Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China - the future

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

As someone who buys a lot of music and physical media, have always regarded China with contempt.
    No respect for copyright. High level of fake products.
    The ultimate bullsh*t country.

Japan = total opposite.

You buy cd's, so you regard China with contempt!
    WTF does that even mean in this context?
    contempt

noun
    the feeling that a person or a thing is worthless or beneath consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

The ethnic cleansing is in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    China has been the source of countless innovations over hundreds of years.

Many of those inventions became the foundation of Western imperialism such as gunpowder. Mongols learned it from the Chinese and was introduced to Europe by them. Hundreds of years later the Europeans use gunpowder to exploit the Chinese and push drugs on them.

Much of what we would traditionally accept as Western inventions - the printing press and the revolution in the dissemination of knowledge that followed - was first done in China.

Maybe they should have copyrighted this stuff, kept the patents for themselves. In any case, if you aren't buying pirated material, there's nothing to worry about. It's hardly like the West isn't cheating in similar circumstances.

Koreans have a credible claim on the moveable metal printing press ahead of the Chinese. One of the conceits you have to deal with as a 'foreigner' when dealing with nationalist Chinese folks is the 'China has X thousand years of history' stuff peddled by the government. As if there is genuine continuity between the Qin dynasty and the modern Chinese state. They spent most of the 20th century tearing down the unique aspects of their own culture, and what exists now is typical consumer capitalism with the residue of Marxist authoritarianism. It's useful for them to try to breathe life into 'Chineseness' for political purposes nowadays, but one must wonder what's left.

You'll get more authentic expressions of what it is to be Chinese in Taiwan or Singapore to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The ethnic cleansing is in full swing.

The leftwing have this dream for all of us, but when they do it is then it is good. George Orwell is lucky he died before his dystopian vision became reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

theguzman wrote: »
    The leftwing have this dream for all of us, but when they do it is then it is good. George Orwell is lucky he died before his dystopian vision became reality.

Opinions like this make me want to bash my head into a wall. Imagine being this thick?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As someone who buys a lot of music and physical media, have always regarded China with contempt.
    No respect for copyright. High level of fake products.
    The ultimate bullsh*t country.

Japan = total opposite.
    LOL

Just after WWII Japan was seen as exactly that. Took years for them to be recognised as doing anything other than copying.

China does make a lot of high end kit. They make a lot of rubbish. They make everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Opinions like this make me want to bash my head into a wall. Imagine being this thick?

By all means bash your head, be careful if its a partition wall or you might crack the plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Will definitely agree it winds me up how misinformed they are about their own history. For example i'v had people tell me that the Terracota Army is 5 thousand years old. No it's bloody not, it's still amazing and incredible but get your facts right!. They do have a sense of superiority about their culture which i dislike, for example I've had people make very rude comments about other countries food or art etc. They are hypocritical as well in my experience. They will complain about racism against them eg D&G advert yet will say very racist things about black people.

They'll moan about how it's unfair the USA target their companies yet can't see the irony that they block a ton of foreign companies from doing business here or the fact they impose tariffs on a ton of imports. In a sense everyone should be nice to them and not dare question their culture or system but they can do whatever they like to us.

Don't get me wrong i have plenty of Chinese friends and overall enjoy living here but as a system and where things are headed with their government i'd be worried.

Advertisement