Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit car, high quote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

I would be careful with cash, i had a crash many moons ago where i was at fault and they wanted cash to fix it. A day before i was going to give them the cash, they had lodged a claim with my insurance company also. If i had handed over the cash with no proof, they would have received even more.

Personally i would pay what they are asking for but would only do it via bank transfer, cheque etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RustyNut wrote: »
    Once you get a receipt why would cash be out of the question?
    Prefer to use the bank and I don't carry cash. On very small sums I have no issue but otherwise a bank transaction of some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Cordell

coylemj wrote: »
    Your cousin shouldn't be dealing with the mechanic. Does he realise that the car owner can still lodge a claim for whiplash? In which case that money your cousin paid to the mechanic is money wasted? Hand the money over to the ownerof the car, in return for a receipt 'in full and final settlement'. Anything else leaves the door open to a whiplash claim and/or a bill for more more repairs from the mechanic.

Will that even work? I doubt that there is a way as simple as a receipt that will close that door.

Your cousin shouldn't be dealing with the mechanic. Does he realise that the car owner can still lodge a claim for whiplash? In which case that money your cousin paid to the mechanic is money wasted? Hand the money over to the ownerof the car, in return for a receipt 'in full and final settlement'. Anything else leaves the door open to a whiplash claim and/or a bill for more more repairs from the mechanic.
    Given how forthright insurance companies have become in fighting personal claims it's not necessarily a guaranteed path to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

is_that_so wrote: »
    Prefer to use the bank and I don't carry cash. On very small sums I have no issue but otherwise a bank transaction of some form.

I hope you don't hit me, it would be cash or insurance.

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »
    I hope you don't hit me, it would be cash or insurance.
    Very doubtful but insurance it is so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

He's going with a friend to pay the other driver tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cordell wrote: »
    Will that even work? I doubt that there is a way as simple as a receipt that will close that door.

If there isn't then you should never deal with a claim personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Tbh if the quote seems high then I'd contact my insurer and let them sort it out with the other person. When that's done and dusted its just a matter of reimbursing the insurer and the claim is essentially stricken from the record. It's a bad idea settling / paying for damage of more than a couple of hundred quid. What's to stop yer man coming back in a month to say something else has gone wrong because of the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

emeldc wrote: »
    So how often have you let it go through the insurance when it was your fault?

Never had an at fault crash yet..But if I did and quoted came from A reputable garage what options have I pay it or leave it go through insurance as there no point in Messing them about if he want to keep your no claims bonus

• Advertisement

Tbh if the quote seems high then I'd contact my insurer and let them sort it out with the other person. When that's done and dusted its just a matter of reimbursing the insurer and the claim is essentially stricken from the record. It's a bad idea settling / paying for damage of more than a couple of hundred quid. What's to stop yer man coming back in a month to say something else has gone wrong because of the tip.
    Thanks, going to say that to him. Didn't realise you could pay the insurer back and have it effectively stricken.

Suckit wrote: »
    Thanks, going to say that to him. Didn't realise you could pay the insurer back and have it effectively stricken.

Yet but if your let it go through insurance your probably going to pay for a a rental car too .But going through insurance is probably safer bet

Did quote come from a reputable crash repair ? Or was it on more backstreet garage?

Whocare wrote: »
    Did quote come from a reputable crash repair ? Or was it on more backstreet garage?

