Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

I'm so glad Boy B didn't slip the noose, A was basically a done deal but I was worried a couple of soft hearts on the jury might waver in spite of the horror they inflicted on that poor girl.

Severely bullied in school.

That annoys me no end too.

Other kids involved in making her life a misery.

As someone who was badly bullied in school and as has a lot of difficulty with social interaction as a result this struck a real chord with me.

If just one or two people had reached out a hand to Anna in friendship this probably never wouldn't happened. I hope there's a lot of heavy consciences in her locality over this, just because A & B have been found guilty doesn't absolve them of the hurt they did to the poor girl while she was still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

mloc123 wrote: »
    The parents and barristers of the two boys should be ashamed of themselves. If they had any remorse they would have pleaded guilty to start.

This is the problem with mandatory sentencing. There is no reason for them to plead guilty since it's life either way.

The argument is that they may as well take their chances with a jury as you never know what could happen. But if the boys had been able to plead guilty and get 8 years for example, there would've been no trial.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I was originally reading the case when it started, and I stopped as it was quite upsetting, especially having a 15 year old daughter.

Made the mistake of reading the report today, that went into details. Poor poor girl.

In relation to the people saying their parents are scum, is not fair. I'd honestly be thorn about offering up my child for a guilty verdict. As much of a horrible crime it is, a parent will (nearly) always do whatever they can to protect their children. Regardless of crime, a parent will want to try and protect their kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The parents knew well they were guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

What planet were they on actually pleading not guilty? Talk about being ill-advised. Absolutely delighted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Strazdas wrote: »
    Apparently, poor Ana stood out like a sore thumb. She was born in Russia, was fostered and her peers all knew this. She seems to have had virtually no friends in the area.

Think she was supposed to be very tall too. Kids will single someone out for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Why do people want then named? What good will it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Don't know if they'll be identified but there's a picture going round on WhatsApp of one of the little scrotes, I'm sure locals know who they are. Horrible scumbags, RIP Anna.

The dogs on the street around those parts who exactly who it was. They did the day after she disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What planet were they on actually pleading not guilty? Talk about being ill-advised. Absolutely delighted

if they pled guilty the sentence would have been the same. they took their chances with the jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why would they please guilty and get an automatic life sentence?

As I said above, there is no incentive to plead guilty to crimes where life is mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

if they were tried as adults the only sentence the judge can give is life.
    They can’t get a lesser sentence. Life is mandatory for murder.

Do we know for sure if they were tried as adults? I'm not 100% sure. If they were tried as children, then the Children's Act allows for lesser sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Disgusted in the boys parents for this. They 1000% knew, yet caused the poor Kriegel family go through a horrible trial on the tiny chance their vermin could get off due to their lies.
    I still remember the newspapers last month with the quotes that Ana was 'a freak'. This is a young girl, who died in the most horrific manner possible, who know is having her name and personality dragged through the mud. For shame on the boys parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Why do people want then named? What good will it do?

What good does naming any killer do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭A Summer In Provence

mloc123 wrote: »
    The parents and barristers of the two boys should be ashamed of themselves. If they had any remorse they would have pleaded guilty to start.
    McCrack wrote: »
    The defence have nothing to be ashamed for. The good, bad and ugly are entitled to legal representation. It's part of living in a democracy - trial in due course of law.

I remember reading about the famous criminal barrister George Carmen QC, he was asked how he as a religious man could represent clients who were suspected of evil crimes. His answer was : “You have to approach the job professionally, like a good surgeon, a surgeon has to operate with the same level of care on all patients whether they're a nun or a prostitute is irrelevant”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

They can’t get a lesser sentence. Life is mandatory for murder.

All sentences for children are reviewed at 18 by the Parole board.

It’s a different ‘life’ if you’re under 18

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

if they were tried as adults the only sentence the judge can give is life.

So why is he waiting until July 15 to impose it?

I they plead guilty, they 100% would have gone to jail.

By pleading not guilty, they had a chance of being cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Do we know for sure if they were tried as adults? I'm not 100% sure. If they were tried as children, then the Children's Act allows for lesser sentences.

Well i'm not certain as i have only read that here. the current RTE story doesn't mention it and i have not been following the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

They were tried as adults.

They'll get life, as is mandatory.

