Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

"In particular, while Munster will be strengthened by the arrival of World Cup winners Damian de Allende and RG Snyman, in order to avoid a semi-final against Leinster for the third season in a row, Johann van Graan’s team will now have only two games to overtake Edinburgh, who are two points ahead of them in Conference B."

Surely the new Saffers wouldn't be allowed to play in this season's Pro14?

In fairness players have left clubs it would be unfair to clubs that have lost a lot of players.

Players leave and join clubs typically on 1st July. There's no other way of doing it. If clubs are weaker, tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness players have left clubs it would be unfair to clubs that have lost a lot of players.

Yeah - I saw that McKinley and other Benetton players are allowed to finish off the season. Seems a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

From a Munster POV we are looking for a favour from Glasgow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's also a chance for clubs to reintroduce players who've been injured and would not have been available during the regular season. I'm really looking forward to see Leavy and Conan back at Leinster. Neither have played this season.

Clegg wrote: »
    It's also a chance for clubs to reintroduce players who've been injured and would not have been available during the regular season. I'm really looking forward to see Leavy and Conan back at Leinster. Neither have played this season.

Good point. Gareth Milasinovich missed the whole season for Ulster, having injured himself in pre-season. And Sam Carter manged 320 minutes for us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Clegg wrote: »

Joey Carbery comes to mind, he's only started 1 game this season.

Yeah - I saw that McKinley and other Benetton players are allowed to finish off the season. Seems a bit all over the place.

I wonder is there a contractual difference somewhere, finish on a given date v end of a particular season.

I wonder is there a contractual difference somewhere, finish on a given date v end of a particular season.

Could be. Although I think those players are being let go, not signing elsewhere?

Hopefully this means we still have the mighty Clive Ross to lay down the law.

• Advertisement

Could be. Although I think those players are being let go, not signing elsewhere?

Hopefully this means we still have the mighty Clive Ross to lay down the law.

I was more thinking how the Italians write contracts than how say the irfu do. Yeah they are being let go so their contracts might be until the end of the 19/20 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

"In particular, while Munster will be strengthened by the arrival of World Cup winners Damian de Allende and RG Snyman, in order to avoid a semi-final against Leinster for the third season in a row, Johann van Graan’s team will now have only two games to overtake Edinburgh, who are two points ahead of them in Conference B."

Surely the new Saffers wouldn't be allowed to play in this season's Pro14?

Whether its fair or not, it would be utter madness for the Pro 14 to not want those guys playing. Its good for the league

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I was more thinking how the Italians write contracts than how say the irfu do. Yeah they are being let go so their contracts might be until the end of the 19/20 season.

Contracts have dates on them. Usually July 1st until June 30th. When the season finishes has no bearing on the end date. The provinces have released players who are out of contract on June 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Assuming the 24 team CC is 6 pools of 4, and the Lions tour going ahead as it stands means everything has to be finished in Pro14 and GP by june 15th or so.

How are they going to get so many fixtures into 8 months. Pro14 will be playing on pretty much every international weekend. Can't see Leinster being too keen to lose any more players now.

AdamD wrote: »
    Whether its fair or not, it would be utter madness for the Pro 14 to not want those guys playing. Its good for the league

It's not just Munster who can play their new signings. Connacht for example can play Conor Oliver and Sammy Arnold. Every Pro14 club will have released players and signed new ones. It's not possible to contunue with the same squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Dragons to qualify for the Champions Cup having won 5 out of their 13 games

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Assuming the 24 team CC is 6 pools of 4, and the Lions tour going ahead as it stands means everything has to be finished in Pro14 and GP by june 15th or so.

How are they going to get so many fixtures into 8 months. Pro14 will be playing on pretty much every international weekend. Can't see Leinster being too keen to lose any more players now.

The 2020/21 season is due to start one week later than the current season and by your reckoning will finish a week earlier than this one was due to. There were two periods of three weeks between games and one period of four weeks between games during the world cup and the 6N. That's 7 free weekends. It will be very easy to make up the two weeks.

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Dragons to qualify for the Champions Cup having won 5 out of their 13 games

I saw that said on twitter. That would mean that the 24 team CC is definitely happening and 8 teams are qualifying.

The 2020/21 season is due to start one week later than the current season and by your reckoning will finish a week earlier than this one was due to. There were two periods of three weeks between games and one period of four weeks between games during the world cup and the 6N. That's 7 free weekends. It will be very easy to make up the two weeks.

6n still to be completed
    CC still to be completed.

There was no AIs last year.

Some Players could end up playing from Mid August to Mid August if they go on Lions tour.

It's not just Munster who can play their new signings. Connacht for example can play Conor Oliver and Sammy Arnold. Every Pro14 club will have released players and signed new ones. It's not possible to contunue with the same squads.

I know - I was just quoting the article. But it just shows how arbitrary it is continuing the season.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

6n still to be completed

Some Players could end up playing from Mid August to Mid August if they go on Lions tour.

I'd say the Pro14 is going to be a bit of a mess next season and you'll see international players even less than usual, and a lot more selections that look like A teams.

6n still to be completed

There were no AIs, but there was a world cup, which was the reason for one of the three week breaks. There'll be no AIs this year either, or a world cup, so the space will still be there to finish the 6N.

awec wrote: »
    I'd say the Pro14 is going to be a bit of a mess next season and you'll see international players even less than usual, and a lot more selections that look like A teams.

Yeah especially if the 2020 6n is completed followed by AIs of some description. Two months without internationals playing much as they will have a week off before and a week off after. Either side of that international window is the first 4 rounds of CC

The 24 team champions cup, assuming its the old 6 pool of 4 scenario, would need to be completed before the 2021 6n starts (cant see last 2 rounds taking place after the 6n) which means the pro14 will be sidelined from the very start.

If social distancing in pubs is 1m then the provinces need to be looking at having crowds upto one third capacity at least at games to bring money in

Seems to be 8 pools of 3, only way then is

England v France one week (pro14 can then play)

England v pro14 (Top 14 can play)

France v pro14 ( GP can play).

TV, scheduling etc is going to be messy although some common sense on the player welfare front by reducing the number of games a little bit.

8*3 sounds absolutely awful but we live in strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

8*3 sounds absolutely awful but we live in strange times.

Personally in the future I'd reduce the competition to 18 teams (6 from each league), have 3 groups of 6, play everyone once, top two, plus two 3rd places sides reach the quarter finals...you'd end with some cracking pool games, and you'd reduce the season by one week which might help facilitate a world club championship, or give the players more of a break.

How do the fixtures work out for the provinces in Wk2 of the restart...

It's Leinster v Munster and Ulster v Connacht on Aug 22nd, who plays who the following week?

bilston wrote: »
    How do the fixtures work out for the provinces in Wk2 of the restart...

It's Leinster v Munster and Ulster v Connacht on Aug 22nd, who plays who the following week?

Ulster v Leinster
    Munster v connacht

bilston wrote: »
    Personally in the future I'd reduce the competition to 18 teams (6 from each league), have 3 groups of 6, play everyone once, top two, plus two 3rd places sides reach the quarter finals...you'd end with some cracking pool games, and you'd reduce the season by one week which might help facilitate a world club championship, or give the players more of a break.

An uneven amount of pool games means an uneven amount of homes matches. Good luck squaring that!

• Advertisement

An uneven amount of pool games means an uneven amount of homes matches. Good luck squaring that!

I'm happy squaring it with the Six Nations argument!

Advertisement