Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unusual guns owned/seen

• 17-06-2019 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Whats the most exotic or unusual pistol or rifle you've seen or fired?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

That sounds like a new thread starter to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BigCIllAodain

tac foley wrote: »
    That sounds like a new thread starter to me ;)

Would you like the honors? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm more into the functionality of a firearm rather than how exotic it is but I've shot expensive .22s such as Pardini's, Walther SSP-E, and some other Olympic style pistols. The Olympic style pistols are very accurate with exceptionally little recoil. But I like Gallery pistol comps so they are pretty much of no use to me.

I've also shot .22 conversions such as a Sig and other guns such as GSG 1911 pistols (can't remember models). They are fun to shoot but aren't as accurate as a S&W Model 41 or an Feinwerkbau AW93. I'd pick the more accurate pistols all day long.

I've fired a .40cal pistol in a competition in Northern Ireland. That was fun. Can't do that down here though.

I've fired all sorts of rifles in the States, most of which aren't allowed here. Never fired a fully automatic, just lots of semi automatics. I also fired a Desert Eagle 50cal over there. To be honest, that wasn't fun. Way too powerful for me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Ammo wise nothing unusual, a good few .22LR in dedicated semi autos, .22 Clones (1911) and a few centre fires with rim fire convertion kit add ons. Centre fires were all 9mm- Browning Automatic Pistol (nasty little jumpy sh1t), Beretta M9 (too big for my small hands) and the HK USP ( nice piece of kit)......
    .....but the most exotic handgun I've fired is an WWII issued Pistole Parabellum 9mm Lugar. That was the dogs' to fire, it was snappy in the hand but the fit and feel was beautiful.

What firearms do you have yourself?/QUOTE]

I have nineteen and they ALL make me happy. : ) Most of them, however, would bore most here totally f*rtless.

• Advertisement

I'd say you could turn a few heads!

Not here, Sir!! They are all made of old-fashioned steel and wood, with not a single composite stock among them. Some of them are old, and I mean old as in OLD, and here that tends to mean more than five years......and therefore of little value except as tomato posts. ;)

My last modern (circa 2001) firearm, a Baikel MP 153, a plastic monster, resides besides its slightly younger sibling, the short lived Mauser 96 American ( an unusual design) alot more wood and steel then plastic, but still some to be found (like an aging socialite). They keep a rather nice if not tired French o/u company that dates to around 1980 give or take. Another unusual design feature with its trigger set up - double trigger but the first trigger can be used as a single trigger, discharging each barrel with separate pulls.
    My .22 Brno is getting on in age pushing 50 years and still as accurate as the day I got it 33 years ago with its original magazine, there's no plastic to be seen. While lastly my BSA Majestic Feather Weight (previously discussed with you ) is nearly due its old age pension and bus pass coming up to its 60th year and still bowling over deer and boar.

Now I know you can put them all in the ha'penny place, so for us who have some nostalgia please feel free to tell us more.

By the way do you have a few modern day (100 years new) full/ big bore stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Fired a ww1 Vickers Machine Gun used in the Irish war of Independence

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BigCIllAodain

GolfVI wrote: »

Cool! Where did you get to shoot it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Cool! Where did you get to shoot it?

Fired it in the army, for the 100th anniversary of the 1916 rising in 2016 the defence forces reconditioned serval weapons to full working order, i was part of a group that test fired them

Now I know you can put them all in the ha'penny place, so for us who have some nostalgia please feel free to tell us more.

By the way do you have a few modern day (100 years new) full/ big bore stuff?

Save me getting them out -

1 x 1862 Three-band Snider .577 Snider cal rifle, saw service in the last Fenian revolt in Canada in the late 1870s, owned by a family member who was in the 44th Battalion of Infantry, Welland & Lincoln Militia.

1 x 1862 Two-band Snider Short rifle in .577 Snider, issued to Québec Garrison Artillery of the Citadelle, Quebec City. Pre-Confederation, this rifle has no DC in diamond stamps. You can see me shooting it on Youtube - tac's guns - Snider.

