Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs : Legion (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Playable if you live in New Zealand like I do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's open on PC currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I wanna tase old grannies

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    tenor.gif

Tase, not taste! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Signed up for a month of Ubi + so will give it a go. Didn't fancy dropping 60 quid on it for Xbox. Will tide me over until Series X and Assassins Creed.

Is uplay+ On PS4? How does it work I’ve never heard of it does it stream games also? Or do you need to DL them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is uplay+ On PS4? How does it work I’ve never heard of it does it stream games also? Or do you need to DL them

Just PC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

PC only
    https://store.ubi.com/eu/uplayplus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Will be on Amazon Luna (currently US only) on Nov 10th and Stadia "by the end of the year".

1 sub will cover all platforms :)

No consoles yet though :(

I really like Austin Walker’s review of the game, which captures how I feel about almost all AAA games these days (especially the Ubisoft ones). Just a sharp, thoughtful piece of game criticism that pokes at the limits of this type of design while giving the game a fair shake on its own terms. https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkdy5y/watch-dogs-legion-review

Even Clint Hocking gave it a nod of respect :pac:

https://twitter.com/clicknothing/status/1321479000213082113?s=21

Just giving it a read his review is banging on about real world events in 2020 in a silly si fi hacking game it’s a bit pretentious jaysus talking about how liberating an area in WD3 would not go down like that in real life like yeah no **** LOL

Read that article and assumed he wants the game to stop midway tru and you run for local concillor and then go gather votes to be a TD or whatever then President then pass a bill outlawing all the surveillance and then the area rejoices in fireworks because they truly have been saved

Me: I can tase grannies??? hur hur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,312 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the point of those parts of the article are talking about how it's a split and disconnect in terms of story and gameplay; it makes you carry out menial tasks and behaves like you've liberated the region from a dictator. How the game is more political than their previous games (where Ubisoft have usually tried to claim their games aren't political) but ends up not doing anything interesting or purposeful with it.

It's not something that makes or breaks the game, but it's an interesting discussion to have imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just wondering for those who got the Gold Edition where you have to put the code into ubisoft redeem are they meant to be in the game or are you meant to get an e-mail

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that it's fair enough to have complaints about a game if it doesn't properly explore one of the concepts that makes up a large part of the story, particularly if the gameplay side of it doesn't meaningfully move on either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, no review or article will stop people who want to play this game as an open world playground - that game is clearly there (although sounds fairly repetitive going by the reviews I’ve read).

When these games clearly wade into social and political spaces, it’s a worthwhile exercise looking at how / if they succeed in that regard from different perspectives - and heck the review I linked is actually very concerned with the mechanics and gameplay design instead of just being a discussion about its politics anyway.

Games like this have the potential to be more than ‘tasing grannies’ simulators, and their designers clearly want them to be more than that. So very worthwhile IMO to read perspectives that take that into account. It’s doing games like this a disservice IMO to treat them as mere time-wasters devoid of any sort of context or storytelling or perspective.

Anyway, hope anyone who picks up the game enjoys it from whatever angle they’re coming from. I’m fascinated by Clint Hocking’s work so will give this a look at some stage... but also I’m not a fan of recent Ubisoft open world games at all so for now will be just enjoying the critical discussion around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I had high hopes for this, but ... been watching streams of it for a couple hours and it feels ... empty, lifeless, the AI is atrocious; One guy pushed a motorcyclist off their bike, the biker just casually walked away as he stole the bike, other cars he stole didn't even have a driver! in general random AI don't seem to interact with your character at all. I found the voice acting irritating all-round too. I haven't read any 'reviews' wanted to see it in action for myself. I'll watch some more, but unless it takes ages to really get going, I don't think it's for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My biggest issues start with the layout of missions. It has taken a good 8 hours to get into the game (which I now do like). The opening few hours should keep missions located closer together. Use that time to bring you through using the hacking tech, the upgrades and the recruitment process before opening up the city, as you waste so much time driving around.

Misions are often 2 or 3 km apart. Even side quests send you off around the map. Driving in traffic in the rain isn't fun, so you fast travel. Fast travel has load times of sometimes 70 or 80 seconds. So neither option is fun.

With all the different characters you can choose, it is hard to care about any if them. Some you will hate as they are so annoying. The accents go through me.

It should also be harder to recruit. Recruiting basically goes like this. Find a person, get a side quest from them, complete it, and they join Dedsec.

Remember Dedsec are supposed to be a "terrorist organization" That has just blown up London. You have a heavy handed military police presence too. People should need a bit more convincing than just having some emails deleted before joining.

