Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Treble double

Terrible performance from footballers, come up against a top team and a serious press and their game falls apart. Some shocking individual performances and shocking selection decisions.
    Obviously we are no where near the top teams but to get a drubbing like this is very disappointing.

Terrible performance from footballers, come up against a top team and a serious press and their game falls apart. Some shocking individual performances and shocking selection decisions.
    Obviously we are no where near the top teams but to get a drubbing like this is very disappointing.

Agreed with everything in the above. Can’t see Colm Collins continuing in his role as Clare manager beyond this year. Very flat today and Mayo far more conditioned and better strength and conditioning. Could be a long second 35 mins not withstanding the loss of the two O Connor brothers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

5 points down at the water break and we'll on top, COME ON THE BANNER

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Some score off the left there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mayo going down very easy and killing the game off cynically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Fair play to them, monster effort. Had the Mayo boys sweating for the last 15.

4 points is a fair reflection of the difference between the sides

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Hard luck to the Clare footballers. Great effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Clareman wrote: »
    4 points is a fair reflection of the difference between the sides

They did us proud in the end, nothing but pure commitment to the last kick of the ball. What cost us was our inability to secure our own kickout. It’s such an important part of the game, the few times Mayo lost their kickout, we made them pay the price

Thought the referee was decent too, there could have been black cards for both teams but he was consistent

Fair play to them, monster effort. Had the Mayo boys sweating for the last 15.

The game was over at half time. Clare management got the selection of the team wrong and paid for it.
    There was questionable selection decisions made against Tipp in championship last year and it cost them as well. I called at the time for Collins's back room team to be changed up and it didn't happen.
    Collins is without question a great great manager, the spirit that was shown in the second half was inspiring, but the game was over at half time and moral victories aren't worth a curse to anyone.
    If Collins goes for another year there needs to be a clear out in the backroom team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The game was over at half time. Clare management got the selection of the team wrong and paid for it.
    There was questionable selection decisions made against Tipp in championship last year and it cost them as well. I called at the time for Collins's back room team to be changed up and it didn't happen.
    Collins is without question a great great manager, the spirit that was shown in the second half was inspiring, but the game was over at half time and moral victories aren't worth a curse to anyone.
    If Collins goes for another year there needs to be a clear out in the backroom team.

Nice to see your continued negativity, Christ almighty

Nice to see your continued negativity, Christ almighty

I'm giving an honest assessment, I'm sick to the teeth of clare football teams being patted on the head for spirited defeats against superior teams, we are either realistic about taking the next step which is winning a game like today or else we are happy about getting praised for being great lads for putting it up to the likes of Mayo and I felt there was a few questionable decisions in the starting team.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭KIB4Life

Akrasia wrote: »
    They did us proud in the end, nothing but pure commitment to the last kick of the ball. What cost us was our inability to secure our own kickout. It’s such an important part of the game, the few times Mayo lost their kickout, we made them pay the price

Thought the referee was decent too, there could have been black cards for both teams but he was consistent

I thought we should have had a penalty there when Gavin Cooney was fouled going through on goal it was a clear goal scoring opportunity according to the new rule it definitely should have been a penalty. But other then can’t complain too much with the refereeing performance.

A lot to be positive from the Clare footballers today, even though the result didn’t go our way, it was still a very good performance for long parts. Mayo are a top quality side probably in the top 2 or 3 in the country really at the moment and we caused them a lot problems particularly in the second half.

We probably are having issues with the keeper and kick outs at times which caused the first goal, but I think when we made the few changes and positional changes things started to go well for us. We have a lot of top quality players, outside of the likes of Eoin Cleary and David Tubridy who was magnificent with some brilliant scores. Who both rightly get recognition they deserve in the media, but they are not the only very good players that Clare have.

The likes of Ciaran Russell was outstanding back playing in the defence and took the game to Mayo at times with his ball carrier coming out of defence. Cillian Brennan is as solid a full back as you would find in the country always sticky and comfortable on the ball. Cian O’Dea is as clever and a tenacious player, who always gives his all. Sean Collins who I thought was very good today reads the game well and protects the defence around the d. Things didn’t go right for Daniel Walsh today but he will be back and have better days in the county jersey.

