, haddock off fort Carlisle, very close to the rocks just under the three pill boxes.
    Caught 15 in two hours. With feathers. 18 - 23' depth.

Nothing yesterday, but Plenty from mid June - mid July, (100+) all in the harbour, then hadn't been out till yesterday.

Just in case it's what you meant, those aren't haddock in the photo, they're Pollock

• Advertisement

mawk wrote: »
    Just in case it's what you meant, those aren't haddock in the photo, they're Pollock
    Cheers
    What I know about fishing & fish types, you'd fit on a postage stamp. :)
    Scuba and boating for over 20 years, but only took up fishing with an Aldi telescopic rod last summer.

PS
    What are these?
    Never saw them before, again, in cork harbour. Caught two.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭malinheader

Cheers
    Scuba and boating for over 20 years, but only took up fishing with an Aldi telescopic rod last summer.

PS
    What are these?
    Thanks

Gurnard. Fresh Red Gurnard is one of the nicest fish you could eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nasty things to handle, many times I ripped the hand off myself with them :D. Never caught one on a line though, always been in a net.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭malinheader

Nasty things to handle, many times I ripped the hand off myself with them :D. Never caught one on a line though, always been in a net.

Used to use them for bait for the crab, old fella told me to try one to eat.unbelievable , Beautiful fish. To good for bait, but your right plenty of scars from the spike.

Their too nice to keep.
    Basin full was a once off for an elderly friend.

I've flattened all the barb's on my hooks with a vicegrips, so it makes it easier to unhook & release.
    I grab all fish with a bit of old jeans to save my hands, haven't had any complaints yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Cheers

PS
    What are these?
    Thanks

Really. I know they are used as a stock base in France, only ever heard of them being used as lobster pot bait.

Cork harbour, middle deep channel between Camden and Carlisle fort, 2pm Thursday 1/8/19
    Once you find the millions of sprat shoal, full of mackerel underneath 20' to 25' every dropping of a 5 hook line came up with 4
    Got boring after a while they were so plentyfull.
    Could have filled the (small) boat.
    Anyway
    Just thought I'd share that.

Beautiful day for it too. Which is a bonus this summer.

Edit
    Tons of birds diving into the water was a good location finder

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Navanman.

They were in Galway city last night at the mouth of the corríb river high tide man pulling in plenty in feathers. Went this morning tide out water level low not a bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

11 last night at Black Head in 15 mins about and hour before HT, nothing after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Any reports from north Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Czhornet wrote: »
    11 last night at Black Head in 15 mins about and hour before HT, nothing after that!

Caught 8 mackerel on 2 different casts (3 + 5)Friday night at Black Head just at FT. Stopped then as had enough for BBQ @ Fanore beach.

Caught a coal fish and put back in, seagull picked it up and returned also as seemed unimpressed by it. The coal fish was just gasping and about to swim off when fished out by another gull that swallowed it whole as chased by other gulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Any reports from Dalkey or Howth area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

mackerel turned up in kilmore this week A few got from the shore but angling boats could not get down through them in places . good size fish too

angling boats could not get down through them in places

Can you explain this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mackerel turned up in kilmore this week A few got from the shore but angling boats could not get down through them in places . good size fish too

From where in Kilmore? The beach off to the west? Tia

• Advertisement

Can you explain this?
    they were so thick they couldn't get the line's to the bottom to try for anything on the bottom. mackerel on every hook .

vicwatson wrote: »
    From where in Kilmore? The beach off to the west? Tia
    rosstoons town , east of kilmore . was high tide in the evening, that's always a help there . might be worth a try next week

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭padraigcarroll

Anyone have any reports of how Dublin Bay is doing?
    Last year was awful

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Spent a few hours yesterday (Thursday) out on the kayak at Ireland's Eye. Loads of mackerel around. Not huge shoals but I was consistently hauling in full strings. Sizes ranged from small Joeys to some good decent size fish. Not sure if they're close enough to shore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭padraigcarroll

Thanks for that, appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Poolbeg lighthouse this morning 1h before the high tide, mackerel bonanza, guys beside me leaving with a big bucket full of fish each.

Caught approx 25 medium sized ones and 1 king size, a few pollocks and a codling too, before giving up. Big BBQ time with friends tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dgamblerbob

Fishing in dunlicky(near kilkee) Saturday, caught 21mackerel in about 45 mins with high tide coming in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Any word on North Kerry?

With high tides in Dublin after 10pm today is it pointless heading out fishing around low tide or the hours after in Dún Laoghaire or South Bull Wall near Poolbeg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I know it's well past summer, but are there any mackerel still around in December?

Has anyone had any success from shore this late in the year?

Advertisement