Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Nightclubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

There's a generation coming through that will never experience the big club nights of the 90s and 00s. The likes of Tripod, Temple Theatre, Spirit, Ambassador etc. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

jr86 wrote: »
    When I was a student in Dublin in the early-mid 00s Blackrock was absolutely buzzing at the weekends

Wicked Wolf and I think I remember a club upstairs where Wetherspoons is now? 1 or 2 more aswell
    Tonic

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

town is a joke these days,

€7.50 for a pint of heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Tamangos is still going - last one standing - but it's in a hotel anyway

It is, yes. Was there over Christmas and it was busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

JDigweed wrote: »
    There's a generation coming through that will never experience the big club nights of the 90s and 00s. The likes of Tripod, Temple Theatre, Spirit, Ambassador etc. Such a shame.

Even the whole going to a club process in general has changed

When I started going out early 00s, many clubs wouldn't even let you in in jeans never mind runners/hoodies - you had to really dress especially for going clubbing.

Nowadays the lines are very blurred between late bars and "clubs".

I can't remember the last time I was ever even on a dancefloor anywhere, or I was in a place that actually had one. And when I'm out, I will always go somewhere till 230/3! But there are so many bars nowadays that give this option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Tripod was the best club in Ireland and had a great promotion company keeping a steady stream of talent every Friday or Saturday. Such a shame it’s gone. Had some of the best nights of my life in that place. Knew all the bouncers as well. Hawtin, digweed, Sasha to name a few. It was always rammed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

vriesmays wrote: »
    20 years ago Dublin had lots of weekly dance clubs. Not anymore because dance music is the dodo.

I think, sadly, that you are right. I haven't lived in Dublin for a long while, but was on Middle Abbey St and it made me sad - Spirit now a live music venue (I think for a while now), and Twisted Pepper now some sort of ping-pong and chicken wings hipster bullsh*te.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was just wondering about suburban clubs when reading the thread. I havent heard of Tamangoes in Portmarnock in years, anyone know what the building is now?

Barcode - closed
    Blacker - closed
    K2 (in Howth) - closed

All of the nightclubs (well, such as they were) in the north east of Dublin are closed; there is not a single one between the city centre and Portmarnock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

francois wrote: »
    Ukiyo has late nights both in the restaurant and a bigger space downstairs, on Exchequer St.

I wholeheartedly second this. And Izakaya on George's Street. Good mix of music, different DJs regularly and the crowds aren't as writhing and sloppy as Harcourt Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

The late bars in Dublin replacing some of the clubs are not that great really. No different to places outside Dublin. I'd imagine though that Everleigh Gardens and DTwo still get a fairly decent 18-25 crowd? Diceys also, although thats a real mix lots of South Americans and after work people in, cheap drink. Not sure I like it, not much of a dancefloor there either as far as I remember.

Is that Club M place still open in Temple Bar? Not sure I was ever in it, assume it's mostly tourists.

Good website that seems to have update info on venues on Dublin : http://www.nightoutexpert.com/dublin/venues/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Good website that seems to have update info on venues on Dublin : http://www.nightoutexpert.com/dublin/venues/

At least one of those places doesn't exist anymore (Luggage Room) so its not that up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The late bars in Dublin replacing some of the clubs are not that great really. No different to places outside Dublin. I'd imagine though that Everleigh Gardens and DTwo still get a fairly decent 18-25 crowd? Diceys also, although thats a real mix lots of South Americans and after work people in, cheap drink. Not sure I like it, not much of a dancefloor there either as far as I remember.

The Academy gets a fairly decent 18-25 crowd for their club nights aswell on Friday and Saturday night not too dear either usually €5 to €10 in and €3 for the cheapest drinks in the venue. Bouncers don't seem to be as bad these days either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly second this. And Izakaya on George's Street. Good mix of music, different DJs regularly and the crowds aren't as writhing and sloppy as Harcourt Street.

Yeah smaller spaces like this seem to be the choice now for a lot of people, not quite as hectic or loud as a nightclub but still somewhere you can hear good music and have a dance. The new venue off Grafton Street called Lost Lane (used to be Lillies?) is a bit like this despite being such a big venue.

I feel bad for the generation of 19/20 year olds now, they have very few options in terms of bigger dance music venues. District 8 is closed, Hangar gone before that, twisted pepper downsized and re-branded.

