Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant refusing to move out

Options
  • 09-06-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

So I have two tenants in my house who's been here almost 2 years. Now about 5 weeks ago I let them both know verbally they need to move out by this coming Friday as I needed the rooms. One was fine with it and the other didn't take it very well.

Now it's getting close to the time he says he needs more time so I was going to be accommodating and have him move to another room till he found somewhere but now he's saying he talked to a lawyer and he needs written 6 weeks notice on the contract with the names of the people who are moving in. Where do I stand here?

I say tenants above but I believe they are licencees as I live in the property as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

If he's a licencee, then I'm pretty sure he's classed as an invited guest in your house, and as such, you can get him to leave anytime, without notice, verbally or physically.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What 'contract' are you referring to?

If you live in the property then he has zero rights and is talking nonsense about 6 weeks and I'd be telling him as much, you would be within your rights to give him 24 hrs notice so you were very reasonable with the 5 weeks. Tell him to move out immediately or the locks will be changed and his stuff all left outside from him to collect.

Mod Note

Leaving open for general discussion.

If you haven't already, please familiarise yourself with the charter rules against giving/seeking legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

He can't be a licensee if you own the house? Only if you are a tenant organising who the other tenants are?

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/sharing-with-your-landlordrenting-from-a-tenant/

You need legal advice surely

Mortelaro wrote:
    He can't be a licensee if you own the house? Only if you are a tenant organising who the other tenants are?

Did you even read the link you provided? Living with a landlord is a licencee situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

<SNIP>

• Advertisement

Does op own the house or is he renting and subbing the rooms?

If op owns the house then yeah give the chancer 24 hours to get out.

If op is renting and subbing the rooms would it not be different?

Just throwing this in there, maybe op could clarify?

Even if he’s a tenant and is subletting the licensee conditions still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

splinter65 wrote: »
    Even if he’s a tenant and is subletting the licensee conditions still apply.

Cheers, i wasn't sure if the rules surrounding that.

From the RTB:

What is a Licensee?
    A licensee is a person who occupies accommodation under license. Licensees can arise in all sorts of accommodation but most commonly in the following four areas;
    • persons staying in hotels, guesthouses, hostels, etc.,
    • persons sharing a house/apartment with its owner e.g. under the ‘rent a room’ scheme or ‘in digs’,
    • persons occupying accommodation in which the owner is not resident under a formal license arrangement with the owner where the occupants are not entitled to its exclusive use and the owner has continuing access to the accommodation and/or can move around or change the occupants, and
    • persons staying in rented accommodation at the invitation of the tenant.
    The provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 do not apply to the first three categories. Although most of the Act does not apply to the fourth category also, some provisions are relevant where the licensee is residing with the tenant and this leaflet is aimed at persons in that category.

Source: https://www.rtb.ie/media-research/publications/licensees-in-private-rented-accommodation

OP if you have given this person a contract, you would be well advised to seek professional legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Graham wrote: »
    What 'contract' are you referring to?

Apologies probably bad phrasing on my part. There was no contract agreement. But he's requesting (or demanding really) for me to write out a notice contract that says he has to move out in 6 weeks with the names of the people who are moving in. He mentioned family members here so I believe he's thinking of a tenancy situation possibly.
    If you live in the property then he has zero rights and is talking nonsense about 6 weeks and I'd be telling him as much, you would be within your rights to give him 24 hrs notice so you were very reasonable with the 5 weeks. Tell him to move out immediately or the locks will be changed and his stuff all left outside from him to collect.

This is what I thought as well. Just wanted confirmation really. I am the owner and live in the property as well.

Citizens information have a publication that may be useful for your licensee:
    If you are renting a room in your landlord's home, your situation is very different. You do not have a standard tenancy agreement. Instead, you have a licensee agreement with your landlord. This means that you are in the property by the landlord’s consent or invitation. As a result, you cannot avail of the type of protection that tenants are entitled to under the residential tenancies legislation.

The position is the same if you are living with a spouse, child or parent of a landlord and you do not have a tenancy agreement or written lease.

As you do not have the same rights as someone whose tenancy comes under the landlord and tenant legislation, you should be aware of the following:
    • Your landlord is not obliged to provide you with a rent book or a statement of rent paid
    • There is no legal requirement for your accommodation to meet minimum physical standards (unless you are a HAP tenant and then these minimum standards must be met)
    • Any notice you may get of the termination of the tenancy is at your landlord's discretion (although the landlord is obliged to give reasonable notice, the specifics of this notice may vary)
    • Your landlord is not obliged to register the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB)
    • You cannot use the RTB's dispute resolution service if a disagreement arises between you and your landlord
    • You are not protected by the Equal Status Acts 2000-2015, which prohibit discrimination on grounds of gender, civil status, family status, age, race, religion, disability, sexual orientation and membership of the Traveller community – and now also on the ‘housing assistance’ ground
    Source: Sharing accommodation with your landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I am the owner and live in the property as well.
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    So I have two tenants in my house who's been here almost 2 years.
    No, you have two licensees living in your house.

