Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexpected views of Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Turning right off Blackhorse Ave onto the North Circular and you get this amazing tree-lined view of the Wellington Monument in the park, or even just follow the NCR westwards, when you round that final bend onto the last straight bit of road up to the park, it's surprising and gorgeous.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ive always wondered about that view of the Wellington monument on NCR and if it came about by accident or by the design of some Georgian planner. Either way its a superb view

Reminds me of an understated, more natural Manhattenhenge

13MANHATTANHENGE-facebookJumbo.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattanhenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Prussia Street at the start of Manor Street looking down towards Smithfield. There's a very big view that you wouldn't really expect at all.

Also some unusual views from the carpark of the Museum at Collins Barracks.

Might not technically be Dublin but the fact you can see Wales from Wicklow Mountains is always one I've found fascinating.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgjY7cXILjTvfZJtg8Vxf79Z4uqzLXkbAGLbVQMou-hGBH4SeQ

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The 7th floor of the Mater Hospital has a glass walkway connecting the old and new(ish) phases, with brilliant views over the city. You can see pretty much everything as far as the Dublin Mountains.

The fact that it's situated where people really need a pick-me-up makes it even better.

thanks for that, I've an appointment on the 4th floor there in a few weeks but most definitely will be taking the lift up to the 7th floor for a gander
    Also some unusual views from the carpark of the Museum at Collins Barracks.

Come to think it of now when you're standing in the Royal Hospital Kilmainham and looking due north there is an expansive view of the Phoenix Park opposite. You cant see all of it but it gives a very good idea of the sheer length of the park from Parkgate St all the way to Castleknock

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Reminds me of older Finglas and Dunsink Tip.
    You could walk up into the dump and because of its elevation, you had views across the whole city.

This was back in the early nineties so no camera or anything to capture it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was out South County Dublin this afternoon going to visit a friend and got a bit lost. As I drove along a road somewhere near Leopardstown, ahead was a glorious view across the city and out towards Howth.

Problem is I'm not actually sure where it was, but there were not many houses that I could see taking advantage of the view, mostly roads and intersections.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

spurious wrote: »
    Was out South County Dublin this afternoon going to visit a friend and got a bit lost. As I drove along a road somewhere near Leopardstown, ahead was a glorious view across the city and out towards Howth.

Problem is I'm not actually sure where it was, but there were not many houses that I could see taking advantage of the view, mostly roads and intersections.

could be coming down Newtownpark Avenue from Whites cross...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

could be coming down Newtownpark Avenue from Whites cross...

That's certainly in the right area and in the direction I was headed. I remember seeing what looked like high rise office buildings off to the left and thinking they must have a glorious view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The views from the higher floors in the Dun Laoghaire library are similarly lovely, looking out across Howth.

The best part is that you don't have that poxy library spoiling your view

• Registered Users Posts: 27,956 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cienciano wrote: »
    The best part is that you don't have that poxy library spoiling your view

Yeah bizarre structure for a Victorian town.
    Should be down at Dublin port.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yeah bizarre structure for a Victorian town.
    Should be down at Dublin port.

I quite like the library - should we only build Victorian pastiche buildings in DL?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,956 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

loyatemu wrote: »
    I quite like the library - should we only build Victorian pastiche buildings in DL?

Depends on where in DL.
    Along a stretch of seafront of Victorian buildings, I think we should stay in same style, or 'hunker' down. It looks totally out of place specifically where it is sited.

If it was at DL port, or Dublin port, I think its nautical look fits in better.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This is from Dunsink. Pretty unobstructed all the way to Poolbeg. Wonder if it's recent and if it's still visible.

4870924873_da8ac07de7_m.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Omackeral wrote: »
    This is from Dunsink. Pretty unobstructed all the way to Poolbeg. Wonder if it's recent and if it's still visible.

4870924873_da8ac07de7_m.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73245893@N00/4870924873

2010 - think you'd see a lot of cranes now - and possibly Capital Dock also depending on the exact location

Advertisement