Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach tenancy not registered

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

amcalester wrote: »
    OP what do the bank want the lease for? Proof of address or proof of rent?

Would a rent book suffice?

If there is a lease or money is paid via electronic transfer, this isnt required either

• Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Personally I'd be more inclined to go down the route of the Financial Services Ombudsman. They're making life very difficult for no good reason.

Looking for proof of outgoings as part of renegotiating the terms of a credit agreement is not being difficult, and is not done for no good reason.

Lots of people answering on this thread seem to think that the OP is looking for a bank-loan / mortgage. They have clearly told us this isn't the case.

As someone else said OP, you need to make sure that the landlord understands the consequences of you not getting this particular letter, and that they have the power to avoid those consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Looking for proof of outgoings as part of renegotiating the terms of a credit agreement is not being difficult, and is not done for no good reason.

Lots of people answering on this thread seem to think that the OP is looking for a bank-loan / mortgage. They have clearly told us this isn't the case.

As someone else said OP, you need to make sure that the landlord understands the consequences of you not getting this particular letter, and that they have the power to avoid those consequences.

Since the RTB is toothless against tenants it does not make any difference to the landlord if the OP gets the reduction or not. Even the letter from the RTB the bank is looking for is as worthless as the lease agreement they won't accept as there are no consequences to a tenant who breaks a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Bank statement
    Rent book
    Lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭The Student

Herein is a case in point regarding the lack of trust in the rental sector.

Firstly whether the landlord has registered the tenancy with the RTB is irrelevant as a tenant is automatically covered. The tenant has proof of payment of rent. If the landlord was trying to avoid tax liability then they would not want the rent paid via a bank account.

Secondly, there is no onus on the landlord to provide any supporting paperwork. I am not sure of why the bank does not accept the utility bills, lease and bank statement as proof of address and outgoings etc.

I would suggest for your own sake don't start accusing the landlord of anything, it is not your responsibility to get the landlord registered with the RTB. It makes no difference to you if he is or is not. The landlord could have just forgot.

Approach the landlord and ask if he could assist you in your requirements, if he can't then just leave it at that and find an alternative way to fulfill the banks requirements.

Remember renting the property is only a business trans between you and the landlord. Neither of you owe each other anything other than what's in the lease. Obviously it is in both of your interests to have a good relationship but I strongly advise you don't alienate the landlord because he would not give you what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

What if the short term crisis means that there is a difficulty in paying the rent.....

How might THAT be overcome.

It's all very well to go down the "I'm not obligated to give the info" road.

All that's been asked here is.....

"Mr OP currently resides at my property at 162 a boards thread

Boards co the Internet.

He pays a sum of 1100 euros a month to rent the property"

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Herein is a case in point regarding the lack of trust in the rental sector.

Firstly whether the landlord has registered the tenancy with the RTB is irrelevant as a tenant is automatically covered. The tenant has proof of payment of rent. If the landlord was trying to avoid tax liability then they would not want the rent paid via a bank account.

Secondly, there is no onus on the landlord to provide any supporting paperwork. I am not sure of why the bank does not accept the utility bills, lease and bank statement as proof of address and outgoings etc.

I would suggest for your own sake don't start accusing the landlord of anything, it is not your responsibility to get the landlord registered with the RTB. It makes no difference to you if he is or is not. The landlord could have just forgot.

Approach the landlord and ask if he could assist you in your requirements, if he can't then just leave it at that and find an alternative way to fulfill the banks requirements.

Remember renting the property is only a business trans between you and the landlord. Neither of you owe each other anything other than what's in the lease. Obviously it is in both of your interests to have a good relationship but I strongly advise you don't alienate the landlord because he would not give you what you want.

+1 I detected an attitude from the op.

I noted in your op you say you have issues before and went to rtb as you are entitled.

did you deliberately waited 6 months (so now you have part4 rights) before asking.
    LL has no responsibility to provide you with those detail unless you where applying for HAP or some social assistance now fcuk off you cheeky bugger.:p

Old diesel wrote: »
    What if the short term crisis means that there is a difficulty in paying the rent.....

Boards co the Internet.

Providing the letter doesn't guarantee the rent either. The landlord has provided a valid lease, a cut and paste from Google is still a legally binding contract on the landlord but not the tenant, and the penalty for not registering the tenancy is trivial.

If the bank won't expect a lease why would they expect a letter from a random person?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bank statement
    Rent book
    Lease.

Bank statement doesn’t prove it is payment for rent.

