Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats burrowing into compost bin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

smacl wrote: »
    Must be a bit of karma in this thread as our younger tom caught his first rat last night which pleased myself and my wife as our older tom is on his last legs. Less good was her finding a dead mouse in the laundry basket this morning also due to said young tom. Swings and roundabouts :)

when I moved here, deep rural and island, the place had been empty five years. There was no problem inside but in the old cattle sheds.. I had 3 cats then and the oldest was the best ratter ever. He spent and still spends, hours by the rat run and every day or so there would be a dead rat for me. One was the size of a small cat; never seen the like. Freaked me out.

Not seen a rat around for many months .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Must be a bit of karma in this thread as our younger tom caught his first rat last night which pleased myself and my wife as our older tom is on his last legs. Less good was her finding a dead mouse in the laundry basket this morning also due to said young tom. Swings and roundabouts :)

My cateen got killed on the road.fcuker that hit him left him there.
    Least he could do was throw him up on the ditch.

I saw a great documentary one time where people meet up in New York at night with their ratting dogs and go on a ratty hunt.it looked like great craic and it brought people together as a community group.
    Like a fox hunt but the Fox is replaced by the rat.

There’s some greyhounds aswell as terriers that are great ratters

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry to hear about your cat, DRG. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,186 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Update: Due to the position of the compost bin on the corner of a raised bed and also with some plastic liner directly behind it there is only about 30 degrees that are vunerable to tunnelling. I have placed a mound of rocks on this area. I noticed that the rats were managing to burrow underneath from behind these so whenever they did this I just filled in the tunnels with more rocks and reconfigured the pile. There haven’t been any new tunnels in the past 24 hours. Now I’d like this think that this is due to them giving up, however the truth is likely a bit more macabre.

2 nights ago I was watching TV when I heard a thud from the kitchen window – the unmistakeable sound of a bird flying into it. I heard some cheeping but when I went outside I couldn’t see any bird so assumed that he must not have been injured and flown away. Last night I was looking out at the yard when I saw a rat dart out with a large piece of bird carcass in its mouth. Judging from the direction of where it came from the bird must have been in behind the wheelie bins where they likely got to him.

Quit the messing decide on posion or traps but get it sorted before they move in with you. There must be a a good few around you. If you see rats you are in real trouble.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Quit the messing decide on a cat posion or traps but get it sorted before they move in with you. There must be a a good few around you. If you see rats you are in real trouble.

FYP :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

We had a similar problem a couple of years ago. We got 2 puppies and 2 kittens and we haven't seen any since. Problem solved, with 4 great pets to boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Another myth perhaps but rats will move elsewhere if they even see cats or dogs and or smell their pee?

Any truth?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Myth. They may be more careful, but they won't leave, if they find shelter/food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I have been told that ferret droppings are a great deterrent. I don't know how true it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,186 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

some dogs and cats will not attcak rats. rats will sense that and take advantage of it. You need a cat whoes mother was a hunter to train there offspring to kill a rat.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Look for a shelter that has feral cats. They will be the best hunters.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I have been told that ferret droppings are a great deterrent. I don't know how true it is.

Don't know about the droppings, but many years ago a friend in school used to keep ferrets and make great pocket money taking them around some of the local factories and storehouses catching rats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

an animal shelter would be (or should be) damn slow to re-home cats to people who specifically want them to catch rats.

Most of our cats have either been found cats that have just rocked up to the front door or kittens fostered through the DSPCA that we've hung on to. Of the five we've had so far, the toms that are allowed roam seem to be best hunters. Currently down to three, with the two fatalities hit by cars.

New Home wrote: »
    Myth. They may be more careful, but they won't leave, if they find shelter/food.

Once a cat has killed one, they will all leave. Have seen that happen twice. My cats here are fierce and merciless ratters and after several kills not a rat anywhere near for months.

an animal shelter would be (or should be) damn slow to re-home cats to people who specifically want them to catch rats.

Thank you.

Three of my five cats are skilled and merciless ratters and total pets also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

An animal charity here specifically encourages adoption of their rescued feral cats to catch rats on farms. It says it on their site. Feral cats are not pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Pretty sure I just saw a mouse scurrying away from compost bin will have to have words with the two cats. They have left birds and mice as presents before so not sure why they have been lazy. I have seen the cats patrolling the compost recently

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

An animal charity here specifically encourages adoption of their rescued feral cats to catch rats on farms. It says it on their site. Feral cats are not pets.
    i'm genuinely curious as to why they 'rescue' them so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

i'm genuinely curious as to why they 'rescue' them so?

Trap neuter release. Stop crazy amount of feral cars breeding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

bkrangle wrote:
    I've got bird feeders with trays underneath which catches some, but not all, of the spillage

bkrangle wrote:
    The type of seed can affect the amount of waste a lot too. I tend to go for sunflower hearts and less mess varieties than the standard mixed seed now.

