Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Criterion Channel

• 10-06-2019 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Are there any subscribers to this on here? I signed-up at the weekend and the catalogue is quite simply extraordinary. Over 1000 of Criterion's independent and world cinema classics, many of them with full length commentaries and other extras lifted straight from the highly sought-after Blu-rays.

As a long-term importer of the Criterion Collection it's a joy to have so much of it available at the click of a button. It's not perfect, the 'continue watching' syncing between the apps and browser is fundamentally broken, and as with Netflix you have to dig deep into the A-Z via the website to see the full catalogue.

However the collection is second to none. The only thing that comes closes is the BFI Player, which to its credit is also a serious collection of films. However Criterion is on a different level. Unfortunately its Android and Fire TV apps aren't as robust as its competitors but in terms of selection, and of course my own personal taste in films, it's the Holy Grail of streaming.

My highlight this weekend was a 20 minute Guillermo del Toro video where he essentially handpicks and speaks about a selection of films that are all waiting to be watched. (If you're interested, they were Renoir's 'La chienne', Dreyer's 'Vampyr', Hitchcock's 'The Man Who Knew Too Much', Cocteau's 'Beauty and the Beast', Charles Laughton's 'The Night of the Hunter', Georges Franju's 'Eyes Without a Face', Buñuel's 'Viridiana', Masaki Kobayashi's 'Kwaidan', Victor Erice's 'The Spirit of the Beehive', Felipe Cazals' 'Canoa: A Shameful Memory' and Terry Gilliam's 'Time Bandits'). What a selection!

The obvious downside is that the Criterion Channel is based in the US, so you won't be able to sign up from an Irish IP address (don't worry Mods, I'm not going to get myself into trouble!)

Thankfully, as with the BFI Player, Criterion don't care where in the world you watch it from so you don't need to worry about VPNs or any of that dodgy stuff. So long as you sign up while you're in America, or that the App Store or Playstore account you use to download the app was created in America, then you're good to go.

So if you're on holiday in the US or whatever, or already have a US app account, go ahead and sign up and subscribe via the app store and you can use it wherever you like.

Anyway, I don't work for Criterion! It's just that it's a niche service and the more subscribers the better in terms of making it a long-lasting venture.

Advertisement