I'm not sure, I'll ask him, but I think it was more a backstreet garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Always, always notify the Guards and your own insurance company if you have been hit. A nice gentleman of means - judging by his dress, vehicle and spoken voice - reversed into my parked car. It made a decent dent in the passenger door. It was outside a cafe, I was inside eating. When I came out he was writing his details down for me. I said to him that I would ring the local guards to see what was the right procedure and he flipped the lid. Clearly a man who bullied his way through life. Luckily I wasn't for turning.
    He wanted to pay cash, I was fine with that. When I emailed him the two quotes (€ 1600 & €1700), he had the absolute gall to say that I was trying to scam him and he'd give me €500 and that was it! If I hadn't of gone to the Guards he could have easily left me high and dry.
    I learned a very valuable lesson that day, I just went straight to his insurance then.
    On another note, I slid into a car back in the big frost of 2010, his tow bar made wreck of my bumper, his had no visible damage yet it still cost me 1200 as they had to take it off and check sensors etc. I know the guy I hit, as honest as the day is long, unfortunately Garages are complete goughers when they know its a potential insurance job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I think without some ball park on the actual € numbers involved, any advice you get here is sort of irrelevant. :rolleyes:

The price of the repairs needs to be compared to the damage on the car, also the value of the vehicle (a replacement bumper on an old banger is not the same as a replacement bumper in a swanky new machine)

Even outside of the cost of repairs..... Your couisin needs to look carefully at his insurance policy.

whats your cousins' NCB with the insurance company worth to him at present (remember NCB is a 5 year benefit) ? and does he have NCB protection, is there any excess applied to his policy etc. would a claim make it difficult for him to get quotes in the future?

*NB* Would there be any condition on his policy that he might be in trouble with ...ie. could allow the insurance company to not pay this claim.

Obviously he would be nuts to settle with the other driver if the settlement would be more than his NCB is worth.

Everybody would have a threshold over which they would go to the insurance company. Mine would be €500 which is the approximate value of my NCB in this current year..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just to be clear, if you hit my car and suggested this or the previous suggestion, I would say thank you and no, and it would be going through the insurance company. Why would I put myself to any further inconvenience... Mad suggestions

My car, my choice. You pay it however I want it and however much it is, whether I fix it or not, or it goes through insurance.

Kinda.

"my money" and I pay it how I want to, and want a tracable record of it. Prudence and the need to avoid comeback means we use a traceable record or the insurance co is thataway ---->> which, as others have pointed out, I can than pay off depending on how things go. It's called "buying the claim" btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

galwaytt wrote: »
    Kinda.

"my money" and I pay it how I want to, and want a tracable record of it. Prudence and the need to avoid comeback means we use a traceable record or the insurance co is thataway ---->> which, as others have pointed out, I can than pay off depending on how things go. It's called "buying the claim" btw.

It's your choice, of course, but having an at-fault claim made against your policy will cause your basic premium to rise at renewal, even if you pay out the amount yourself, as you will enter a different risk category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

It's your choice, of course, but having an at-fault claim made against your policy will cause your basic premium to rise at renewal, even if you pay out the amount yourself, as you will enter a different risk category.

Incorrect. If your insurer pays a claim for you and you in turn reimburse the insurer then the claim is stricken from the record, it will not appear on your NCD letter and does not need to be declared to any prospective insurers.

Incorrect. If your insurer pays a claim for you and you in turn reimburse the insurer then the claim is stricken from the record, it will not appear on your NCD letter and does not need to be declared to any prospective insurers.

I'm not sure where you got idea from. It's incorrect, anyway (although you can protect your no claims bonus). All insurers ask about recent accidents - settling the claim yourself will not absolve you from declaring them, and they will increase your basic premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

I'm not sure where you got idea from. It's incorrect, anyway (although you can protect your no claims bonus). All insurers ask about recent accidents - settling the claim yourself will not absolve you from declaring them, and they will increase your basic premium.

That can't be true, can you please provide a reference point for this?

If nobody claimed from their insurance, then premiums would be low as the risk to the insurance company would not have increased.

The algorithms they used are based on claims where they paid out of their own pocket (essentially).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Insurers ask if you have been involved in any crashes or made any claims. If you have paid off a claim you still have the crash on record and not declaring it can void your policy, all Irish insurance companies have access to the claims database.

