Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2019

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

John_Mc wrote: »
    If you have a new PC then it's definitely worth installing P3D. The standard scenery is about the same but the lighting and graphics are better and the performance is much smoother because they've taken FSX and improved it over time.

For example, it's now 64 bit instead of 32 bit. This is a huge step up as you are no longer limited by 4GB of virtual address space (not matter how much RAM you have).

If MSFS wasn't just around the corner I'd be recommending Orbx Global and landclasses but it's not worth the money for such a short period of time.

There really is no reason not to upgrade.

Ive been checking out online, and it appears there is some relation between FSX and P3D? Is P3D developed from FSX to modernise it?

I am out of the game a long time, i spent 2009-2019 in the Middle East and Russia working so i barely used a Playstation in the last 10 years never mind any time on Flight Sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

It is indeed..... or at least to some degree. MS sold the license for their ESP (Enterprise Simulation Platform) to Lockheed Martin, who worked the code( or some of it ) and release it in 2010. The 64bit version was released in 2017. I had the original Ver., but was never really overly impressed with it (mainly used for testing repaint installers) Still it got more 'actual' use than FSX did....thought that worked as perfectly good door stop for years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Ive been checking out online, and it appears there is some relation between FSX and P3D? Is P3D developed from FSX to modernise it?

I am out of the game a long time, i spent 2009-2019 in the Middle East and Russia working so i barely used a Playstation in the last 10 years never mind any time on Flight Sim.

Yeah as Skynight said, P3D is an evolution of FSX. There has been 4 major versions, each with incremental upgrades to the platform. It will look and feel the same as FSX in most ways but it is smoother, gives better frame rates in a lot of cases, and has better lighting and shading.

In version 4 they have introduced new things that really add to the immersion. For example, the ability to project things onto the windscreen which is how third party developers have rain and insect splatters on the windscreen in recent releases.

Physics based rendering (PBR) is another addition which allows scenery developers to add physical characteristics to the textures so when it's raining you get puddles on the ground, and the terminal glazing shines and glitters in the right conditions as it should.

Another example is dynamic lighting which is where lights can actually illuminate things. It's pretty cool but extremely demanding on even the best graphics card so you'll find more people on forums complaining about it than praising it.

There are no new releases for FSX these days as it's a lot of hassle for developers and the gap between the two is getting bigger with each release. If you want the latest and greatest addons, you'll have no choice but to move to P3D.

off i go! Is everyone using the Professional?

I wonder is it dangerous to assume that Aerosoft will re release or update the A320 and A330 for FS2020 as they are so new. even a minimal charge would be ok

off i go! Is everyone using the Professional?

I wonder is it dangerous to assume that Aerosoft will re release or update the A320 and A330 for FS2020 as they are so new. even a minimal charge would be ok

It's a safe assumption that they will as the A320/A330 are brand new releases. I'd imagine they are already working on it as Aerosoft would surely have been one of the first companies to get the SDK for MSFS 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Psychlops

How is it able to fly the XPlane s92 on P3D?

Seen a video posted here of a lad that has the xplane s92 in P3D?

John_Mc wrote: »
    It's a safe assumption that they will as the A320/A330 are brand new releases. I'd imagine they are already working on it as Aerosoft would surely have been one of the first companies to get the SDK for MSFS 2020.

I assume you have the academic?

Academic is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Psychlops wrote: »
    How is it able to fly the XPlane s92 on P3D?

Seen a video posted here of a lad that has the xplane s92 in P3D?

Are you sure the model was for XPlane? There is a payware version available for XPlane alright

Its is possible to port P3D/FSX scenery across to XPlane....and with a bit of work the models(but the work load intensive) ....I'm not to sure about vice versa, due to the number of parameters in the flight model(or so I am lead to believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

I’m absolutely hyped for FS2020, it will be my first time properly delving into a Commercial Flight Sim, I’ve mainly used Combat Flight a Simulators in the past starting with Super EF2000 back in the Win95 days which was incredible sim for the time, right up to DCS World.

Can’t wait to see how Cork City is modeled and of course see my house from above, which is the first thing most players are going to do!

Delighted that it will be released on Xbox for more casual players to experience it,
    Looking forward to playing it in VR on my PC personally.

The head of FS2020 has said that VR is high on the list of priorities back in November so here’s hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

For those of you interested a ton of leaked gameplay is available on chinese site bilibili.
    https://space.bilibili.com/90634593/video

Also another user has uploaded content flying around Ireland in a C152.
    https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1p54y1D7VE?from=search&seid=12695446883422074183

EDIT : Just finished watching the Ireland video. It's a 9 minute flight around what looks like Donegal ending with a landing into EIDL.
    Looks absolutely incredible, we are in for an absolut treat with this sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

It's been years since I last played FS9/FSX and back then I was addicted to them.

I might treat myself with a new PC for this. Any ideas yet what spec would be required to get optimum performance like the above videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jack_frost_09

PCros wrote: »
    It's been years since I last played FS9/FSX and back then I was addicted to them.

I might treat myself with a new PC for this. Any ideas yet what spec would be required to get optimum performance like the above videos.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020s-wildly-impressive-visuals-will-require-some-serious-specs/

Plenty of info on the official site and youtube channel too if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

beanian wrote: »
    For those of you interested a ton of leaked gameplay is available on chinese site bilibili.
    https://space.bilibili.com/90634593/video

Also another user has uploaded content flying around Ireland in a C152.
    https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1p54y1D7VE?from=search&seid=12695446883422074183

EDIT : Just finished watching the Ireland video. It's a 9 minute flight around what looks like Donegal ending with a landing into EIDL.
    Looks absolutely incredible, we are in for an absolut treat with this sim.

There's 4 videos in this link including the flight over Ireland, dating back to April

https://space.bilibili.com/1513962

The one of the volumetric clouds is class.

New feature discovery episode on IFR. I'm actually stunned at what they're including in the base platform. Real world Navdata (updated every 28 days - bye bye Navdata.at), built in weather radar and the quality of ATC and A320 is very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Very impressive with the map based planning and the relative ease of use of setting up flight plans..have to say the ATC is disappointing and hopefully will be worked on before release. It sounds very FSX like and robotic. Maybe they will partner with vatsim or similar and properly integrate it into the sim. Although would have to consider the real time AI aircraft also..all in all though it's turning out to be an incredible sim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Something tells me that FS2020 will be a load of overhyped shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jack_frost_09

Something tells me that FS2020 will be a load of overhyped shyte.

Was there any substantive fact or knowledge expressed by the “something” that told you?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Flight Sim 2020 looks to be very detailed. How many hours would you burn playing this?

Available on Xbox one which is good as I doubt my 7 year old laptop with integrated graphics would suffice

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Rather than rename the old thread, I have split what was the flight sim 2019 thread into 2 separate threads, the 2020 thread has all the recent posts that have been made since the release of the new version of Flight Simulator

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
Advertisement