Rent books tend only to be used where tenant pays rent into hand of Landlord, which the op has said is not the case here.

The bank has said the lease, which is a cut and paste job, is not sufficientl.

But anyways, how is the banks request for proof of address and rental payment onerous which considering the ops request to alter terms of loan? For practical purposes, I would think providing proof of where you can be contacted and what is likely to be your largest monthly outgoing would be essential info for a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Dav010 wrote: »
    Bank statement doesn’t prove it is payment for rent.

Rent books tend only to be used where tenant pays rent into hand of Landlord, which the op has said is not the case here.

The bank has said the lease, which is a cut and paste job, is not sufficientl.

But anyways, how is the banks request for proof of address and rental payment onerous which considering the ops request to alter terms of loan?

OP is legally entitled to a rent book.

All leases are a cut and paste job.

Point already addressed.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »

Boards co the Internet.

Providing the letter doesn't guarantee the rent either. The landlord has provided a valid lease, a cut and paste from Google is still a legally binding contract on the landlord but not the tenant, and the penalty for not registering the tenancy is trivial.

If the bank won't expect a lease why would they expect a letter from a random person?

They will accept the letter or whatever because that's what they have asked for in the situation.

The letter in itself doesn't guarantee payment of rent.

But an agreed reduction in loan payment would give a better chance that OP will make the rent and that surely is in the landlords interest.

If someone has a shortfall of 350 a month due to a temporary financial crisis how do the landlords propose to address when they won't produce the letter that might get the 350 reduction in the loan reduction.

The landlord won't accept 350 less for the rent.

And a Landlord like the one in the OP will probably not take HAP either because doing so means filling out paperwork confirming that OP rents the property for x amount of rent.

So the option for OP is to go homeless because......

1) Landlord won't confirm OP rents the property.

2) Landlord won't accept a reduction in the rent.

3) and it's bad form to overhold after the date you are told leave.

So whats the solution for the OP?????

I would suggest OP talking to your nearest MABS advisor and seeing what advice they can give you on managing the current financial situation.

The community welfare officer might also be worth a visit - they might be able to give you some sort of payment.

The fact that you have to do those things because someone won't confirm you actually do rent the place at X amount a month is frustrating.

I'd also check if your normal financial situation in terms of income is under the social housing/HAP criteria limits.

A chat with local authority or local councillor might be useful here.

Your current landlord probably won't take HAP - but if your income is under the limits for it - it might be worth seeing if you can find a new landlord that might take it.

A lot of landlords don't like HAP but in financial hardship youve got to explore all avenues to keep a roof over your head.

I wish you the very best of luck

If someone has a shortfall of 350 a month due to a temporary financial crisis how do the landlords propose to address when they won't produce the letter that might get the 350 reduction in the loan reduction.

The landlord won't accept 350 less for the rent.

And a Landlord like the one in the OP will probably not take HAP either because doing so means filling out paperwork confirming that OP rents the property for x amount of rent.

So the option for OP is to go homeless because......

1) Landlord won't confirm OP rents the property.

2) Landlord won't accept a reduction in the rent.

3) and it's bad form to overhold after the date you are told leave.

So whats the solution for the OP?????

How have we ended up here. The original post was that the tenant was looking to take out a loan. Was there a post that the tenant indicated that they needed the rent reduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

How have we ended up here. The original post was that the tenant was looking to take out a loan. Was there a post that the tenant indicated that they needed the rent reduced?

OP is looking to re-structure a loan with the bank as. It was confirmed in his second post.

Everything Old Diesel is posting is just conjecture and anti-landlord nonsense.

OP is looking to re-structure a loan with the bank as. It was confirmed in his second post.

Sorry must have missed the post regarding restructuring.

In relation to my post the Student quoted the point I would like to make is this.....

IF a tenant whether it's the OP or any other tenant - hits a financial problem - how do you address any issues with paying the rent with the landlord as early as possible and in as honest and helpful way as possible.

I was hoping people might have picked up on the possibility that paying rent might be a struggle without the loan restructure and thus.....

1) suggested how you might explain to the landlord how you have a temporary financial situation due to the OH being ill and that this loan restructure means the rent is easier to pay.*

2) or in general how you might address a sudden difficulty you might have in paying the rent with the landlord as early as possible with honesty, integrity and trying to avoid being a bad person to the landlord.

In relation to my post the Student quoted the point I would like to make is this.....

IF a tenant whether it's the OP or any other tenant - hits a financial problem - how do you address any issues with paying the rent with the landlord as early as possible and in as honest and helpful way as possible.