Give him a weeks notice. If he becomes unruly, give him 24 hours notice.

the_syco wrote: »
    No, you have two licensees living in your house.

Give him a weeks notice. If he becomes unruly, give him 24 hours notice.

He already gave him 5 weeks notice, I would be staying he as to leave instantly or return to find his key doesn’t work.

OP, how long ago did he pull the solicitor stunt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Sounds like he waited a month.

Good luck OP.

Check with a solicitor to confirm you can just change the locks when Friday comes and goes, given that we have established that this is a licensee situation and not a tenancy.

Agree a time and location where he can collect any possessions he has failed to remove.

• Advertisement

Just today.

I let him know over a month ago. He had 6 weeks notice given over 5 weeks ago and he's due out the end of the week.

Blacktie. wrote:
    Just today.

Repeat to him that he is out on Friday as requested 5 weeks ago. Don't give him any leeway at all. Have a locksmith ready to call first thing on Saturday morning to change the locks.

Repeat to him that he is out on Friday as requested 5 weeks ago. Don't give him any leeway at all. Have a locksmith ready to call first thing on Saturday morning to change the locks.

I'll be doing this Friday afternoon. That's the day I told him he had to be out by.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Check with a solicitor to confirm you can just change the locks when Friday comes and goes, given that we have established that this is a licensee situation and not a tenancy.

No need to check with any solicitor.
    He is a licencee. He has been given more than enough notice.

Good luck OP.

Agree a time and location where he can collect any possessions he has failed to remove.

No need to pay a solicitor to tell him information that is freely and clearly available on Threshold and Citizensinformation.ie.
    As long as he stores the licensee’s stuff in a dry place and can prove that he informed him when and where he can collect the stuff (emails or texts will do) then he is good to tell him to go tomorrow evening.
    This person is a paying guest and is now trying to manipulate the situation so better to get him/her out before it gets unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

No need to pay a solicitor to tell him information that is freely and clearly available on Threshold and Citizensinformation.ie.
    As long as he stores the licensee’s stuff in a dry place and can prove that he informed him when and where he can collect the stuff (emails or texts will do) then he is good to tell him to go tomorrow evening.
    This person is a paying guest and is now trying to manipulate the situation so better to get him/her out before it gets unpleasant.

i would still wait until after the original date so that oone can say you kicked hm out with no warning extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

The lawyer thing is lies anyway he never spoke to anyone. Are you on good terms with him like are you friends or is it strictly a financial arrangement?

Might make for an uncomfortable living arrangement, I know I'd hate that in my own home.

Yeah, just making sure he has his ass covered.

The lawyer thing is lies anyway he never spoke to anyone. Are you on good terms with him like are you friends or is it strictly a financial arrangement?

Might make for an uncomfortable living arrangement, I know I'd hate that in my own home.

Strictly financial. Any good terms we had are gone after this today. Yes I expect it will be an awkward week. I plan on being home as much as possible so he can't mess with my stuff while I'm away. So work and hanging around at home for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Graham wrote: »
    From the RTB:

What is a Licensee?
    A licensee is a person who occupies accommodation under license. Licensees can arise in all sorts of accommodation but most commonly in the following four areas;
    • persons staying in hotels, guesthouses, hostels, etc.,
    • persons sharing a house/apartment with its owner e.g. under the ‘rent a room’ scheme or ‘in digs’,
    • persons occupying accommodation in which the owner is not resident under a formal license arrangement with the owner where the occupants are not entitled to its exclusive use and the owner has continuing access to the accommodation and/or can move around or change the occupants, and
    • persons staying in rented accommodation at the invitation of the tenant.
    The provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 do not apply to the first three categories. Although most of the Act does not apply to the fourth category also, some provisions are relevant where the licensee is residing with the tenant and this leaflet is aimed at persons in that category.

Source: https://www.rtb.ie/media-research/publications/licensees-in-private-rented-accommodation

Have read info in the link above and note that During the existence of a Part 4 tenancy any lawful licensee of the tenant/s may request the landlord to be allowed to become a tenant of the tenancy. The landlord may not unreasonably refuse such a request and must give his/her acceptance in writing.

Now, what if I am the part 4 tenant sharing with a licensee I have brought in to the house, but want to be in control of who lives with me?. Can I demand that my licensees are refused a tenancy, so as to keep the same rights as a live-in landlord who can get rid of a flatmate for any or no reason?

Advertisement