Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk kindle to me

• 05-06-2019 5:55pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ok, I'll start with admitting I tend to be a tech nerd at times buying more stuff than I need more often than I want to admit to the misses. However I've seriously been pondering a kindle for a while simply because it is handier to carry around than the load of second hand books I usually buy. Second hand books are great but once you add in shipping etc. we're talking prices that are up there with cheap e-books anyway and I don't lose them around the house etc.

Hence been looking at the gen 10 300dpi but for those who were avid book readers before have you switched over permanently, are you using it a lot or did it end up as a dust collector on the "cool tech" shelf?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I love my kindle, got the basic one years ago and use it all the time. downloading books onto it like nobody's business. just read book 1? time to download book 2 and read it NOW

i think i only buy books if they're in a specific series i'm following and want to collect etc. 99% kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Nody wrote: »
    Ok, I'll start with admitting I tend to be a tech nerd at times buying more stuff than I need more often than I want to admit to the misses. However I've seriously been pondering a kindle for a while simply because it is handier to carry around than the load of second hand books I usually buy. Second hand books are great but once you add in shipping etc. we're talking prices that are up there with cheap e-books anyway and I don't lose them around the house etc.

Hence been looking at the gen 10 300dpi but for those who were avid book readers before have you switched over permanently, are you using it a lot or did it end up as a dust collector on the "cool tech" shelf?

In a similar position, empathise with the buying too much tech and second hand books points - both of which take up space!

Looking at the Kobo Clara HD as I'm reluctant to buy in to the Amazon ecosystem too much, and really like the ComfortLight feature that adjusts the blue light levels based on time of day. I read a lot at bed time and I'm wary of disrupting my sleep.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Any of the paper whites are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have two iPads (personal and work) and I have the Kindle app on both for reading. I personally wouldn’t buy a separate Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Absolutely love my paper white kindle. Haven't looked back since I got my first many years ago. Only repkaced my first when the first paperwhite came out which I'm still using. EBooks all the way

• Advertisement

Kindle all the way, especially in countries where books are hard to find. Need to buy a new one though as I dropped something on the screen and cracked it.
    dudara wrote: »
    I have two iPads (personal and work) and I have the Kindle app on both for reading. I personally wouldn’t buy a separate Kindle.

Have you used an actual Kindle before? The difference between them and tablets is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Bought a kindle (a bit dubiously) about 8 years ago and it was one of the best tech purchases I've made. I tend to bounce between the kindle and real books, but the kindle is generally in the bag for the commute to work and I always use it travelling.

I think the new basic model is now a paperwhite, which is a phenomenal device. Personally my kindle is so old it has no back light, but still works a dream and no signs of damage or needing to be replaced. Also, as a side note, I got a really good quality leather case which has protected it, but its also aged really well. Some nice signs of battering and wear that actually give it some of the character of a well worn book!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Bought a Kindle in the airport a few years ago as I always ended up taking up half my suitcase with books.
    Thought I wouldn't use it that much but within a few months I'd completely stopped buying physical books. Battery or screen went on that after 3-4 years but Amazon gave me a discount on a new one even though it was out of warranty so on my second Kindle now.
    I buy from Amazon but also Google Play and Kobo and use Calibre to convert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have older eReaders but I tend to use my kids Paperwhite. I just love the convenience of getting a book for a few euro and it's downloaded straight away.

Not a huge fan of the kindles software interface but you get used to it

I'm on a few email lists which tell me of current bargains.

I read a lot of books using my phone and the Kindle app also.

• dudara wrote: »

Kindle screen always easier to read, for me (in all conditions)

Bought mine in 2010 and it's still going strong (even if the dpi is a bit low nowadays). Man does it save a tonne of room around the house and when travelling and have my library backed up to local storage too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can't go wrong with a paper white, reading on a tablet is horrible in comparison.