I was hoping people might have picked up on the possibility that paying rent might be a struggle without the loan restructure and thus.....

1) suggested how you might explain to the landlord how you have a temporary financial situation due to the OH being ill and that this loan restructure means the rent is easier to pay.*

2) or in general how you might address a sudden difficulty you might have in paying the rent with the landlord as early as possible with honesty, integrity and trying to avoid being a bad person to the landlord.

The OPs financial position is not the landlords problem. If they can't pay rent then the landlord is entitled to issue eviction notices, everyone keeps saying that they want professional landlords and that's how professional landlords operate.

People should have a rainy day fund or income protection insurance for emergencies.

The OPs financial position is not the landlords problem. If they can't pay rent then the landlord is entitled to issue eviction notices, everyone keeps saying that they want professional landlords and that's how professional landlords operate.

People should have a rainy day fund or income protection insurance for emergencies.

Realistically the direction of travel in this scenario is......

1) try and borrow a few quit from friends and family....

2) get financial advice from somewhere like MABS.

3) talk to community welfare officer - a soul destroying experience and you might come away with nothing but has to be worth a shot :(.

4) check social housing support eligibility.

5) try and find a cheaper place - might have to move to a new town.

6) stay with friends and family if anyone of them is willing to let you stay.

7) (last resort) present homeless.

The problem i would have with all of the above is having to do it because the landlord wouldnt simply confirm I live in the place and pay him x amount of rent for the place.

Realistically the direction of travel in this scenario is......

1) try and borrow a few quit from friends and family....

2) get financial advice from somewhere like MABS.

3) talk to community welfare officer - a soul destroying experience and you might come away with nothing but has to be worth a shot :(.

4) check social housing support eligibility.

5) try and find a cheaper place - might have to move to a new town.

6) stay with friends and family if anyone of them is willing to let you stay.

7) (last resort) present homeless.

The problem i would have with all of the above is having to do it because the landlord wouldnt simply confirm I live in the place and pay him x amount of rent for the place.

If the landlord does not want to do it for whatever reason then thats his perogatve. You may not like it but you cant force the landlord to provide the docs.

• Advertisement

The Op doesn’t have difficulties paying rent though, it’s the loan that they’re having issues with.

A loan can be restructured, rent is a fixed necessary cost and should be prioritized over a loan payment.

The Op doesn’t have difficulties paying rent though, it’s the loan that they’re having issues with.

A loan can be restructured, rent is a fixed necessary cost and should be prioritized over a loan payment.

He needed the landlords confirmation that he rents the place in order for the loan to be restructured.

The inability to restructure the loan creates the potential difficulty of trying to pay BOTH rent and the loan.

He needed the landlords confirmation that he rents the place in order for the loan to be restructured.

The inability to restructure the loan creates the potential difficulty of trying to pay BOTH rent and the loan.

It doesn’t though. The rent is the same regardless so either he can afford the rent and the full loan, reduced loan or no loan at all. Either way the rent is the same.

Anyway, some practical advise to the Op, make out a statement of means with incomings and outgoings and write a letter explaining your situation and what you can afford and how long you want the loan restricted. Just make sure it’s reasonable and realistic.

The bank will respond accordingly, you’ve probably just met a “computer says no” situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

This thread is both miserable and depressing in equal measure.

I would have to agree with this. People have cried out for professional landlords, I would expect if this request was made to one of the institutional landlords there would be a charge involved.

Banks/Insurance companies etc charge admin fees all the time.

Perhaps if the tenant offered to pay the landlord for the documentation then the landlord may oblige.

I would have to agree with this. People have cried out for professional landlords, I would expect if this request was made to one of the institutional landlords there would be a charge involved.

Banks/Insurance companies etc charge admin fees all the time.

Perhaps if the tenant offered to pay the landlord for the documentation then the landlord may oblige.

The "I'm not going to confirm that you live here and that you pay x amount - because well we just don't do that kind of thing"

Is an example of why rightly or wrongly people wanted professional landlords.

This landlord has just said no flat out - no mention of yes I can do that but I will need a 50 quid admin fee for it.

The "I'm not going to confirm that you live here and that you pay x amount - because well we just don't do that kind of thing"

Is an example of why rightly or wrongly people wanted professional landlords.

This landlord has just said no flat out - no mention of yes I can do that but I will need a 50 quid admin fee for it.

That's his prerogative if he does not want to do it then he should not be forced to. People may not like that but I would have an issue with anybody being forced to do something as simple as this if they don't want to for whatever reason.

Advertisement