Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skeptical about job offer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

fryup wrote: »
    OP, please name REC agency so others are pre-warned

Also very curious as to what this is about :confused:

ShaShaBear, was your husband ever told the name of the company who the job offer was with? Surely if not then it's unbelievable from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Also very curious as to what this is about :confused:

ShaShaBear, was your husband ever told the name of the company who the job offer was with? Surely if not then it's unbelievable from the outset.

Yes he was - that's how we found out about the "scam" for lack of a better word. He eventually rang to clarify and they had never dealt with the recruiters in question.

In any case, it's off-topic - OP, as others have said, don't do anything until you have a signed contract in your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

It's more common than people think. I worked in a recruitment agency. I don't like their practices. They do "pooling" jobs all the time. The jobs don't exist but they want people ready to go, should a client be looking for X amount of staff with Y qualifications.

Be mindful of recruitment agencies. Most are perfectly fine, just ask the right questions and make sure they are transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

It's more common than people think. I worked in a recruitment agency. I don't like their practices. They do "pooling" jobs all the time. The jobs don't exist but they want people ready to go, should a client be looking for X amount of staff with Y qualifications.

Be mindful of recruitment agencies. Most are perfectly fine, just ask the right questions and make sure they are transparent.
    But how can they tell people they've got the job if they haven't been interviewed by the actual company? I can't see how an agency could pull this off unless the hiring company was in on it too.

What agency did you work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

But how can they tell people they've got the job if they haven't been interviewed by the actual company? I can't see how an agency could pull this off unless the hiring company was in on it too.

There are plenty of labour job, construction jobs etc. They'll advertise as having a specific role. People come in and are signed up and they're told the work is starting in a few weeks. The agency doesn't actually know when any job is starting - they may have some leads or prospect clients. Candidate is happy they got a job and agency is happy they have bodies should a client call looking for two labourers. The job advert will look like any job advert though, maybe a little more general. But sure often the client wants to stay anonymous anyway, so the agency doesn't have to put in the company details.

The agency pays the staff and bills the client/company so they can do this without the company colluding. At the end of the day, the client just wants the staff, without the headache of the hiring process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

OP - can you give an update on this please? Did you ever get a contract for the new job? Have you handed your notice in with your current employers yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The agency pays the staff and bills the client/company so they can do this without the company colluding. At the end of the day, the client just wants the staff, without the headache of the hiring process.

...and firing process

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

There are plenty of jobs where you don't get interviewed by the company, the agency does all of it.

OP - can you give an update on this please? Did you ever get a contract for the new job? Have you handed your notice in with your current employers yet?
    I emailed the recruitment lady about contract on Thursday. Didn't hear back yet.

It doesn't start until the latter half of August, so no, I did not hand in my notice.

Contract finally came through!

• Advertisement
Advertisement