The way missions "should be done" (although you are free to do it any way you choose) is you survey the building. Figure out who wouldn't look out of place. Paramedic in a hospital, construction workers in a building site etc.

You go recruit them, then you use your hacker skills to hack cameras, open doors, get key cards, use spider bots to sneak in. Go all stealth....but you always end up getting spotted and then just kill everyone and walk in.

Then you start to not bother even recruiting the right person, you just use the one with the least annoying accent and murder everyone.

I get the feeling there is a really deep game mechanic here but not sure I have the patience to play it the right/long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Couple hours in and it I'm not sure what to make of it. Definitely not grabbing me like WD2 did, which is one of my favourite games of the gen.

The whole play as anyone concept is much cooler on paper than it is in practice. I appreciate the diversity in abilities and skill sets, but it gives the whole thing a very unnatural feeling. Dialogue feels off and really generic, and the recruitment missions/the ease with which people join your cause feels comical. I get that the process of recruitment needs to be streamlined due to the nature of being able to play as anyone, but it just feels downright illogical and saps all sense of immersion and believability from the world.

IMO a much better approach would have been to create a dozen or so handcrafted playable characters, as well as a dedicated main protagonist. Have each of the side characters be optional team members you can recruit via bespoke side missions that are actually fleshed out.

I'm sure some people will love this gimmick, but for me at least, now the novelty has worn off it's clear the rest of the game is going to suffer greatly as a result of them going all in on this concept.

If you had to work to recruit them then it would have some pay off. If you spent time with then getting to know them etc. But I have 5 or 6 on my team and I couldn't tell you one of their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

If you had to work to recruit them then it would have some pay off. If you spent time with then getting to know them etc. But I have 5 or 6 on my team and I couldn't tell you one of their names.

Completely agree, there's just no attachment there with any characters which was my main concern from the moment this system was revealed.

I've also just had a really odd moment where I completed a mission as one character which resulted in me getting a new recruit, after which I then immediately swapped to the new recruit. The DedSec AI then spoke to me over comms, with the dialogue playing out as though my new recruit was the one who had completed the mission, congratulating her on a great performance and for making it out alive etc. This new character then carried the conversation on as though this was all correct, as if she was the one who had just been through this near death experience!

I mean I have to give them props for getting the system working as well as it does as I envisioned it being a total train wreck, but when the cracks begin to show as they did with that little exchange, it doesn't half pull me out of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sounds like it would have played better if you were a shape shifting android who could take on the appearance of others for specific reasons... Ye're not selling it to me!

• Advertisement

Have had 5 or 6 CTDs in around 6 hours, something I haven't experienced in years.

It's a bit of a mess in terms of bugs as well. Cars drooping through the road, same with people. A couple of cars I've hijacked, didn't even have anyone driving....

Have had 5 or 6 CTDs in around 6 hours, something I haven't experienced in years.

It's a bit of a mess in terms of bugs as well. Cars drooping through the road, same with people. A couple of cars I've hijacked, didn't even have anyone driving....

Have yet to experience more than 10 minutes without CTD so leaving it for now.

They are autonomous vehicles so there isn't supposed to be a driver.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Completely agree, there's just no attachment there with any characters which was my main concern from the moment this system was revealed.

They could have the recruit anyone system but you should spend the first 3 or 4 hours recruiting a ragtag band of hackers. Finding the right group, Getting to know them and then that's your team for the game.

It's up to you the pick who you want and that impacts the game going forward. Once you have 6 operatives that should be it.

Each one offers something different and changes the game. If you have a medic you get out of hospital faster, if you have a lawyer you get out of jail faster, if you have a weapons expert, a bomb expert, a drone pilot. Etc.

If you go for 6 brawlers then you are limited in other areas.

It would give the characters meaning and the game replay ability.

They are autonomous vehicles so there isn't supposed to be a driver.

That would make sense if there was a passenger, but there is nobody in the car.

I did say driver in my post alright.......

is this on uplay + its not in the library list on the site

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That would make sense if there was a passenger, but there is nobody in the car.

I did say driver in my post alright.......

One of the ideas behind Autonomous cars is that it can drive you in for the morning, drive home, and then repeat when you need it in the evening. It's an insane idea that'll double traffic, but I'm unsurprised that it's come up in this game.

Taxis and Ubers would also be empty between passengers.

is this on uplay + its not in the library list on the site

Yeah add it in UbiConnect (the new app)

Advertisement