1 x 1897-built Ludwig Loewe Mauser carbine in 7x57, property of Piet Huijsen, who surrendered it after the Battle of Korannafontein on May 10 1901, page 264 of David Goerge' book 'Carved rifles of the Veldt'.

1 x 1898-built 6.5x55 Swedish Carl Gustaf m/96 service rifle with ultra-rare inter-war Wehrmann peep-sight.

1 x Mauser Model B in 7x57 recovered from Rhodesia in 1990.

1 x BSA .22 Model 2 rifle in unique take-down format by Alexander Martin of Glasgow, passed down from the original family.

1 x Swiss K11 7.5x55 carbine.

1 x Walther Model 2 semi-auto .22 rifle with original x2.5 scope dated around 1930-ish.

1 x Walther DSM .22cal from around 1937, sadly bubba'ed in the early 1950s.

1 x Mauser ES350B .22 rifle with matching 2.5 Ajack scope from 1937.

1 x Swiss 7.5x55 K31 carbine - with choice of Swiss Products diopter sights or x4 Weaver scopes various, on no-drill clamp-on mounts.

1 x 1957 .22cal BSA Martini International MkII, left-hand, with 1952 x18 Unertl Supertarget calibrated head scope.

1 x 1960 .22cal BSA International MkII with one-off laminated thumbhole stock and Tasco T707 x16 scope.

1 x late 1960's K31-actioned .308 Win 300m target rifle with Schults & Larsen barrel, W+F and Gehmann front and rear sights.

1 x 1972 Parker-Hale .577cal muzzle-loading Musketoon black powder short rifle.

1 x 1986 Krico 650SS practical/tactical .308Win rifle with 8 - 32x56 Nightforce NSX illuminated reticle scope.

1 x 1986 Ruger Old Army .44cal black powder stainless steel revolver.

1 x 2002 Ruger Super Redhawk UK mainland compliant .357Mag stainless steel revolver with Burris 2 - 7x35 scope.

1 x 1963 Anschutz Model 1409 .22 target rifle with Tasco x18 T707 scope.

1 x Uberti Winchester High-wall single shot rifle in .45-7-Government. New in 2015.

Seems there's twenty. Sorry 'bout that.

Lots over in the USA but they are not mine any more. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Own nothing unusual, unless you count a Mossberg 500.
    Always been interested in unusual operating designs, so bought an old Spencer-Bannerman pump action in an auction just fir the novelty value.
    Shame it had been "decomissioned".

:(

Since you count airguns over 12/6 ft lbs as firearms in the RoI, I thought I'd mention these as well -

1 x 1960 Walther LG55 target air rifle.

1 x 1950's Diana model 16 air rifle.

1 x mint and boxed Walther Model LP53 w/brown grips

1 x mint and boxed Walther Model LP53 w/black grips.

1 x EmGe Model LP2

1 x Steyr LP5 Olympic PCP pistol

1 x FAS Model 604 single-shot pneumatic pistol

A few gas-powered BB guns as well, for poppin' off at paper cups and tin cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

GolfVI wrote: »

That's hard to beat but I give you an 8mm Nambu pistol and a 1916 vintage German Imperial Armaments Factory Erfurt Luger in 9mm Parabellum..

The Luger was in amazing condition and the precision engineering of it is astonishing. The Nambu looked and felt like something out of a Provo or UDA clandestine workshop in the eighties.

tac, that's some list, I'm drooling so I am.

GolfVI.....still can't beat the Vickers,

.....but I had a go of a Sten Gun and shooting that will put a smile on your face:).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

LAR Grizzly 45 Win magnum mk1[hence the boards.ie moniker]. Lovely gun if you have big hands[I do] and plenty of noise out of too.

A copy of "the Terminator" pistol.AMT stainless longslide 1911 45 ACP with API predator lazer sight.State of the art stuff back in the late 80s.Thing was as big as a pistol scope today.But nice to shoot, the longslide really brought the 45 flip down to that of a .22.IE nothing

Mauser 1898 Broom handle"schnell feuer"[full auto ]M12 pistol. Utter waste of time without the buttstock holster,and even then barely controllable.

