Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Great year for No. 1's but on the negative side the world nearly exploded

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

So, swings and roundabouts.

Reagan really was a piece of work, intentional goading of the soviets to justify the hypocritical Reagan Doctrine turned the nuclear threat knob up to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Biggest rap hit from 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Reagan really was a piece of work, intentional goading of the soviets to justify the hypocritical Reagan Doctrine turned the nuclear threat knob up to 11.

Best American president since FDR and miles ahead of any who followed him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Great year indeed. The 80s did produce some memorable music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

That's a very simplistic reading of history.

Regan believed that to successfully negotiate with the Soviets you had to do so from a position of strength. He was deeply troubled by the threat of nuclear warfare and arguably did more to make the world a safer place than any president since.

• Advertisement

Supporting the contras, mujahedeen etc. made the world a safer place?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't remember much about the music from 1983 but I remember the Dubs gave us a beating in more ways that one in the All Ireland that year!

Supporting the contras, mujahedeen etc. made the world a safer place?

Helped defeat the communist International movement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Helped defeat the communist International movement

And inadvertently created the international Islamist and Narco movements.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

True was number 1 roughly around the time of my conception :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Hardly, it was all set up and facilitated by the CIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I knew all of the no1’s in the OP straight away apart from one. Surprisingly good year for the 80’s . Also that AI final between Dublin and Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think music in the 80s hit peak 'radio friendliness' in terms of catchy ear-worm types songs. Poptastic :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The first no. 1 of '83 was quite awful but it was released in 1982.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pure Pop for perfect people was killed by grunge and then over reliance on software and then the internet ending the big tent of shared tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Pure Pop for perfect people was killed by grunge and then over reliance on software and then the internet ending the big tent of shared tastes.
    Generally the 80’s were shyt compared to the 90’s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some good tunes there, I hate that Renee and Renate song though. I couldn't tell you one song in the charts now, or for a long time, if they even have charts nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

After hearing True by Spandau ballet in the choon thread I did some googling. It was released in 1983 and went to number one in the Irish charts for a week.
    But what I found most remarkable, considering I wasn't even born then, is the amount of recognisable hits that went to the top spot that year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_singles_of_1983_(Ireland)
    "No, things are the same as ever - you're just getting old!" Oh wait, you weren't even born.

Unquestionably better chart music overall then.

No risk of the end of the world there

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think music in the 80s hit peak 'radio friendliness' in terms of catchy ear-worm types songs. Poptastic :)

The best decade for catchy shallow throwaway pop

Good bad music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Actually when he found out that the USSR thought that the Able Archer wargames were a prelude to a pre-emptive strike, and feared the US capabilities - he became much more conciliatory. Which led to the summits with Gorbachev and the end of the Cold War. He really was a piece of work - in a good way. We are fortunate such a man came to lead America in the 1980s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Roseanna Davidson was conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I was born in the mid-70's, so the music of the early/mid-80's for me has an enormous amount of nostalgia. I was very young, the summer holidays were long and hot, the music was great (and most of those tunes still stand well today against 'modderen' music), and everytime I hear most of the songs on the OP's list I'm transported back to that time.

Music really is an amazing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I was born in the mid-70's, so the music of the early/mid-80's for me has an enormous amount of nostalgia. I was very young, the summer holidays were long and hot, the music was great (and most of those tunes still stand well today against 'modderen' music), and everytime I hear most of the songs on the OP's list I'm transported back to that time.

Music really is an amazing thing.

I remember watching the Take on me video with my brother when it had just came out, it was one of the Saturday morning shows. And the one with George Harrison and all the Grandfather clocks and sh*t start dancing, I've got my mind set on you. We thought this was all amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I remember watching the Take on me video with my brother when it had just came out, it was one of the Saturday morning shows. And the one with George Harrison and all the Grandfather clocks and sh*t start dancing, I've got my mind set on you. We thought this was all amazing.

It was, at the time! I remember absolutely loving that George Harrison song, (still do!) and only found out last year that it was a cover!! And remember, kids today who are 8, 9, 10 years old will look back in 35 years with great nostalgia to the songs of Ariana Grande, Little Mix, Cardi B, Drake etc, who will all be dinosaurs by then! Swings and roundabouts.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...and the song that went with the nuclear Armageddon theme

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The utter outrage in the press when she displayed her unshaven armpits!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The utter outrage in the press when she displayed her unshaven armpits!

And rightly so, fúcking yeti:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Oops! wrote: »
    Did'nt Boyzone murder a cover of it many a moon later?

No. Different word. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,229 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

YFlyer wrote: »
    Three years after Ian Curtis passing away?
    The song was a hit in June 1980. But was re-released in 83 possibly a 12" version

Advertisement