Birdseed will always attract vermin. Use raisins, nuts or brown breadcrumbs in very small amounts and feed twice a day if you are around. You will attract Robins, Blackbirds, Sparrows and Thrushes mostly.These are very friendly birds who will practically eat out your hand after a while and will always signal their presence with song and will be quite happy to have you stand and watch as they feed which is always a great pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Another myth perhaps but rats will move elsewhere if they even see cats or dogs and or smell their pee?

Any truth?

I had thought and hoped that was the case too. Our dog is incontinent and leaves small pools under her when she gets up. She smells awful. We have gone to vet and she takes tablets. But we had rats at the same time!

So no truth necessarily. But a dog will alert you to them and smell them. We poisioned them. They were under floor and behind wall. Inaccessible to us. Dreadful smell that lasted about over a month. Then bluebottles. We had to use incense to cover the smell. Could have no guests etc. Dreadful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Not precisely relevant to compost bins: but...

One thing that deters rats is the smoke from burning chillies.
    I've done this - the smoke is acrid, corrosive - don't stand downwind of it.
    Place a rag soaked in eg oil or Vaseline on a small spade or something similar, set light, it should smoulder rather than flame: push into the rat holes.

Rats are Neophobe - they don't trust new or strange things - it is a reason for their great survival. But they also don't like being hassled day after day in their home.

There's a long-established rat labyrinth in the grass verges on my suburban street and sometimes new holes appear in the grass. I'm aggressive about tackling them, though. Chilli smoke and hassle. And no available food.

and feral cats need people who will feed and care for them too. They advertise on donedeal as " farm cats"

A cat might kill the rats. A trap will kill the rats, and you don't have to feed a trap or clean it's **** up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A cat might kill the rats. A trap will kill the rats, and you don't have to feed a trap or clean it's **** up.

So true. If you want to kill rats, then get a decent trap. Feral cats are a blight on the countryside, killing birds and small mammals indiscriminately while fouling our gardens in the process.

My experience has been that rats get smart to traps pretty quickly. After moving in to our current house we caught about half a dozen in the first year and after that nothing, but they were still visible. If you can eliminate the food source and potential for shelter that's grand, but we have a shop next door with a deli counter and the refuse bin is pretty much a running buffet for the local rat population. Cats seem to do a better job, and if you leave a plot for them to crap, they can be trained to use it. We currently have three cats and two dogs and it is the dogs that could do with a lesson or two about not crapping all over the garden.

My experience has been that rats get smart to traps pretty quickly. After moving in to our current house we caught about half a dozen in the first year and after that nothing, but they were still visible. If you can eliminate the food source and potential for shelter that's grand, but we have a shop next door with a deli counter and the refuse bin is pretty much a running buffet for the local rat population. Cats seem to do a better job, and if you leave a plot for them to crap, they can be trained to use it. We currently have three cats and two dogs and it is the dogs that could do with a lesson or two about not crapping all over the garden.

As well as baiting the trap, you place it is such a way as the rats have to walk over it. Create a run if you have to. They're smart enough but not that smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Rats are intelligent little divils and when you get used to seeing them, they become another wild animal in the garden. But they do carry weils and yours (and mine) may not but you do have to be careful. I live rurally and saw rats well before I moved here (actually city rats were much larger and meaner looking)

I did have them in the house here (wintering in the attic) the only solution was to completely refurbish all the fascia boards (they haven't come back in) they do hang around the compost and love the fat balls and nuts we put out for the birds.

We trap them (poison could be a hazard to birds) and while this doesn't remove the population it lowers it, along with the fox eating them and also the (dreaded feral cats) as predators - they are kept to a minimun.

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    Rats are intelligent little divils and when you get used to seeing them, they become another wild animal in the garden. But they do carry weils and yours (and mine) may not but you do have to be careful. I live rurally and saw rats well before I moved here (actually city rats were much larger and meaner looking)

I did have them in the house here (wintering in the attic) the only solution was to completely refurbish all the fascia boards (they haven't come back in) they do hang around the compost and love the fat balls and nuts we put out for the birds.

We trap them (poison could be a hazard to birds) and while this doesn't remove the population it lowers it, along with the fox eating them and also the (dreaded feral cats) as predators - they are kept to a minimun.

We took a while here to understand what so many rats were doing here as when I moved in the place had been empty for many years and the dwelling itself is a sealed unit. No food anywhere for them.

This is a small island. Three fields away to the south there is a small farm and another smallholding the same to the west. With feed stores and rats and no cats.. So we think that this patch had been a nesting site on their "patch". Rats as you rightly say are highly organised as communities.

They are no longer around here; the run is grown over and they are too canny to try to survive with my team of five cats. and I do not feed the birds or compost so nothing for them. Never seen one the size of the grand daddy... No trap could have caught him! Bigger than my smallest cat. shudders...

Advertisement