I don't think I can go back to paper books now, way too awkward, particularly in bed! I still like having shelves filled with them though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Brego888

dudara wrote: »

What kind of battery life are you getting on your ipads though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I've had a Kindle of some form for the last 9 years. The freedom of not taking heavy books away is amazing. I've often finished a book at night and downloaded another in the series and reading within moments.
    Amazon are amazing with their customer service also. I've only paid for 2 Kindles in my time but have had 5 due to dropping etc. and getting free replacements.
    There's no comparison to using tablets etc. Why anyone would do this is beyond me. Tablet screens are so much harder on the eyes.
    The latest paperwhite is also water resistant so much handier if ye fancy a bath.
    Not sure what your stance on sourcing ebooks are but pretty much any book can be found in the right places.
    Use Calibre to manage your device and link it to your Goodreads lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I used to buy Kindle books almost exclusively. Love the convenience of being able to buy a book whenever the urge took my fancy. Much smaller and lighter and better battery than a table and easier on the eyes for long reading periods. The paper white models really are lovely to hold and read with.

Having said all that, I've started buying paper books again. Now the kids are getting a bit older I want books on the shelf at home that they can pull down and read themselves when they want to. That's how I got started reading, so I'd like them to have the same chance as me.

My kids prefer books. The almost never use the eReader unless they are stuck.

I still a sucker for the real book, and I've kept many simply because I love the book cover artwork.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm on my fourth Kindle!

Bought the first one when A Dance With Dragons came out so I could read on my commute. Upgraded to a Paperwhite so I could read in bed with no light. 3 year old threw that in the bath, so had to buy a replacement.

Just bought the new basic model on Friday so I could give my daughter my old one. It has a light just like the Paperwhite - just less DPI and £40 cheaper.

Having a library at your fingertips (esp when travelling), and reading in the dark are the unbeatable features.

I'm tempted to get a waterproof one for the bath.

Dades wrote: »

Having a library at your fingertips (esp when travelling), and reading in the dark are the unbeatable features.

I like that you don't have to keep the pages open. Easy to eat and read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have paperwhites going on 6 years now. Best investment ever, only used at night when reading in bed, great if you get up during the night and need to settle down again without waking the person next to you. Enabled several moves of 'the book collection' that were trivial - just move the Kindle and not the boxes of books!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got a present of the original Kindle many moons ago from my wife and still use it. I very rarely buy paper books these days, as with crap eyesight I find the Kindle much easier to read. I also like that it is light, is always on the right page and that the single button page turn makes one handed reading a joy. Also great battery life, cheaper books, whole library in your hand etc... For me it is on of those technologies that just works really well.

The big downside is spending less time in bookshops, which for me is an altogether nicer experience that browsing online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

I use a paperwhite and find it brill. Ive also started using audiobooks in the car because of the crapness of the radio and discovered that the audible.com and kindle books are intertwined.(there both amazon so I guess they should be) If im listening to a book in the car when I go to read the book on kindle (if I am) it automaticaly goes to correct paper and visa versa I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I have a Kindle which I never use since I downloaded the Kindle app on my phone. I love the ease of just opening the book on the page I left the book at and just reading for 5 or 15 minutes while waiting for something or someone.

• I have a Kindle which I never use since I downloaded the Kindle app on my phone. I love the ease of just opening the book on the page I left the book at and just reading for 5 or 15 minutes while waiting for something or someone.

Does the kindle app work with non-Kindle purchased books?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

After going through several Kindles I have the Kobo Aura One and I couldn't recommend it enough. I think it's the vest ereader out there and the bigger screen size, thee DPI, the interface, the in built library lending software and the change of light from white to orange as the evening wears on make it perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭blackbox

It works with most formats, but if necessary you can use Calibre to convert formats. Edit: reply refers to Kindle device. Don't know about app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I held off for a long time getting one, but I did last year and never looked back. I read more now that I have it. No brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Don't know that, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

You can use Calibre to convert it and then Send to Kindle to send to your Kindle account.
    You can then read it on Kindle device or the app, and whispersync will be enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I used to read on a Kindle paperwhite exclusively, but now I read on iPhone 8+ with Kindle app.

I noticed a massive difference in screen brightness - or darkness, rather - between iPhones and some different Androids - the iPhone was much better for reading on in the dark (also a tip: Options - General - Display Accommodations - Reduce White Point to 80% at night).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have you used an actual Kindle before? The difference between them and tablets is huge.

I have, but I don’t need another gadget. And I find reading on the iPad to be quite comfortable.

Advertisement