Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Zoe heavy refresh nearly here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,133 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mickeroo wrote: »
    At least it managed to beat the L62 and e-golf I suppose.

Edit: oh wait it was an L62 in hot weather it beat and was beaten by another L62 on a different day.

Ha you had just edited while I was quoting this :D

Yes, even L62 in winter was quicker than this Zoe. L62 in summer must have suffered from terrible battery overheating. That's what you get Nissan, if you don't cool the battery at all, duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

Again further proof that only the basic non fast charging Zoë at 27.5k makes sense all the rest of them don't.

adunis wrote: »
    Again further proof that only the basic non fast charging Zoë at 27.5k makes sense all the rest of them don't.

It would make sense at 20k, preferably a good bit less

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

adunis wrote: »
    Plenty of better cars out there at that money

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

He spent a lot of time charging it too, it didn’t charge much faster then the eGolf.

With our work Zoe I’d be very confident of doing the 1000kms with 3 charges and driving at 110kph.

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    He spent a lot of time charging it too, it didn’t charge much faster then the eGolf.

With our work Zoe I’d be very confident of doing the 1000kms with 3 charges and driving at 110kph.
    Unless that's a Q motor ZE40 I would not be confident.
    That means you'd have to get 250km from each charge, and renault themselves quote 54 mins 10-80% at 43kW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Storm in a teacup lads......

Will still be a perfectly usable car for most EV requirements.

Two things likely to happen......

1) Like L40 with rapidgate - people will buy them because they don't in fact need to do these long trips.

2) they won't sell and Renault will have to do something on the price to make it competitive.

Its arguably too dear but NOT because of its 1000 km performance.

It's because when you spec it up you aren't far off a much better eSoul - a bigger car with around 12 kwh extra battery size.

Would still be a decent chariot if Renault let you have CCS at 26 k.

But they don't....

Even if they offered it at 750 on top of 26 k that would be not bad.

Would we still be looking at 130 to 140 miles all year round on 100 percent.

That's good enough for most Zoe users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

He made that point. Its just a artificial Benchmark.

In reality if you having to do long journeys like that regularly you won't have an EV in the first place.

it is interesting though as it highlights things that would be as obvious over a short journey.

For example he pointed out the issue that charging speed has to improve.

ELM327 wrote: »
    That means you'd have to get 250km from each charge, and renault themselves quote 54 mins 10-80% at 43kW

We’re getting over 300kms per charge out of it and yes it has the faster charger. Very efficient little yoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How many people actually do 1000km in a single sitting in this country.... i'd say miniscule numbers.

While the 1000km challenge is good "TV" its not nearly as useful as a 500km challenge would be. He should report the figures for 500km's. Did he ever post a table of that? That would be interesting.

• Advertisement

Good idea.
    We need to get an Irish channel going and do Dublin to Galway and Dublin to Cork, Galway to Waterford etc trips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

ELM327 wrote: »

I have a Q90 Zoe and in all honesty my experience hasn't matched Renault's claims.Im doing well if I can get 33-34kw and even then that's SOC and temperature dependent.I need to sort out an OBD reader and CanZE and get some actual figures on it.

It makes no huge difference to me as I don't need to charge too often.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Good idea.
    We need to get an Irish channel going and do Dublin to Galway and Dublin to Cork, Galway to Waterford etc trips
    There's an IEVOA organised rally each year , Dublin to cork and back was the last 2 years

KCross wrote: »
    How many people actually do 1000km in a single sitting in this country.... i'd say miniscule numbers.

While the 1000km challenge is good "TV" its not nearly as useful as a 500km challenge would be. He should report the figures for 500km's. Did he ever post a table of that? That would be interesting.

Agreed that 500km would be far more relevant on a small island like Ireland. In most other countries in the western world, a 1000km trip would be a regular occurrence for many people

We can't expect Nyland to have a special Ireland test though, can we? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

Old diesel wrote: »
    Storm in a teacup lads......

Will still be a perfectly usable car for most EV requirements.

Two things likely to happen......

1) Like L40 with rapidgate - people will buy them because they don't in fact need to do these long trips.

2) they won't sell and Renault will have to do something on the price to make it competitive.

Its arguably too dear but NOT because of its 1000 km performance.

It's because when you spec it up you aren't far off a much better eSoul - a bigger car with around 12 kwh extra battery size.

Would still be a decent chariot if Renault let you have CCS at 26 k.

But they don't....

Even if they offered it at 750 on top of 26 k that would be not bad.

Would we still be looking at 130 to 140 miles all year round on 100 percent.

That's good enough for most Zoe users.

