Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should non custodial parents be sent to jail for failing to pay child support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Kimsang wrote: »
    Do you know how taxes work? Do you know where the money comes from for social housing? Do you know where the money comes from for Child payments?
    Funny that you call a fact nonsense without citing any information.

And the kids you are "paying for" will work for your pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

meeeeh wrote: »

It doesn't work that way we work for our own pensions.

Although we need to support children simply because they need it. There doesn't need to be another reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Everybody of pension age gets a pension.
    Child-less people pay more tax, and receive less welfare and receive no thanks;

Child-less people pay more tax, and receive less welfare.
    True.

This isn't an argument on cutting social welfare to children of lone parents though.

You won't hear that kind of thing from me. Its too cruel.

Really I want to know how you support families and help them help themselves after a divorce or separation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Peregrinus wrote: »
    "Deadbeat dads" generally refers to fathers who neither live with their children nor provide financial support.

Are you saying that the US provides social housing to mothers who neither live with their children nor provide financial support? If not, what do you mean by "deadbeat mothers"?

im saying there is an unfair court system in the US which is biased against men

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

No we don't. One of the main reasons European countries need population growth is because we are not covering our own pensions.

No we don't. One of the main reasons European countries need population growth is because we are not covering our own pensions.

I think you have that wrong. We don't have enough PEOPLE to enter the professions old people need.

Unless you are talking state pensions. Which in all honesty will cover nothing.

Most people will rely on their own private pension/occupational pension combo for most.

silverharp wrote: »

Agreed fathers should get sole custody.

I'll give him the 150 per week gladly.

There is no equivalent for 'deadbeat father' for women. Since I think we agree with the earlier definition of father living without his family.

Because women get automatic custody in most cases(either the man can't afford, or is not willing to contest in court).

Would we call women that give their children up for adoption 'deadbeat mothers'?

• Advertisement

Child-less people pay more tax, and receive less welfare and receive no thanks;

Yes and those bringing up kids to be capable of working and paying taxes are making sure you won't be left destitute in your old age. To use the same logic as yours why would I sacrifice time bringing up kids so they pay for your pension. Maybe we should change the laws and childless people would not need to be able to pay taxes for other peoples children but in their old age their pension should be funded just through the contributions they made through their working lives.

There is no equivalent for 'deadbeat father' for women. Since I think we agree with the earlier definition of father living without his family.

Because women get automatic custody in most cases(either the man can't afford, or is not willing to contest in court).

Would we call women that give their children up for adoption 'deadbeat mothers'?

We used to put them in prison.

in their old age their pension should be funded just through the contributions they made through their working lives.

That is exactly how it is right now pretty much. I hope you are aware of that because its going to be a tough old age if you aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

In the real world men do not wish to be left holding the baby.

Are you a father?

The amount of people justifying men not paying for kids they have all had while WE all have to is baffling!

Agreed fathers should get sole custody.

I'll give him the 150 per week gladly.

Tell this to your crazy harpy sisters :cool::pac::pac:

Plopsu wrote: »
    Are you a father?

No. Female Just a realist.

We used to put them in prison.

And we STILL put men in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was a turn of phrase, just a point that there are plenty of mothers that are irresponsible and don't have their children's interests at heart , they are equally as "deadbeat" as some of the fathers out there.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Tell this to your crazy harpy sisters :cool::pac::pac:

I think im the harpy give him a measly 150 euro a week while i party?? But thanks!

It seems there are no real men.

• Advertisement

I think you have that wrong. We don't have enough PEOPLE to enter the professions old people need.

Unless you are talking state pensions. Which in all honesty will cover nothing.

Most people will rely on their own private pension/occupational pension combo for most.

Most people still get more out of the state than they paid in and public sector pensions are nowhere near covering themselves. Not to mention the medical costs of the pensioners. Most people in private sector don't have private pension so they won't rely on it and public sector gets way more then they paid in.

it was a turn of phrase, just a point that there are plenty of mothers that are irresponsible and don't have their children's interests at heart , they are equally as "deadbeat" as some of the fathers out there.

True but its noticeable that when there is a deadbeat father the kids end up with the mother.

When there are deadbeat mothers the kids end up in care or with her parents and never with the father. And then they are both deadbeats.

In the situation of a deadbeat mom the child is usually in the care of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

"Plenty" of mothers, "some" fathers.

Yay, another AH thread about how women in general are bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

plenty of Irish women have 'mickey money' coming in for a few different children

we don't, really. Fewer than one in three people have any kind of private pension, and only a tiny number of people have the kind of pension pot that can provide them with a reasonable income (say, just below the average industrial wage). For that very basic pension, you'd need a pot of about 300k at retirement on top of the state pension.

In the private sector, that is quite rare.

And even if you have a private pension of several hundred thousand euro, it isn't going to pay for developments in healthcare, drugs, hospital visits, etc. Even with private health insurance, that cost (in community rating) is paid for by healthy workers.

Most people still get more out of the state than they paid in and public sector pensions are nowhere near covering themselves. Not to mention the medical costs of the pensioners.

My family will not.
    By far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I think im the harpy give him a measly 150 euro a week while i party?? But thanks!

It seems there are no real men.
    This is as bad as the anti women stuff here. "No" real men?

How come some folk simply cannot think along the lines of "some women are arseholes, some men are arseholes, most people are not"?

It seems really difficult and yet it's so simple.

Most people still get more out of the state than they paid in and public sector pensions are nowhere near covering themselves. Not to mention the medical costs of the pensioners. Most people in private sector don't have private pension so they won't rely on it and public sector gets way more then they paid in.

Its very simple really....

Everyone gets a pension!
    But child-less people pay more tax, and receive less welfare.
    Meaning child-less people support people that have children. Its not complicated.

Fewer than one in three people have any kind of private pension, and only a tiny number of people have the kind of pension pot that can provide them with a reasonable income (say, just below the average industrial wage). For that very basic pension, you'd need a pot of about 300k at retirement on top of the state pension.
    :eek:

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME???

Ok ...i am out of touch with reality. That is not anywhere near my own financial situation or anyone in my family. So sorry i wasn't aware of what a typical situation was for other people.

I didn't realize most people were so badly providing for themselves or unable to for whatever reason.

The thing is though those people are just going to be in poverty they won't have anything to make it up unless actually on deaths door.

• Advertisement

My family will not.
    By far.

Well good for you. However unless you think you are the whole of society that is completely irrelevant.

Advertisement