Darren O’Neill deserves special praise he singled handled brought us back into the game, I thought he was good in the first half, but moving closer to goals and driven forward brought us back in the game and really stood up to Aidan O’Shea and wasn’t afraid to get into his face. Should have got a second goal as his second palmed effort was clearly over the line, but he didn’t stand still and seconds later was on hand to catch over O’Shea head and set up Cooney for the goal.

O’Connor and Bohannon are two very hard working players who are well capable of kicking points. Pearse Lillis is another extremely hard working physical player. While Gavin Cooney inside has had a very good league shows well for the ball and always usually takes the right option. Also the impact of the bench today and during the league is something that has helped in years gone by we might have had a better starting 15 at times, but not a better panel or impact off the bench. Emmet McMahon showed maturity today beyond his years with three magnificent points off his left boot.

Aaron Griffin is another very promising player who has a good eye for goal. Podge added energy when he come and was buzzing around the place and he will be pushing close as well as some other subs for a starting spot the next day. I also think Conor Jordan shored up the back line as well as Tommy Conroy wasn’t as influential when he came on. All in all you can’t be too critical as Colm and the players themselves will more disappointed then anyone. They will also know that the 10 or 15 minute performance before half time was the losing of the game as outside of that period we every bit as good as Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

Rosita wrote: »
    Sorry, can't quite make it out but is Eoghan Collins's Club Ballyhaunis, as in Mayo? Can't be too often a player from a Mayo club has played against the county.

Think Mayo man Alan Costello played for Sligo v Mayo in 2010 . Sligo won that day.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    A lot to be positive from the Clare footballers today, even though the result didn’t go our way, it was still a very good performance for long parts. Mayo are a top quality side probably in the top 2 or 3 in the country really at the moment and we caused them a lot problems particularly in the second half.

We probably are having issues with the keeper and kick outs at times which caused the first goal, but I think when we made the few changes and positional changes things started to go well for us. We have a lot of top quality players, outside of the likes of Eoin Cleary and David Tubridy who was magnificent with some brilliant scores. Who both rightly get recognition they deserve in the media, but they are not the only very good players that Clare have.

The likes of Ciaran Russell was outstanding back playing in the defence and took the game to Mayo at times with his ball carrier coming out of defence. Cillian Brennan is as solid a full back as you would find in the country always sticky and comfortable on the ball. Cian O’Dea is as clever and a tenacious player, who always gives his all. Sean Collins who I thought was very good today reads the game well and protects the defence around the d. Things didn’t go right for Daniel Walsh today but he will be back and have better days in the county jersey.

Darren O’Neill deserves special praise he singled handled brought us back into the game, I thought he was good in the first half, but moving closer to goals and driven forward brought us back in the game and really stood up to Aidan O’Shea and wasn’t afraid to get into his face. Should have got a second goal as his second palmed effort was clearly over the line, but he didn’t stand still and seconds later was on hand to catch over O’Shea head and set up Cooney for the goal.

O’Connor and Bohannon are two very hard working players who are well capable of kicking points. Pearse Lillis is another extremely hard working physical player. While Gavin Cooney inside has had a very good league shows well for the ball and always usually takes the right option. Also the impact of the bench today and during the league is something that has helped in years gone by we might have had a better starting 15 at times, but not a better panel or impact off the bench. Emmet McMahon showed maturity today beyond his years with three magnificent points off his left boot.

Aaron Griffin is another very promising player who has a good eye for goal. Podge added energy when he come and was buzzing around the place and he will be pushing close as well as some other subs for a starting spot the next day. I also think Conor Jordan shored up the back line as well as Tommy Conroy wasn’t as influential when he came on. All in all you can’t be too critical as Colm and the players themselves will more disappointed then anyone. They will also know that the 10 or 15 minute performance before half time was the losing of the game as outside of that period we every bit as good as Mayo.

