Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Brexit Britain a third world country?

Options
  • 23-06-2019 4:34pm
    Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Whatever about the crackpot, tinpot policians, the country itself has really been going backwards for a number of years now.

Their border control is outdated, not recognising passport cards with biometric chips. Amazing really when you consider the importance they place upon border control in discussions on Brexit. It is an absolute pain in the hole to fly through/into the UK from EUrope unless you're coming from Ireland under the CTA.

Businesses and restaurants are closing down left, right and centre. City centres, town centres, and even parts of Central London are deserted. A few years back you'd struggle to get into some restaurants on a weekend evening without a reservation, and even with one, you'd be put under pressure to finish with the table. These days many of those same restaurants are half empty or closed.

I recently stayed in a new luxury hotel which was like something you might expect in an isolated third-world country. The check-in experience resembled a bad day in Fawlty Towers, two of the three lifts didn't work, the lighting in the room was so poor you'd wonder did they run out of money for light fixtures, there was a constant hum from the plumbing in the bathroom, and there were food shortages at breakfast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Definitely regressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Depends on how they Brexit I would imagine.

A no deal Brexit should have an awful impact on the British economy, it would be hard to see how Scotland would want to stay in the UK...so that will be like a side show in amongst the carnage...the North is already one of the most politically dysfunctional nations in the developed world...

I can't for the life of me see a Brexit that will help Britain...indeed, the EU, for all its flaws, has been a handy scapegoat for far too long in Britain especially...and with a complete charlatan like Johnson about to take the reins, I wouldn't like to be British.

We of course, are also in unchartered waters...with a completely inflexible political system rooted in parochialism...it is hard to see how we would deal with the calamity in any meaningful way...our tourism industry will get the first shock but it impact plenty of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Balanadan wrote: »
    Is Brexit Britain a third world country?

Is?

Will it become?

I doubt it, but I do thing the integrity (the Union of...) of the United Kingdom (of GB& NI) will be under even more threat, possibly even fracturing, to leave England & Wales without Scotland & Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Whatever about the crackpot, tinpot policians, the country itself has really been going backwards for a number of years now.

Their border control is outdated, not recognising passport cards with biometric chips. Amazing really when you consider the importance they place upon border control in discussions on Brexit. It is an absolute pain in the hole to fly through/into the UK from EUrope unless you're coming from Ireland under the CTA.

When I flew to Brussels (this was a good few months after they were first issued) , their automatic gates didn't take the Irish passport card, so not just a UK problem.

Heathrow automatic gates took my passport proper no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

If they are 3rd world then we must be down in 4th tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

The ultimate neo-con/globalist strategy is to make every country third world, to lower standards, lower wages, lower rights, all across the board, so that only an upper echelon, the cream of the crop, have the nice mansions, the best service, healthcare, all because they can afford it.

There's a scene early on in the film Children of Men which you would do well to watch.

Ignore the plot of the movie for a second and just see what kind of the world that they want you to live in. There are far too many resources in this world for it to happen, yet if a core few keep control and keep hoarding things, this is what they will have us do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yurt! wrote: »
    When I flew to Brussels (this was a good few months after they were first issued) , their automatic gates didn't take the Irish passport card, so not just a UK problem.

Heathrow automatic gates took my passport proper no problem.
    I think thats all over.
    The credit card sized passport cards arent usable in the automated passport machines even in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Businesses and restaurants are closing down left, right and centre. City centres, town centres, and even parts of Central London are deserted. A few years back you'd struggle to get into some restaurants on a weekend evening without a reservation, and even with one, you'd be put under pressure to finish with the table. These days many of those same restaurants are half empty or closed.

I recently stayed in a new luxury hotel which was like something you might expect in an isolated third-world country. The check-in experience resembled a bad day in Fawlty Towers, two of the three lifts didn't work, the lighting in the room was so poor you'd wonder did they run out of money for light fixtures, there was a constant hum from the plumbing in the bathroom, and there were food shortages at breakfast.

What Hotel was it OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Are we not still waiting for them to leave the EU? if things are so bad then why do so many think brexit was a bad choice.

• Advertisement

Are we not still waiting for them to leave the EU? if things are so bad then why do so many think brexit was a bad choice.

In the polls the figures have not changed much since the referendum. It's still 55 45 ish or just about half and half.

It was always torn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I think thats all over.
    The credit card sized passport cards arent usable in the automated passport machines even in Dublin.

They are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course not. That's absurd. The UK is a wonderful country to live in. It's got some severe problems with inequality in my opinion which need addressing sooner rather than later or there will be a significant group of middle-aged voters living in sh*tty houseshares.

Brexit represents a serous hit to the UK's economy, no question. The UK has a services-based economy. Those services are provided by people who are more mobile than ever. Telling millions of EU migrants here that they are not welcome as well as comparing the EU to the Soviet Union is a poor signal to send to potential investors. Post Brexit Britain will be poorer but it won't be the Third World. Those who suffer most, as is the norm with revolutions are the working classes who voted for radical change and will get a free trade, small government, low tax and low regulation dystopia that none of them ever wanted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I can't help but wonder which part of central London was deserted OP. Never really noticed any deserted areas of London.

They'll rock on nicely.
    FTSE100 will tell a positive story over the coming decades.

It depends on where companies go.

Larger British companies will want access to the EU market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭AllForIt

cashback wrote: »
    I can't help but wonder which part of central London was deserted OP. Never really noticed any deserted areas of London.

I was wondering that too. I'd like to move there away from the hustle and bustle of of the rest of the city but yet have London city on my doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Well they'll always have the empire to fall back on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Which hotel was that OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

He was wandering around Hyde Park at 5am clutching a bottle of Tesco vodka.

• Advertisement

Let's not lie. It's a worse off country.

We just can't measure by how much yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I expect a lot of money is being held back as businesses fear a meltdown post Brexit, thus creating the environment for a meltdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I recently stayed in a new luxury hotel

What Hotel was this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Augeo wrote: »
    They'll rock on nicely.
    FTSE100 will tell a positive story over the coming decades.
    Of course it will.

Mostly because Sterling will fall. It's multinational companies with only a third of their income in sterling. They simply aren't that exposed to Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Of course not. That's absurd. The UK is a wonderful country to live in. It's got some severe problems with inequality in my opinion which need addressing sooner rather than later or there will be a significant group of middle-aged voters living in sh*tty houseshares.

Those issues needed sorting decades ago. And it’s just gotten worse and worse. We bang on about limerick in this country, but there’s no comparison to the level of poverty which exists in parts of Britain. The place reminds me more and more of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Now that's an over exaggeration if there ever was one.

I'm sure the Brits will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Maybe in 28 Days Later?

Those issues needed sorting decades ago. And it’s just gotten worse and worse. We bang on about limerick in this country, but there’s no comparison to the level of poverty which exists in parts of Britain. The place reminds me more and more of the US.

Their social welfare is better than that of the US but not as generous as ours.

Of course it will.

Mostly because Sterling will fall. It's multinational companies with only a third of their income in sterling. They simply aren't that exposed to Brexit.

I don't think sterling will fall much in the long-term TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I had my pick of restaurants around Leicester Square / Piccadilly on a Friday/Saturday night. I had a good chat with one of the waiters while picking up the bill, he remarked the same as me. Very quiet and lots of closed businesses around Bank and St. Paul's too, deserted.

mfceiling wrote: »
    What Hotel was it OP?

It was a Hilton, chosen for proximity to business meetings more than anything else, supposedly the best of the bunch in the area. I'll ask my PA for the details, I asked her to blacklist it.

Advertisement