Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

book quotes that give the title away

Options
  • 13-06-2019 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭

Please, sir. I want some more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.

Somewhere in la Mancha, in a place whose name I do not care to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

This is commonly referred to as the Wheelbarrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

One ring to rule them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Call me Ishmael.

STATELY, PLUMP BUCK MULLIGAN CAME FROM THE STAIRHEAD, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It was a dark and stormy night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Once upon a time...

Hindus, in their capacity for love, are indeed hairless Christians

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Amen

• Advertisement

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

Nelly, I am Heathcliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, further westwards, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling too upon every part of the lonely churchyard where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

We all float down here.

"I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all", the Sergeant was saying, "it is a new-fangled instrument"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

For never was a story of more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I do not like them in a house.
    I do not like them with a mouse.
    I do not like them here or there.
    I do not like them anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Everybody was feeling happy now. The sun was shining brightly out of a soft blue sky and the day was calm. The giant peach, with the sunlight glinting on it's side, was like a massive golden ball sailing upon a silver sea.

I couldn't help it, boss

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

'Tis

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

"They seemed to be staring at the dark, but their eyes were watching God."

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them."

You become. It takes a long time. That’s why it doesn’t happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get all loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.

There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class.

Some birds are not meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild.

A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

It doesn't make a damned bit of difference who wins the war to someone who's dead

• Advertisement

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.

Advertisement