Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alleged paedophile ring in Fermanagh.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,962 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I know because a man who has a healthy sexual relationship with a woman wouldn't have inclination to stick his penis into a boy's anus.

I suppose the question I’m asking is how do you know their sexual relationship is healthy and how can you preclude the possibility that it’s faked?

This also assumes that a man who is married to a woman and has sex with her can’t also be gay. But we have years of evidence of gays getting married and having children because it wasn’t socially acceptable to be openly gay.

I don’t think it’s impossible to fake a relationship. I’ve no idea why you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

How do you know what their sexual orientation is? You know they’re attracted to children. Gays married opposite sex people for years because they couldn’t be open about their sexual orientation. I imagine paedophiles just get married and try not to attract attention.

I know because a man who has a healthy sexual relationship with a woman wouldn't have inclination to stick his penis into a boy's anus.
    But he would have an inclination to stick it into a little girl!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Der Stier

I'm sure Tommy Robinson will be over post haste.

No need, the law will take care of these guys, unlike the grooming gangs in the UK of a certain religious persuasion that they covered up and enabled for years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Der Stier

This reminds me of a conversation I overheard on the DART back in the 2nd Micheal Jackson trial.

*in a strong dublin accent

"I don't think he's gilty, cos he's got loads of money, he's so bleedin' rich like if he were gay he could have any gay man he wanted .... "

double f*cking facepalm.

So apparently as a straight man, I should watch myself around young girls - I just might get tempted!

Sardonicat wrote: »

Would he?

Why do someone think he is attracted to adults at all? Because he’s married to a woman, right? But we already know people can get married for reasons other than sexual attraction.

We know they’re attracted to children boys/girls. That’s a separate category from people who are attracted to adult men/women.

• Advertisement

Would he?

Why do someone think he is attracted to adults at all? Because he’s married to a woman, right? But we already know people can get married for reasons other than sexual attraction.

We know they’re attracted to children boys/girls. That’s a separate category from people who are attracted to adult men/women.
    I agree 100% with you. What OP managed to infer with his convoluted homophobia is that all adult males are sexually attracted to children. This is NOT a belief I share.

I agree 100% with you. What OP managed to infer with his convoluted homophobia is that all adult males are sexually attracted to children. This is NOT a belief I share.
    Ah I get you.

I’d like that poster to simply spell out their belief rather than pussyfooting around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,021 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would he?

Not necessarily - people can be attracted to more than one category of people. Why do you think it has to be exclusive?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Not necessarily - people can be attracted to more than one category of people. Why do you think it has to be exclusive?
    Now that you mention it, you’re right. Lots of people are attracted to more than one discrete type of person.

I suppose I see attraction to children as a perversion and acting on that attraction is a disgusting crime. So I see it as a completely different category.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

He (OSullivan) came on to me one night when I was maybe 16-17, also to a friend of mine, he would drive out the roads of Enniskillen at night looking for people to give lifts to

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sullivan's mother was still alive when he was murdered. How could she let her son turn into a child-rapist?

Eh?

So every rapist out there, their mother is to blame for letting them?

FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

You don't understand anything about this topic. First of all, people can have multiple preferences. So being attracted to women doesn't prevent there being another attraction present. Second, all child molestation isn't about attraction to underage people. Sometimes it's just about the act and picking a vulnerable victim.

Der Stier wrote: »
    No need, the law will take care of these guys, unlike the grooming gangs in the UK of a certain religious persuasion that they covered up and enabled for years....

Wasn't he arrested for interfering with ongoing court cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

What I mean is that an accusation would be more credible if the alleged victim is a girl.

Neyite wrote: »
    Eh?

So every rapist out there, their mother is to blame for letting them?

FFS.

She brought him up - she let him become a monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You can't fault a parent for their child becoming one of the philes, unless said parent performed said acts on their own child. And as much as people may not want to think it, it does happen and most likely someone you know has been involved at some stage.