Those would stick out as exotics in a long list of guns.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I came second in a competition a few years back and got to shoot a Gabbet-Fairfax Mars pistol TWICE. Third place got to shoot it three times. That ought to tell you something about it.

I also got to shoot the disposable 'Liberator' pistol - five shots - and hit the Fig. 11 target three times at five feet.

Then the SOE Welrod 'silenced' pistol.

...and then, the very rarest of all Lugers, definitely, Krieghoff contract pistol #00001. Only fair, since I was the one who found it, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

1970 Lee Enfield Enforcer .308.
    It was the dedicated British Police Force sniper Rifle.
    767 commissioned...of which less than 240 are still in existance. This beaut makes the Enfield number 4 T look like a cannon gun for percision .
    These were so good and accurate that when they were updated to the AICS and were recalled back by the British police forces that they destroyed nearly all of them so that they could not be used.
    I am happy to say I own one..and to the best of my knowledge its the only one on the island..
    Its a beaut to shoot and a privelage to have.

• Advertisement

1970 Lee Enfield Enforcer .308.......

You had me on 'Lee Enfield Enforcer....'

....then you bowled me on "I am happy to say I own one..'
    Do you have the original case etc with it, even if you don't thats a fantastic rifle to own.

I have a Pecar 6×42  scope, the same company supplied the scope for the Enforcers but with a variable zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The most unusual one I've handled was a Dolne Apache pistol with folding nuckelduster grip and spring loaded blade under the barrel. That was back in the day in Afghanistan when every man and his dog carried a gun (at least one)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

While I think of it I've seen a full stocked Luger carbine and an 8 bore Paradox Gun, the weight of the Paradox explains why hunters had a gun bearer. :D

You had me on 'Lee Enfield Enforcer....'

....then you bowled me on "I am happy to say I own one..'
    Do you have the original case etc with it, even if you don't thats a fantastic rifle to own.

I have a Pecar 6×42  scope, the same company supplied the scope for the Enforcers but with a variable zoom.

They were not issued in cases/ crates like the military L39a1 or L42's.
    They were also issued with just one magazine.
    The reason been... if used, as a percision piece , it should not have required a second follow up shot.
    It was up to the individual police forces to specify what magnification scopes were required, I have the variable 4 10 x50 Pecar scope on mine.
    I met a Metroploitan Police Firearms instructor recently who was behind one during his time as a SO17 firearms team, where he was the Team sniper, as a professional he claimed it was the "finest" sniper rifle he ever used.

Mine was ex-Cambridge police issue and bought from the dealer after a police firearms auction. I had the straight 6x42 PECAR scope and Harris bipod.

I still have the Harris bipod on my Krico - it was the best part of my Enforcer that sadly shot like a garden hose. I offloaded it as soon as I was able for twice what I paid for it.

Ahhh I got the two mixed up. I thought it was issued as a complete kit.

For those who want to know a little more and like me don't want to read...

L42A1
    https://youtu.be/-6sfVyQ4i-0

Enforcer
    https://youtu.be/8GxCNB1fwZY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

They were not issued in cases/ crates like the military L39a1 or L42's.
    They were also issued with just one magazine.
    The reason been... if used, as a percision piece , it should not have required a second follow up shot.
    It was up to the individual police forces to specify what magnification scopes were required, I have the variable 4 10 x50 Pecar scope on mine.
    I met a Metroploitan Police Firearms instructor recently who was behind one during his time as a SO17 firearms team, where he was the Team sniper, as a professional he claimed it was the "finest" sniper rifle he ever used.

Any pictures? Pleeeeease :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Not unusual but I shot a few coyotes in the states with a semi auto 338 lapua belonging to my boss at the time.

Wasn't really anything special per say. Alexander arms I believe.

'Hdz

Any pictures? Pleeeeease :)

It wont allow me to add pics...says the "file is to big"...loading pics from the phone is a bit of a ball breaker...pm me ur number if u really want to see some pics...where r u based...I take it to the range with my other older service rifles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

For me its my all Parts correct, along with matching scope, Scope case and Transit case of my 1945 No4 MK1 T.

Known for having better accuracy than its later cousin the L42 ;-)

Advertisement