Paying off the claim is like protecting your NCD. You are effectively stuck with the same company for 5 years. You still have a full NCD on a higher premium.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

fella reversed into me once and was decent enough to leave his number

wanted to stay off insurance, look ok, im not oit to crucify anyone

got a quote, he started wrangling.

my car was off the road the in-between times and i was being put out so it was a short conversation.

he was a decent skin but nobody is ever going to pay for work on someone elses car and not want to quibble the price but theres no two ways about it- hand in pocket and thanks for keeping that off the record pal.

Op , this. Unless you reckon they are taking the complete piss.

They are chancing they're arm with the cash. Get a quote and also get a demand for the money in writing so he can't fleece you down the line.

Good luck

Tomw86 wrote: »
    That can't be true, can you please provide a reference point for this?

If nobody claimed from their insurance, then premiums would be low as the risk to the insurance company would not have increased.

The algorithms they used are based on claims where they paid out of their own pocket (essentially).

Every insurance contract includes the duty of disclosure and the duty of utmost good faith, which will require that any claim (at-fault or not, and paid out-of-pocket or not) must be declared.

The actual premium is based on a combination of the underwriters' premium, book exposure, and segment competitiveness. Underwriters' segmentation criteria are all trade secrets, but anyone who has worked on a segmentation model can tell you that previous claims (again at-fault or not, and paid out-of-pocket or not) is a strong signal that a driver is at higher risk of a future claim, and will enter into a different risk category, with a higher premium.

Even not-at-fault claims where the other party's insurer covers all your insurance company's costs will result in a higher basic premium upon renewal. If in doubt, ask your insurer or broker. None of them hide this policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Sadly this is definitely not the case. I was involved in a no fault claim 2 years ago, and every quote I give I have to include that data. It does affect your quote...mightnt be much or at all, but you do have to declare it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

In those circumstances, you do not have a claim, but you have had an accident which must be declared if asked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

As you (or your cousin, friend etc ) were at fault, you don't have much choice except to smile and pay up. But, when handing over the cheque / cash etc. Have a typed form, which says basically:
    I, the undersigned ( NAME) accept €xxxxx in full and final settlement for the repairs to my Vehicle Reg xxxx which was damaged as a result of the accident which occurred on xxxx in xxxx ( location)

Signature ( of damaged car owner )xxxxxxx
    Witness xxxxxxxxxxxx

jmreire wrote: »
    As you (or your cousin, friend etc ) were at fault, you don't have much choice except to smile and pay up. But, when handing over the cheque / cash etc. Have a typed form, which says basically:
    I, the undersigned ( NAME) accept €xxxxx in full and final settlement for the repairs to my Vehicle Reg xxxx which was damaged as a result of the accident which occurred on xxxx in xxxx ( location)

Which means he can still submit a personal injury claim for (e.g.) whiplash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

Which means he can still submit a personal injury claim for (e.g.) whiplash.

Sure he can claim ( assuming that he was in the car when it happened ) To my mind, the poster is trying to come to an arrangement with the other person, regarding paying for the repairs, and not "disturbing" his insurance. And in all fairness, who could blame him? Now we don't have the figures he was quoted or an pics of the actual damage, so we are only guessing. Remember that TD who claimed €800 for "damage" to the rear of his car ( he tried to claim injury's too !!! ) The quote was €250 for material + €600 for labour. The accident when a self drive car rolled into the rear of Farrell's car, at between 5-8 Klms / hour. From the pics, you cannot see any damage at all....
    So maybe it was a similar accident the poster is speaking about? And he just trying to avoid being screwed by the car's owner, ( and the insurance ) who see's a chance of a quick buck. And I have come across instances where People only want the car restored to pre damaged condition, and have not tried to make a federal case out of it. I realize that regardless of what was said or done on the day ( or even afterward's ) the injured party can still go down the legal route.

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
    I realize that regardless of what was said or done on the day ( or even afterward's ) the injured party can still go down the legal route.

You only pay the other guy if you have a 100% guarantee that there will be no claim against your insurance. So you get him to sign in full and final settlement of all possible claims. Otherwise you'd be mad to hand over a cent.

Advertisement