That’s the thing and it’s a disturbing thought. Someone could be an exemplary parent and their child might still grow up to be a paedophile. :eek:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

She brought him up - she let him become a monster.

By that logic we can blame his father too...

What I mean is that an accusation would be more credible if the alleged victim is a girl.
    How so? You seem to think that adults with a sexual attraction to children fall along hetero/homo lines. This is nor the case. For most the attraction is to an undeveloped body and more importantly, the defenceless of a child.The priest and prolific child rapist, Oliver O'Grady, deliberately instigated a sexual affair with a woman so he could get access to her son to rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I expect it's more about the power dynamic than the sex of the victim.

That’s the thing and it’s a disturbing thought. Someone could be an exemplary parent and their child might still grow up to be a paedophile. :eek:

Therein lies the question (that no one ever seems to want to answer): is someone a) born a pedophile; or do they b) develop into a pedophile via certain cultural and societal influences?

If the answer is a - then you can't really blame the parents (and it also turns the attention to the elephant in the room)
    If the answer is b - then surely we should be trying to work out what these are rather than blaming the parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Therein lies the question (that no one ever seems to want to answer): is someone a) born a pedophile; or do they b) develop into a pedophile via certain cultural and societal influences?

If the answer is a - then you can't really blame the parents (and it also turns the attention to the elephant in the room)
    If the answer is b - then surely we should be trying to work out what these are rather than blaming the parents?

Can be either.

• Advertisement

Therein lies the question (that no one ever seems to want to answer): is someone a) born a pedophile; or do they b) develop into a pedophile

I suspect it can be both. That there is no one answer.

It is a hard question to answer for sure. Even with homosexuality we have a problem answering that same question. And we have none of the bigger problems in studying it that we do with studying paedophilia.

What makes the problem even worse - and really fries the noodle of some people - is that many people who sexually abuse a child or even multiple children - are not even paedophiles in the first place.

But Tommy doesn't like pedophiles! It's not the Muslims he's against, remember?

I don't think it's true that anyone is withholding the answer from you. It's just a very complex issue and it's impossible to do controlled experiments. It's also impossible to get good data because it's a topic about which people are secretive.

You missed the third explanation which is a mix of the A and B.

You also missed explanation that it could be a biological change. Or someone could he developing normally and experience brain trauma which changed their development.

Truth is we don't know what causes it.

It's also impossible to get good data because it's a topic about which people are secretive.

True - but it is actually a bit worse than even that.

Rather than getting no data because people are secretive - we do get data from the only paedophiles we generally know exist. Convicted criminals.

Getting our data about paedophiles solely from convicted criminals would be like trying to get data on the pick up techniques of the average man by only studying convicted rapists.

In some ways it is worse than no data at all!

I don't think it's true that anyone is withholding the answer from you. It's just a very complex issue and it's impossible to do controlled experiments. It's also impossible to get good data because it's a topic about which people are secretive.

You missed the third explanation which is a mix of the A and B.

You also missed explanation that it could be a biological change. Or someone could he developing normally and experience brain trauma which changed their development.

Truth is we don't know what causes it.

Oh, I'm not saying they are withholding it - just refusing to answer. My point is that once you determine it, it makes the problem of pedophilia a lot easier to resolve and thus makes kids safer.

But it means confronting the issue, which most people are not comfortable with and thus, the biggest obstacle to safety.

True - but it is actually a bit worse than even that.

Rather than getting no data because people are secretive - we do get data from the only paedophiles we generally know exist. Convicted criminals.

Getting our data about paedophiles solely from convicted criminals would be like trying to get data on the pick up techniques of the average man by only studying convicted rapists.

In some ways it is worse than no data at all!

True enough. There are places that deal with people who are attracted to children but want help to make sure they never act on it. I remember hearing about a place In German.

There's a great chance that the people who act on it are an intersection of people who are attracted to children and are the kind of person who would rape someone. They could be a tiny minority of people with an attraction to children.