It stated on the radio that the judge has some discretion in relation to that. I really do think that given the guilty verdict they should be named. Retribution for a crime committed is as much about loss of reputation as it is about a sentence, and I very much doubt they will receive it given their age.

Well i'm not certain as i have only read that here. the current RTE story doesn't mention it and i have not been following the trial.

I did a quick Google and can't see anything that says that they were tried as adults.

Maybe someone else will turn up something either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

bigpink wrote: »
    The parents knew well they were guilty

None of us know how we'd react if a child we had brought up and loved unconditionally committed such a vicious and brutal crime.

I'm sure denial, desperation to protect your child, deep down hope that maybe they are innocent or there were extenuating circumstances would be jumbled up with horror, fear and disbelief. These parents are facing a life sentence of their own now. Condemning them online like this is unfair in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

For two 13 year olds to be capable of this level of evil and depravity is truly shocking. It was the only case in a long time where I used to turn off radio reports it was so hard to listen to.

The boys are scum and their families no better for helping and encouraging them to get off with their crime,

True parenting would be you're my son I still love you regardless, but you did this crime so accept the punishment. Maybe in a long long time from now some form of redemption might be possible but not now.
    Instead these parents had full knowledge their sons committed this crime but still wanted them to get off. They're selfish scumbags too.

My heart goes out to all involved, Gardaí, medical personnel, legal teams and jury. The details of that case will never be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My thoughts are with Ana's parents and those who loved her.
    Delighted that some modicum of justice has been achieved for her, but honestly disgusted that it ever got to the stage where a teenage girl was so cruelly treated by her peers in life and killed by her hope that things were going to improve.

The loss of naivety is IMO the loss of childhood, if poor Ana had been a little less naive, a little less hopeful she would still be alive.
    That Anna would still be alive, if she was a less trusting person, a bit more grown up!
    Horrifies me! Surely we want our kids to grow safe and happy in the bubble we can give them...
    That, is an awful indictment on those who conspired to end her life.

Children should have the space to develop and grow, Anna's parents seem to have gone above and beyond in giving her that childhood.
    Unfortunately for Anna, many of her peers were/are bullies and akin to fúcking monsters!
    And she never get to be that grown up she dreamed of being :(

RIP Ana...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Gael23 wrote: »
    What good does naming any killer do?

That's a fair point. I just don't understand the sudden urge to have their identities revealed. They can rot in their cells as far as I'm concerned. Boy A and Boy B suits me fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Berserker wrote: »
    They'll be back out on the streets by their early 20s.

Unfortunately this is a definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That's a fair point. I just don't understand the sudden urge to have their identities revealed. They can rot in their cells as far as I'm concerned. Boy A and Boy B suits me fine.

They wont rot in cells they'll get freedom, then just move a few parishes over and live happily ever after. Parents of course following their angels. All forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Gael23 wrote: »
    What sentences will they get as minors?
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    I did a quick Google and can't see anything that says that they were tried as adults.

Maybe someone else will turn up something either way.

It's been reported throughout that they were being tried as adults. I have no idea why there's suddenly confusion about this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/ana-kri%C3%A9gel-was-endlessly-bullied-murder-trial-told-1.3876068

'Although certain protections are in place, both accused are being tried as adults meaning “all the rights and rules of the criminal justice system apply." '

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Iam just shocked that this happened here in Ireland. This is something like you read in America or in Africa where human life seems so cheap. The fact that the perpetrators are Irish kids is very hard to comprend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I didn’t read too much about the trial because it just felt so intrusive. I’m glad they’ve been found guilty. I remember at Christmas one of them asking the court to be allowed out to celebrate Christmas, for permission to spend time at their grandparents house and to go for walks.
    I hope this Christmas is spent reflecting on what they done to that poor girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

God help you if your child ever commits a heinous crime. While how one is raised is definitely a factor in how they end up, to blame the parents for their sons committing an act of murder is totally unfair. Plenty of murderers and criminals were raised in good homes with loving parents.

It’s not that their child committed a heinous crime, it’s that they stood by and let Ana’s family go through a horrific trial instead of having their children take responsibility. Maybe at the start they believed their children, although I’m sure the gardas were able to provide enough evidence to them. So you can only conclude they hoped their children would get off

Talk about heaping more injury upon this family. Disgusting behaviour from the parents. Even in the Jamie Bolger case the parents cooperated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement