Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on diet transitioning from weight loss to strength training

Options
  • 31-05-2019 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm a 5'11 male whose lost 70 pounds by dieting, generally restricting myself to 1000-1200 calories per day, and exercise through a combination of walking/running in the past few months. Tomorrow's the big day where I hopefully start my bulking journey. What kind of diet should I be going for here? I'm getting mixed messages regarding calorie intake ranging from 2000 at the lower end right up to 3500. I don't have a notion how much protein I should intake. Just looking for some help and guidance.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What’s your age, current weight, current body fat % and current activity level? You can plug all of these into a calorie calculator online to get your TDEE. Aim for about 300-500 calories above that TDEE per day to gain about a pound a week. Anymore than that and you’re just putting on fat. To “bulk” you need to consistently be in a calorie surplus and do resistance training such as weights- do you currently lift?

As for protein intake, 1g per pound of body weight per day is plenty. So for example if you’re 160lbs, take in 160g protein a day, give or take.

Advertisement