I'm attracted to women but I wouldn't rape anyone.

https://www.impartialreporter.com/news/18070468.10-friends-died-abused-one-lucky-ones/?ref=twtrec&fbclid=IwAR1H3iexan4Pnmf6bFmdOXpWp0BzWHkTSWkEHAXqs3PCwYyKUIiCmfn8mEU
    With his piercing brown eyes, Kevin Brown from Enniskillen (pictured above then and now), looks straight down our photographer’s lens. “I don’t need to hide anymore, I don’t need to feel guilty anywhere,” he says.
    He went on to share that he was assaulted a second time, but by a different man from the first incident. He said: “The second incident I was walking home one night from my grandparents and on the way home there was a man in a telephone box and he followed me to the back alley of where I lived and he pulled me into a garden and sexually assaulted me.”

He added: “That was a very big thing to happen, it was a bit more intense than the previous thing.”

Kevin shared that the second man who assaulted him began to approach him on the street and “all sorts of places.”

He said: “Basically this man sort of pursued me and then started to offer me money and basically groomed me into having sex with him.” This was the beginning of a series of events which took place in the public toilets at Nugent’s Entry, the man explained.

“I would turn up and meet this man and he would give me money then he would ask me to meet him. Sometimes he wouldn’t be there but there would be someone else there and it just opened up this whole thing of all these different men being there,” he shared.

He explained that the encounters most often happened on a Sunday because that was the day that “the town used to be very quiet.”

He said: “In that alleyway there was nobody and those toilets were empty, only for those men, and I would turn up and then I started seeing other boys there that I would’ve been at school with.”

“I got into this thing of meeting these men, I don’t really know what happened but I was involved in this ring really,” he added.

If a man had approached me when I was 12 years old and offered me money to let him do what he wanted with me, I'd have run a mile.

Obviously, at that age, Kevin could not have consented to what was done to him but the fact that he was sick after being attacked for the first time means that he definitely regarded it as horrible. So why would he consider the offer of money as being worth going through that time and time again?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Obviously, at that age, Kevin could not have consented to what was done to him but the fact that he was sick after being attacked for the first time means that he definitely regarded it as horrible. So why would he consider the offer of money as being worth going through that time and time again?

Its hard to explain but its pretty common when minors are groomed to be prostitutes.

I saw a bit of a documentary on this case (Spotlight I think) a few days back and it was an open secret that the bus station toilets in Enniskillen was a meeting place for all these paedos and they shared him around. Really horrific stuff and a blind eye was turned by many to what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Really horrific stuff and a blind eye was turned by many to what was going on.

Well, if it was before 1994 it wouldn’t have been seen as something very wrong, would it?

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Going off this topic, which is outrageous, I had a quick look into research on paedophilia.

Two things stood out to me. First, it's unheard of across the entire animal kingdom. Secondly, if it's true, over half of studied pedophiles have had brain trauma before the age of 12.

Regardless, I view all new-age research into sexual deviance as complete and utter codswallop. Every damned excuse under the sun to, let's be honest, handwave away nutters as "normal".

He likes boys and women and dresses as a Turkish delight at the weekends? Oh, sure perfectly normal, it's just the *insert latest claptrap of the day*.

She likes to pretend to be a horse while married to a woman who's bisexual and into pansexualism? Nothing could be more sane, all you need to do is remove society's backward stigmas and all shall be grand!

Pedophilia is a mental malfunction. It's "bad" today, and I don't give a flying **** if it becomes "normalised" in 20 years. Or bestiality, or any of it. I'll never accept it, because it is evidently and obviously nuts!

All nutters, each and every last one, and just because some have managed to worm their way into being miraculously "normal" just this minute, won't change the facts of the matter.

Crazy, crazy stuff going on, weirdos left, right and centre. Crazy doesn't last though, and the ironic thing is that the MORE crazies come out of the woodwork, the easier it becomes to see all of them.

Advertisement