Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philomena Lynott RIP

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Earthstar

RikkFlair wrote: »
    On RTE news today they said that she herself pronounced it Lie nott
    it depends which part of Dublin you come from.
    Those on the north side, who grew up with Philip in his teens and hung out with him at Orphage bass player Pat Quigley's childhood house at 10 Synott Place Dublin 7 since he was around 15 yrs old. THe house at 10 Synott Place was also where Phil rehearsed with Orphanage Band, Skid Row, and Thin Lizzy, all his friends there pronounced his name Lin-net.
    The same way as Synott Place is pronounced Sin-net Place.
    But those on posh areas of Dublin, and Phyllis herself pronounced it "Line-it".
    It doesn't really matter how you pronounce it. Just like saying Castle, as Car-sle. It just depends where you grew up how you say it. But yes Phyllis herself pronounced her name "Line-it"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

People handle grief differently. Maybe living her life though Phil's legacy was what kept her going. Never having met the woman or knowing much about her or her family, I wouldn't like to say whether she was lovely or a right rip. Things aren't always how they seem.

I know I am way late coming to this thread!

She used to be visiting Phil's grave everyday, and clearly never got over her son's death. Used to see her in the distance as I have a relative buried in same area. Remember her in the distance as a child - always had a smile and acknowledgement for people, it seemed to me.

Used to invite fans into her house to see Phil Lynott memorabilia.
    How many people would do that type of thing?

As for her being a cruel person not acknowledging other sons. Maybe she felt a bit of shame/guilt? She was a very independent woman who even refused to marry Phil's father when he asked her - because she said it would not work!

Yet she got Phil to dedicate a book of his poetry to his father instead of her. Because she said he was not a bad person and she wanted to say thank you to Phil's father.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just when I forgot she ever existed...

Just when I forgot she ever existed...

Lovely sentiment there. I hope it stays fine for you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I know I am way late coming to this thread!

She used to be visiting Phil's grave everyday, and clearly never got over her son's death. Used to see her in the distance as I have a relative buried in same area. Remember her in the distance as a child - always had a smile and acknowledgement for people, it seemed to me.

Used to invite fans into her house to see Phil Lynott memorabilia.
    How many people would do that type of thing?

As for her being a cruel person not acknowledging other sons. Maybe she felt a bit of shame/guilt? She was a very independent woman who even refused to marry Phil's father when he asked her - because she said it would not work!

Yet she got Phil to dedicate a book of his poetry to his father instead of her. Because she said he was not a bad person and she wanted to say thank you to Phil's father.

The short answer to that question is no one.

One brave lady. A total legend.

• Advertisement

This interview was of Philomena Lynott on May 2017 - with Miriam O'Callaghan

This thread is appropriate I think

Advertisement