Spot on with everything you said there, they give every last drop and some really talented players in the group, I would single out pearse lillis for special mention he doesn't get the headlines but the work he puts in is savage, he is a wingforward who chip's in with scores but is a vital part of the half back line as well, he has an engine and a half
    I was disappointed with the first half showing but you couldn't question the character of any of these players

I thought we should have had a penalty there when Gavin Cooney was fouled going through on goal it was a clear goal scoring opportunity according to the new rule it definitely should have been a penalty. But other then can’t complain too much with the refereeing performance.

Mayo lad was on yellow and probably should have got the line too.

Poor first half today. Stephen Ryan had a nightmare first half with restarts, kicked everything in Aidan O'Shea. O'Shea got away with nasty knee in O'Neill back and got him with elbow on next tackle. Clare gave Mayo far too much respect in first half. Russell and Brennan were too far off their men. Mayo were always going to drop off the intensity but Clare gave a brilliant second half performance and with a bit more belief could have snatched the game. Have to say Cian O'Dea was brilliant. Emmett McMahon has a big future in Clare jersey, had heard good things about him playing for Kildysart.

When Gary Brennan and Gordon Kelly retired and Aaron Fitzgerald went to hurlers I thought Clare would struggle this year. McMahon, Aaron Griffin, Darragh Bohannon and Daniel Walsh along with re-emergence of Darren O'Neill have now improved the team. Would like to see Morrissey from Quilty and young Rouine get more game time. Jamie Malone and Keelan Sexton(is he injured) are other players to come back. I heard Dean Ryan left the panel.

So what changes would you have made to team? Last year preparations were effected by covid as it was for everyone else.

Collins has made changes to backroom team over the years. Gerry McGowan replaced Brian Carson as trainer. Paudie Kissane, Elphie Fitzgerald, Mick Bohan and Alan Flynn had stints in backroom team over the years.

Gael85 wrote: »
    So what changes would you have made to team? Last year preparations were effected by covid as it was for everyone else.

Collins has made changes to backroom team over the years. Gerry McGowan replaced Brian Carson as trainer. Paudie Kissane, Elphie Fitzgerald, Mick Bohan and Alan Flynn had stints in backroom team over the years.

No issue with the coaches he has brought in. O keefe, downes, Coughlan are there along time, could do with freshening up. Thought goalkeeper was chopped and changed too much last year, today I thought there was a couple of selections in defence that were questionable.
    As I said previously have no issue with any player they give their last drop and that second half effort would fill you with pride.
    But instead of cheerleading for giving a good account, I think it's no harm to question what could have been done differently to get over the line and this is coming from a massive fan of Collins's for what he has done for the Clare Football Team

• Advertisement

No issue with the coaches he has brought in. O keefe, downes, Coughlan are there along time, could do with freshening up. Thought goalkeeper was chopped and changed too much last year, today I thought there was a couple of selections in defence that were questionable.
    As I said previously have no issue with any player they give their last drop and that second half effort would fill you with pride.
    But instead of cheerleading for giving a good account, I think it's no harm to question what could have been done differently to get over the line and this is coming from a massive fan of Collins's for what he has done for the Clare Football Team

There might have been questionable decisions made in terms of selection last year against Tipp, like playing Ciaran Russell out of position but today I don’t think there was too much questionable decisions about the team selection. Maybe we are struggling with goalkeeper. But I don’t seem what other questionable decisions in terms of defence. Brennan and Russell are starters and played well today. Maybe Eoghan Collins, but Conor Jordan who I was impressed with is only back from injury. Cian O’Dea and Sean Collins were very good and Daniel Walsh had a bad day at the office, but based on his form in the league and in the club championship he has been the form player in the county. So tell me which player in the defence of what other player that started was questionable.

