Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Is there one person who does not know a family member or friend who got compo claim"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I got compo for an accident at work 20 years ago. It was a legitimate claim. Completely mangled my wrist in a fall due to unsafe company practices. My wrist still gives me trouble. I feel it constantly and I'll never gain full use or strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thats quite a judgmental post! Not all claimants are irresponsible or out for what they can get, you can’t judge or know what you would do in their situation. In fact some cases are to make the people who caused the accidents responsible for what happened

I’ve no problem admitting I have received compo in the past, I had an accident at work due to improperly installed equipment and was off work for weeks with no wages or contribution towards medical costs. The business owner had a stinking attitude and made jokes about what happened and ended up making a profit from my accident. I eventually had to give up the career I loved and spent years training for, as I was in too much pain to continue with the job. 5 years on I’m still in pain as a result of that injury

The compo covered my medical bills, lost wages and a little bit left over that I used towards retraining, I don’t regret claiming in the slightest.

Not just judgemental, smug in spades

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WiseWitness

A chap my dad worked works with got 60K because he fell and broke his leg in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

I do know of one or two people who would have a lot of "accidents" and seek a lot of claims. but no friends or family.

Is the issue not just the number of claims but how high the payouts are.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Why do we feel the need to profit from an injury?
    I get the medical costs and lots of earnings side of it but the idea that you should also be compensated for distress or Inconvinience is a bit much I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Better Question would be does anyone know a family member who faked a Insurance Claim? People with FG links don't need to answer:D

ArrBee wrote: »
    I get the medical costs and lots of earnings side of it but the idea that you should also be compensated for distress or Inconvinience is a bit much I reckon.

So you don't think suffering warrants any compensation?

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    I got compo for an accident at work 20 years ago. It was a legitimate claim. Completely mangled my wrist in a fall due to unsafe company practices. My wrist still gives me trouble. I feel it constantly and I'll never gain full use or strength.

Given the choice between half a million quid and a perfect wrist, which would you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

ArrBee wrote: »

That depends.

Say a skilled cabinet maker, walking down the footpath and an air-conditioning unit falls off the roof of a building. No fault of his own, air-conditioning unit was not installed correctly. Guy is badly injured, after months in hospital he is discharged from hospital, but after an additional 6 months of physio has only 30% use of his left arm due to irreparable nerve damage.

He needs to undergo months of physio and then retraining how to redo the most basic things one handed,

He now has issues driving and needs an automatic.
    He can no longer tie his own shoes so needs to wear slipons or get someone else to tie them for him.

While he was in hospital and in physio there was no income to the house. His wife applied for and eventually got social welfare but it wasn't enough to meet mortgage payments and pay the car loan. car has been repossessed and the mortgage is in default. Wife is stressed out of her mind and crying her self to sleep,. kids have no idea whats going on.

Guy has 25 years experience at his trade, highly regarded made a very good living but that's now gone. How does he make a living. ? At 47 he will need to retrain to do what ? He has dyslixia, no interest in computers whats he to do ?

To relax the guy loved to play guitar, it was his hobby, his passion outside work and family, that and the odd game of golf with the guys.

Both now gone.

I think he is entitled to a little for stress and suffering.

Guy who trips and sprains his ankle ?? Not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    So you don't think suffering warrants any compensation?

Not really, no.

We all suffer in some way. It's all about how you position that and then argue it in a court.

Now, I do understand and agreed with costs being awarded and a lot of compensation claims go towards costs, i'm sure.
    Costs like adapting to a new injury or disability, or loss of earnings. etc.

But adding money on top because "you've been wronged"? where does it stop? This is the reason there is a problem that needs dealing with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement