Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert exam disrupted by bulldozers and rock breakers at school

Options
  • 05-06-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

My daughter sat English this morning while the school had a full on building work outside the window. Rock breakers, heavy trucks, etc. (New school extention)
    School not interested in complaints. Is there any action parents can take ? Should there at least be a note made of the unfair conditions when marking ?
    To add insult to injury the junior certs were placed furthest away from the works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Contact Athlone immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

OK, I will. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The SEC uses the schools for the exams. The schools are meant to make sure they are suitable.

About 25 years ago the school I worked in had a similar issue and had the noise stopped within an hour. Surprised the Superintendents did not report it to Athlone - or maybe they did.

Hope it has stopped tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Contact parent rep bom as well as the SEC, school have nothing to do with running of exams but SEC will not look too kindly on disruption to exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

When I done my leaving certificate we had something similar, and to make it worse the invigilator stepped outside to smoke a cigarette. Made it louder.

Complaints were not listened to.

• Advertisement

I phoned Athlone and they were shocked that the school had this going on, under their own control. I will know tomorrow if they will do anything about it though. Hard to imagine two more weeks of this. Hard enough on them as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Possible actions if this isn't immediately stopped.

Threaten the SEC with a court injunction, ring RTE's educational correspondent, contact local TDs - both government and opposition - and be sure to use cameraphones to record the noise and disruption.

Time is of the essence.

And ring Joe!!!

Thank-you all for your help. I rang the SEC and they said there were already a lot of parents on to them and they have an inspector on the way to the school. They said the school should have arranged with their contractor that no work to be done during the exam period. Fingers crossed for the rest of the exams. Best of luck to anyone else that has kids doings exams. It brings it all back to our own time doing it.

ClonNGB wrote: »

School not interested in complaints.

That bit really stinks - if you're non-Dublin phone your local paper and get them on the job - name & shame!

• Advertisement

I just passed the school now and work is continuing unhindered. No exams this afternoon apart from Junior Cert. I hope this does not happen tomorrow. I will collect some video footage if it does and some audio for Joe Duffy show !

Any update this morning, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That’s why I failed maths. Because a feckin seagull was squawking. Tried to complain but the seagull told me to F off.

That’s why I failed maths. Because a feckin seagull was squawking. Tried to complain but the seagull told me to F off.

If you had paid more attention you'd have realised that it was telling you the right answers!

English exam has started and diggers going about their business unhindered. I phoned Athlone and they said the school gave them an assurance that building work would be done outside exam hours. Basically the school is giving them the two fingers as well as they did to the students and parents. I am exasperated.

Get onto joe, and tell athlone you are seeking legal advice. Ps time to name and SHAme them or upload some video so we can see how bad it is, send video link to all news places, and tweet tag all and any politician etc

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

ClonNGB wrote: »
    English exam has started and diggers going about their business unhindered. I phoned Athlone and they said the school gave them an assurance that building work would be done outside exam hours. Basically the school is giving them the two fingers as well as they did to the students and parents. I am exasperated.
    Keep an impeccable written record of all phone calls and contacts - date, time and names. Put your complaint in writing to the SEC. Forward a copy to the School Principal.

Have you called the people who placed the contract? Because they're the ones who can tell the contractors to stop.

Bit of a long shot, but I'm thinking that it's probably the CETB. http://cork.etb.ie

A quick update. Athlone have been back to me and had been assured by school management that work had stopped during exam time. I advised I had video evidence to the contrary. Another parent went on-site and saw multiple machines working away.
    Athlone are sending out an inspector again to be present all day tomorrow. Crazy times we live in where students doing the most important exam of their lives are of little consequence to those we trusted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact the local paper and get them to ring the school for a comment.

What you have described is not on. It is not uncommon for a school to have building work going on during the summer period, but it is up to the school/ETB/management body to get them to stop during exams.

It is likely that there will be mention of the disruption in the Superintendent's report, so examiners should be aware conditions were not ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Maybe a bit extreme but organise for all the kids and adults to walk out of school if the building work is going on and ask the sec for the second version of the exam to be re run - this will be in the papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

You have amazing patience. My child is doing the leaving cert now. I would actually pull the driver out of the digger with my bare hands and call the guards. How dare they treat students like this.

Actually I think I'd go in and sit in the middle of the building site to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Maybe a bit extreme but organise for all the kids and adults to walk out of school if the building work is going on and ask the sec for the second version of the exam to be re run - this will be in the papers!

Or the Department dont play ball and you fail the exams and have to repeat next year

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's also an excellent way to put even more stress on the OP's daughter and all her classmates.

Making the paper isn't the objective here, it's one possible means to an end, and the end in question is REDUCING stress on this class of students.

The candidates have done nothing wrong here and I would not be encouraging them to walk out or anything like that.
    As described, the fault is with the school's local management.

What are they going to do during the aural sections?

This should have been stopped in minutes. I still think a phone call from a local paper might have some effect, not with a view to publication, but as a reminder to the Principal how bad this will look if the school continue to let it happen.

The candidates want it to stop.
    The parents want it to stop.
    The SEC want it to stop.
    The Principal/management body need to explain why they are not stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

juneg wrote: »
    I would actually pull the driver out of the digger with my bare hands

would ya really though, Easy said on a forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    would ya really though, Easy said on a forum

I actually would.
    I'm a stressed mother wanting the best for her child
    All the stress he is going through with the leaving cert
    6 years work leading up to this
    On a knife edge for points
    College place depending on the outcome
    The amount of money I've paid out for grinds

I 100% would and more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I actually would.
    I'm a stressed mother wanting the best for her child
    All the stress he is going through with the leaving cert
    6 years work leading up to this
    On a knife edge for points
    College place depending on the outcome
    The amount of money I've paid out for grinds

I 100% would and more

Assault probably wouldn't be the best solution to be honest. They're just doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

If this is as noisy and disruptive as you say, have other parents complained. If so then a group of you should simply go on the building site and interrupt activities. That will bring things to a head immediately.
    I stayed in a hotel recently for one night. At 7 in the morning a pile driver started on a building site next door. The noise was dreadful. Can't imagine trying to do exams beside a site with a rock breaker in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You have amazing patience. My child is doing the leaving cert now. I would actually pull the driver out of the digger with my bare hands and call the guards. How dare they treat students like this.

Actually I think I'd go in and sit in the middle of the building site to protest.

To be fair the digger driver isn't at fault he is just doing what he is told by his boss, who is probably just doing what he is told by the principal.

That is the person that is really at fault for allowing this.

Advertisement