It’s easy to say it at times after the event when a player had played bad. But everyone that started today had earned their place as a result of their performances over the three previous weeks. The biggest issue is our kick outs and if we can sort them out, as improved in that area in the second half, I would be a help as we struggling to win ball and there seemed to be know variation to kick outs in the first half, just lump most of them out towards the stand side of the field and hope that Darren O’Neill wins them even though a lot of the kick outs suited O’Shea as there was a lot of hang time any them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think this a small bit harsh , but look if you break todays game into 4 quarters well we probably won 3 of them , the problem is mayo played there best football all year in the 2nd quarter and devoured us , kerry did the same yesterday to tyrone hit them hard in a 10 or 15 minute period

that was a fantastic effort in the 2nd half , everything clare gaa has become since the early 90s , the attitude change that ger loughnane brought to the hurlers in the 90s is all over todays performance

as he said himself , if you are 15 points down at half time work hard over the next ten minutes to bring it back to 10 , then work even harder to bring it back to 5 , and then see what happens , that is exactly what the lads done today and you can guarentee its excatly what we will do next saturday night in kilarney regardless the form of david clifford and co.

i could not have any complaints of effort , yeah i would seriously qustion the selection process heavly but not the set up , we will do seriosuly well to hang on to rob mulcahey after today too he probably is the best conditioning coach in the country we are one of the best conditioned sides in the country mayo dublin and kerry included

So what players would you have brought in?? Mayo are ahead of Clare in terms of strength and conditioning. The footballers resources are lot less than hurling counterparts. If CC had likes of Aaron Fitz, Cathal Malone, Tony Kelly, Shane Meehan, Aidan McCarthy, Cathal Mc and Conor Cleary(all superb footballers) all available together they would be better again. Difficult for dual counties in successful in both fields at same time. Tipp starting struggle at football after a few decent years at football.

if i am to state a reality check for the footballers next year is , division 2 will be much harder

the new additions are

offaly : bernard allen is probably one of the best corner forwards in the country and thrown in the likes of anton sullivan and peter cunningham and they are every bit as good as us

derry : looked flying fit in one or two group games in the league , looked like a division 1 team in their win over fermanagh and could well be promoation contenders again next year

Galway : home and hosed playing the better football all day today only to be sucker punched by a late jack mcarron goal , and point again later in extra time , division 1 team all day

Roscommon : bar that day in pearse stadium in 2016 we havent came close to beating them since , they have the best 6 forward combonation in the division ,

throw in an improving cork team that just beat us in the park , a meath team with the indian sign over us and a down team smarting from recent defeats to us , to reach the magic number of 8 points wont be easy

Gael85 wrote: »
    So what players would you have brought in?? Mayo are ahead of Clare in terms of strength and conditioning. The footballers resources are lot less than hurling counterparts. If CC had likes of Aaron Fitz, Cathal Malone, Tony Kelly, Shane Meehan, Cathal Mc and Conor Cleary(all superb footballers) all available together they would be better again. Difficult for dual counties in successful in both fields at same time. Tipp starting struggle at football after a few decent years at football.

I don’t really see what’s the point talking about lads in the hurling panel. We have football only men just as good as them. The only two lads in the Hurling that if they were in the football panel that would start for me would be Aidan McCarthy and Conor Cleary. Tony Kelly can blow hot and cold on the field whenever I have seen him. Cathal Malone is fit and strong would be a decent club footballer but don’t think he is inter county football standard.

I know Aaron Fitzgerald was starting before and had great strength and physicality but was a bang average footballer in terms of whenever he got the ball looked limited. Cathal McInerney hasn’t really pace and can be great one one day bad the next, Darren Hickey in my club has limited him and got the better of him in recent meeting whenever we have played them and Shane Meehan I don’t would have the physicality yet for inter county football.

We should focus on the lads we have and we have a very good team, with a lot of exceptionally talented players. The biggest thing that Colm Collins has done is that the majority of the best footballers and the best football only players are committing to the county which has not always been the case and he has give people a reason to commit and makes people want to play for the county as they are aspiring to achieve success and compete, which cannot be underemistimated.

if i am to state a reality check for the footballers next year is , division 2 will be much harder

the new additions are

offaly : bernard allen is probably one of the best corner forwards in the country and thrown in the likes of anton sullivan and peter cunningham and they are every bit as good as us

derry : looked flying fit in one or two group games in the league , looked like a division 1 team in their win over fermanagh and could well be promoation contenders again next year

Galway : home and hosed playing the better football all day today only to be sucker punched by a late jack mcarron goal , and point again later in extra time , division 1 team all day

Roscommon : bar that day in pearse stadium in 2016 we havent came close to beating them since , they have the best 6 forward combonation in the division ,

throw in an improving cork team that just beat us in the park , a meath team with the indian sign over us and a down team smarting from recent defeats to us , to reach the magic number of 8 points wont be easy

None of them teams strike fear of should strike fear in us. We competed with one of the best teams in the county and came back from 11 points to make a game of it. Would any of them other counties have done the same don’t think.

Division 2 is always hard and nothing separates a lot of teams but we should be aiming to get promoted. As Offaly look to be going well but were close to getting relegated for the two previous years before this and haven’t really beat anyone major.

Derry look to be improving alright but it could all depend on whether we meet them at home or away.

Meath were well outclassed by Kildare today and the last time we played Meath we probably should have beaten them, have good defence but I don’t think they have as threatening forwards as other counties.

Roscommon seem to be not as good, I know they were in a tough group, but they were well beat by an Armagh side that they have beaten in recent years.

Cork I don’t think they are that great they could have very easily been in Division 3 as Westmeath were winning for a lot of that game yesterday.

Down fairly defensive, there only really a name to be honest haven’t done much in recent years, Mayo hammered them earlier in the league and so did Meath, so would suggest that they aren’t exactly world beaters.

Galway blow hot and cold. Have struggled since the covid break and coming back from not the same team.

I would be more optimistic then you about next years League as for me this is the most consistent we have been under Colm Collins we have put four fairly consistent performances together on the bounce. I feel we are on the up and should be pushing to get promoted not to just be content with staying in Division 2.

I don’t really see what’s the point talking about lads in the hurling panel. We have football only men just as good as them. The only two lads in the Hurling that if they were in the football panel that would start for me would be Aidan McCarthy and Conor Cleary. Tony Kelly can blow hot and cold on the field whenever I have seen him. Cathal Malone is fit and strong would be a decent club footballer but don’t think he is inter county football standard.

underemistimated.

you dont honestly think a midfield of conor cleary and cathal malone would be worse then daragh bohannan and darren o'niell

no offence to either of todays starters but that change alone in clare football could have been the diffrence today ,

you dont honestly think a midfield of conor cleary and cathal malone would be worse then daragh bohannan and darren o'niell

no offence to either of todays starters but that change alone in clare football could have been the diffrence today ,

The best midfielder in the county is Darragh McDonagh and probably has been for the last 3 to 4 years. But him working away in England has meant that he couldn’t commit to the panel, if he was home for good he would be a serious option can also go play inside at full forward. Yank O’Donoghue is another if he was still around but you have to make do with the lads that you have at your disposal.

In fairness to O’Neill proved a handful for Mayo inside in the second half, people were raving about Gary Brennan when he caught two balls to set up two goals against Kildare in the league final in 16, yet Darren O’Neill does something similar and doesn’t get much praise today.

The best midfielder in the county is Darragh McDonagh and probably has been for the last 3 to 4 years. But him working away in England has meant that he couldn’t commit to the panel, if he was home for good he would be a serious option can also go play inside at full forward. Yank O’Donoghue is another if he was still around but you have to make do with the lads that you have at your disposal.

In fairness to O’Neill proved a handful for Mayo inside in the second half, people were raving about Gary Brennan when he caught two balls to set up two goals against Kildare in the league final in 16, yet Darren O’Neill does something similar and doesn’t get much praise today.

oneill is and in my opinion should be full forward next week , and let cooney or joe mcgan work off him , emmett mcmahon and cathal o'connor are our best midfielders , young bohannon offers great phsyicalty to that area but little else he is learning though and has come on leaps this year

• Advertisement

Yank is back with Cooraclare though would be too late to bring back to intercounty set up for this year.

Advertisement