A lot of hipster type late bars around now. Not really my scene a lot of them seem pretentious tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

With all the gang violence in Dublin I’d say most venue managers are terrified of their place attracting “the wrong crowd”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

francois wrote: »
    Ukiyo has late nights both in the restaurant and a bigger space downstairs, on Exchequer St.

Great spot at weekends - class music!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Tripod was the best club in Ireland and had a great promotion company keeping a steady stream of talent every Friday or Saturday. Such a shame it’s gone. Had some of the best nights of my life in that place. Knew all the bouncers as well. Hawtin, digweed, Sasha to name a few. It was always rammed as well.

Managed to get a few visits to Tripod before it went. Was great as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

With all the gang violence in Dublin I’d say most venue managers are terrified of their place attracting “the wrong crowd”

Very little trouble at big dance events to be honest, all the ecstasy has a calming influence.
    It's the late bars with all the entitled tossers that cause all of the hassle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Trance events in Dublin always managed to find the cream of the crop of undesirables. I go to events outside Dublin - NI/Northern England or Holland usually

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Most memorable day out I ever had. March 16th, a 12-12 gig in McGruders, followed by I think Timo Maas in Tripod. We got to Tripod around 930. Back of the queue, lit a fag, and saw a gap. In I go. The lads followed. Straight up the front, showed yer man my wallet and said box office. Up the left hand stairs. Wouldn't have the balls to do it these days, the others were shocked at my bravery. Savage night.

Trance events in Dublin always managed to find the cream of the crop of undesirables. I go to events outside Dublin - NI/Northern England or Holland usually
    Is there still trance nights on, where? I like trance but never went to the events.

• Advertisement

Very little trouble at big dance events to be honest, all the ecstasy has a calming influence.
    The outdoor festivals were a magnet for trouble If Creamfields was on here I'd say there'd be carnage. Would be good though, I 'm not a fan of the small hipster festivals here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The outdoor festivals were a magnet for trouble If Creamfields was on here I'd say there'd be carnage. Would be good though, I 'm not a fan of the small hipster festivals here now.

Sure remember the stabbings at the Swedish House Mafia concerts in the Phoenix Park a couple of years back

Is there still trance nights on, where? I like trance but never went to the events.

Very very few, usually in whatever the Voodoo Lounge is called this week or the Button Factory. All scrotefests

Portrush, Birmingham, Leeds or Amsterdam is where I've gone for the past 6 or 7 years rather than deal with the Dublin crowd. Non-Dublin Irish gigs were fine when they happened - did everywhere from Cork to Donegal, places as small as Camolin or as big as Cork City or Letterkenny and none got the same problems as Dublin gigs. As soon as its within a taxi ride of Dublin it becomes intolerable.

Some of the Dublin gigs were still good, particularly in Tripod and/or 515 or Letrik nights (think I had tickets to that Timo Maas gig in 2007 that beertons mentioned actually, but sold them on); saw van Dyk, Armin, Oakenfold all headline there and one really odd private promotion night of Gabriel & Dresden in the back room upstairs. But it went to **** very fast - and I'd expect someone older would have seen all of it as a disaster already!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Very very few, usually in whatever the Voodoo Lounge is called this week or the Button Factory. All scrotefests

John O'Callaghan & Giuseppe Ottaviani in Opium was my first trance gig in a long time in Ireland and it was far from a scrotefest. Always a lot more old skool at trance gigs compared to the influx of kids these days for house/etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Pod years ago wasnt a scrotefest. Creation parties were never a scrotefest. Never heard a negative word nevermind hassle.

No my point is that venue managers would be scared of holding them in case there’d be trouble.

Trance in particular attracted the worst of the worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Trance in particular attracted the worst of the worst?

I always had the same impression going to nights in Dublin - usually a lot more Celtic jerseys and baseball caps in evidence at tranc-ier events.

No my point is that venue managers would be scared of holding them in case there’d be trouble.

Venues did specifically refuse to host them leading to an ever reducing pool of places to hold them. That said it only reduced slightly faster than the total number of places you could host them in anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Yeah, the trance gigs in the tivoli and Eddie haliwell in the Ambassador had its share of hooligans but i never experienced any trouble or seen many fights tbh everyone on E.
    I reckon a trance gig now days would be very tame because of the crowd have gotten a bit older. Letrik was decent but that John Gibbons lad was ridiculous we used to just laugh when he came on, my latest memory is him starting his set to the rocky theme... how embarrassing hahahaha

Advertisement