Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i name and shame cowboy builder

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Dav010 wrote: »
    Rads too small and roof not insulated?

Did you agree on spec for rads before build and is there regulations on rad size, or is it just guidelines?

In relation to roof insulation, is this a conservatory where plaster board was placed over it and the ceiling plastered?

Rads were way undersized, 1 was 58% too small.

Flat roof left open at wall plate

28064212 wrote: »
    So long as you are willing to defend your statements in a court case, which is quite a different proposition. You can probably 'back up' a statement like "XXX is incompetent". Can you prove that statement in a court of law?

In a defamation case, the burden of proof is on the person making the statement. The plantiff only has to prove that the statement was made, and that it injured their reputation.

I am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Rads were way undersized, 1 was 58% too small.

Flat roof left open at wall plate

58% smaller than what - legal regulations? Written specs that you supplied him with?

So, what happened?

just made the mistake of allowing a builder to be architect, engineer, builder and project manager. nightmare build left us sleeping in our clothes vat issues and on going problems

El Tarangu wrote: »
    58% smaller than what - legal regulations? Written specs that you supplied him with?

58% smaller than the required BTUs for the room.

Plumbers are not regulated here.

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    Be crafty with your language
    Eg would a competent builder do x?

In what way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

58% smaller than the required BTUs for the room.

Plumbers are not regulated here.

Have you not spoken with the installer about the radiators?
    Is the boiler correct sized?
    Were the space heat requirements calculated Before the radiators were fitted?

If you are going down the legal route regarding the radiators you will need to prove the heating requirement for each space and prove the heat output of each undersized radiator (radiator manufacturer's specifications will be sufficient).
    Most likely if it's going to go to court you will need an independent heating engineer who will be able to verify the disparity between rads and requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are BTU guides actual regulations and was a spec agreed before build? If there are no regulations on required rad sizes, will you have trouble proving your claim that the builder is a cowboy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

In what way

Ask pointed questions rather than statements

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Have you not spoken with the installer about the radiators?
    Is the boiler correct sized?
    Were the space heat requirements calculated Before the radiators were fitted?

If you are going down the legal route regarding the radiators you will need to prove the heating requirement for each space and prove the heat output of each undersized radiator (radiator manufacturer's specifications will be sufficient).
    Most likely if it's going to go to court you will need an independent heating engineer who will be able to verify the disparity between rads and requirements.

Plumber said rads were ample until 3 suppliers said otherwise.

Rads now changed but i want to review builder

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Are BTU guides actual regulations and was a spec agreed before build? If there are no regulations on required rad sizes, will you have trouble proving your claim that the builder is a cowboy?

Incompetent then

How does this sound......

MY NIGHTMARE BUILD

I hope my story helps anyone planning to build to avoid the potential pitfalls when building.

Due to a diagnosis of a terminal illness and with the aid of a grant I employed 'X' to build ground floor accommodation for my needs. Unfortunately the service I was promised was very different to the service I received as I made the mistake of allowing my builder to be architect, engineer, builder and project manager.

Like all jobs problems had to be overcome such as my wife running the electrician's cables for him as I did not want to see metal conduit piping outside on the stone walls of the house. But the most difficult time for me was finding it impossible to heat the rooms. Oil heating, plug in rads and superser heaters together made no difference so while being assured everything was fine I was sleeping in my clothes.

A thermal imaging test showed the roof had been left open, un-insulated between the walls and the roof. I also found out the plumber, 'Y' had fitted radiators way below the recommended sizes for the rooms, 1 in fact was over 50% below.

I was let down badly by the council as this work was meant to be checked, the paperwork was signed to say it was checked but nobody ever inspected it so I urge you please employ your own architect or engineer to over see things, I didn't and paid for it dearly. All issues have now been resolved, the latest being my wetroom floor having to be ripped up 3 years later to direct a radon gas pipe outside that had been floored over.

My experience has been a very poor one of incompetence and I have never received an apology over the way I was treated. I have finally made a settlement with my builder and can move on with what life I have left but asked if I would ever employ or recommend 'X' or 'Y' again I would say absolutely not, not if I desperately needed the space(no pun intended)

Advertisement