Couldn't have said it better

I agree with all your arguments, Old diesel, but this alone sums the car up best:
    Old diesel wrote: »
    Its arguably too dear

It's just far too expensive. And if they can't sell it for €19-20k (after almost €10k in subsidies) without making a profit, take out that bloody 52kWh battery. Nobody needs that in a city car. Stick in a battery half the size, price it realistically and you have a winner

I'd rather have a MINI EV myself if I were in the market for a small hip city car...

unkel wrote: »
    Agreed that 500km would be far more relevant on a small island like Ireland. In most other countries in the western world, a 1000km trip would be a regular occurrence for many people

We can't expect Nyland to have a special Ireland test though, can we? :p

I think we can tbh. It might be a trip that some on the continent do for holidays etc but its not their everyday activity, so a 500km test would be just as relevant to them as the 1000km test.

Its trivial for him to do it. All he has to do is look at the stats at the 500km mark when doing the 1000km test and list that in a table. He probably could even do it retrospectively from the footage he has.

Maybe I should email him! ;)

KCross wrote: »
    Maybe I should email him! ;)

Maybe you should. Probably easier to convince him than it is me. Maybe. Good luck with that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I agree with all your arguments, Old diesel, but this alone sums the car up best:

It's just far too expensive. And if they can't sell it for €19-20k (after almost €10k in subsidies) without making a profit, take out that bloody 52kWh battery. Nobody needs that in a city car. Stick in a battery half the size, price it realistically and you have a winner

I'd rather have a MINI EV myself if I were in the market for a small hip city car...

The mini seems a good price point but is it really a 4 seater?

beauf wrote: »
    The mini seems a good price point but is it really a 4 seater?
    For two larger adults it's barely a 2 seater let alone 4!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Isn't that fiats concept car idea, you'll have a smaller cheaper permanent battery (maybe 25 /30 kw ), grand for tipping about ..
    But of you want to go off to do occasional longer trips you'll rent extra battery modules ..( I think it was something like lift the back seats and clip 3 or 4 in , )
    Not that Fiat have much cred with electric cars ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Markcheese wrote: »
    Isn't that fiats concept car idea, you'll have a smaller cheaper permanent battery (maybe 25 /30 kw ), grand for tipping about ..
    But of you want to go off to do occasional longer trips you'll rent extra battery modules ..( I think it was something like lift the back seats and clip 3 or 4 in , )

I always thought that the Fiat 500e looked great,although you'd have to be able to put up with the complete absence of fast charging.And live in California.

Yup...

Very cool car, but renting the batteries is a load of bull. By the time you have driven to your FIAT garage and got the batteries installed, you could have fast charged along your long journey a few times.

We don't need big batteries, we need very fast charging with a good infrastructure.

Very cool car, but renting the batteries is a load of bull. By the time you have driven to your FIAT garage and got the batteries installed, you could have fast charged along your long journey a few times.

We don't need big batteries, we need very fast charging with a good infrastructure.

I dunno , you pay for the range you want at the start , if your circumstances change you can buy another pack or 2, ,
    If you want extra short term you go rent one ... (Do you really want to be charging every 100 km on the way to Donegal,or your auties in London
    .)
    Yes it only really works if lots of marques use the same modular battery pack system ( but look at fiat/Chrysler/psa/ Opel or the VW group ,)
    Shouldn't even have to go to a Fiat garage maybe your local garage or charge station ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yes it only really works if lots of marques use the same modular battery pack system

Eh yeah. That was Agassi's plan in 2007. It looked great on paper but it failed miserably in practice. Google "Better Place". We are 13 years on now and some EV manufacturers that actually understand this game are producing cars that can charge at 250kW and they also build a global network of chargers that can provide 250kW. 20 minute charge (just about enough time for a quick toilet break and to grab a coffee from a machine) and a you're good for another 200km at motorway speeds. If only laggards like FIAT concentrated on that instead of these gimmicks...

Which is cool ,but that level of charging speeds also has it's problems and inefficiencies too , ( more at grid level )
    Plus batteries are for the moment in the range of 100 to 150 euros a kw, so there's a considerable difference in price between buying a 25 kw car that'll do you 50 weeks a year and a 64 kw or 100kw battery for when you go on holidays ...
    If a Dacia sandero has a 50 kw battery it's going to be a mutherf#@kin expensive Dacia , where with a 22 kw it's going to be more reasonable ... (Well 2 to 4 grand cheaper anyway )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

25kWh is fine in a supermini or any city car. As long as it can charge at 3C-4C (like Teslas), so at 75kW-100kW, it can even be used for long distance driving provided there is a decent network of fast chargers

No need for any of this nonsense with battery swap / hire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote:
    Exactly. If only 30-40kWh battery cars could do 100kW charging.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

25kWh is fine in a supermini or any city car. As long as it can charge at 3C-4C (like Teslas), so at 75kW-100kW, it can even be used for long distance driving provided there is a decent network of fast chargers

No need for any of this nonsense with battery swap / hire
    Tesla doesn't charge at those rates for long. You can achieve fast touring speeds in a Tesla by only using the bottom 60% of the battery and fast charging for 20 min every 200k. Employing the same strategy in a 25kWh car you'd be stopping every 70km and your total driving time would be much longer.

Advertisement