Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suckler cow reduction payment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Saw an article in the journal online where it is not just a suckler cow reduction but a beef production reduction. They are equating this to the milk price support that occured during the last milk price crisis.
    They're also seem to be insisting that any one that reviewed support is in an environment scheme or is QA. This could mean anybody that sold finished cattle through the mart that was not QA will review nothing. TBH I say there will be a lot of disappointed lads.
    Last week also the journal did some research that indicated that lads selling weanling and stores last autumn were back 50-100 euro and this was of benefit to finisher's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

The way forward would seem to be a nationwide reduction of animals, if that just includes bovines or pigs and sheep I don't know, but definitely bovines.
    A way of doing this would be less inputs and less cattle...basically Organic farming, and a major reduction in suckler cows, whilst not having a major increase in dairy cows.
    E.g. Farm x of goodish 100 acres has 75 sucklers selling weanlings, with the major input of 20 ton of fertilizer and a lump of meal, and a 75 suckler cow shed. Farm x switches to organic raising dairy calfs to beef with half the livestock units and a smaller shed, and no fertilizer & (very little organic meal) inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Saw an article in the journal online where it is not just a suckler cow reduction but a beef production reduction. They are equating this to the milk price support that occured during the last milk price crisis.
    They're also seem to be insisting that any one that reviewed support is in an environment scheme or is QA. This could mean anybody that sold finished cattle through the mart that was not QA will review nothing. TBH I say there will be a lot of disappointed lads.
    Last week also the journal did some research that indicated that lads selling weanling and stores last autumn were back 50-100 euro and this was of benefit to finisher's

Wish I could have bought them €100 cheaper this spring. Thought plainer suckler cattle were dearer if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭older by the day

Be a sin to plant a lot of places where cows are kept

It might be a bigger sin to waste young people's youth. Keeping them at home tied to those cows

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Few small auld sins, never hurt anyone!!

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Wish I could have bought them €100 cheaper this spring. Thought plainer suckler cattle were dearer if anything.

There was an opinion that only finisher's were entitled to the fund. Those with this opinion were advocating that the total fund should have been paid as a slaughter premium. This would have equated to about 130/ head. The main reasons given were ration prices ( but this was known before any cattle were put into a shed) and poor beef price. However if you compare 2018 with 2019 in general beef prices were back only by 20 c/ kg. This equated to a loss of 50-60/ head. However stores last autumn were back by that and more

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Very disappointed to see in journal as well about the farmer having to be QA or in environment scheme. Sure isn't that only keeping the small lads out again, and reducing the potential farmers they have to pay. I have neither and the neighbour next door doesn't, and we're both selling fine weanlings in the mart. Was looking forward to the few Bob coming in but anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

It might be a bigger sin to waste young people's youth. Keeping them at home tied to those cows

If the farm house is surrounded by forestry never see them again anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Very disappointed to see in journal as well about the farmer having to be QA or in environment scheme. Sure isn't that only keeping the small lads out again, and reducing the potential farmers they have to pay. I have neither and the neighbour next door doesn't, and we're both selling fine weanlings in the mart. Was looking forward to the few Bob coming in but anyways...

Be interesting to see the final numbers on this.

I’d be expecting that maybe 50% of beef farms will see some of this money with the rest left licking the wounds of a bad year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

There was an opinion that only finisher's were entitled to the fund. Those with this opinion were advocating that the total fund should have been paid as a slaughter premium. This would have equated to about 130/ head. The main reasons given were ration prices ( but this was known before any cattle were put into a shed) and poor beef price. However if you compare 2018 with 2019 in general beef prices were back only by 20 c/ kg. This equated to a loss of 50-60/ head. However stores last autumn were back by that and more

Young bull prices were back 50 to 60 cent. On a 450kg carcass when you include ration hike it was close to €300 if not more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Young bull prices were back 50 to 60 cent. On a 450kg carcass when you include ration hike it was close to €300 if not more.

Exactly, who cares where or who gets the 100m Larry and co have most, if not all of it got already.

I'm just wondering how low beef price will go when brexit part II hits the fan next October.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Heifers may be back 20- 30 cent but young bulls are back a euro, that's over 400 euro per head of a hit at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Heifers may be back 20- 30 cent but young bulls are back a euro, that's over 400 euro per head of a hit at least.

My weanlings were back 70 cent/kg liveweight last week @ average 400kg live. That's €280 per head. It is not only finishers in trouble.

Bills are a gamble you win big you lose big. Gave up on gambling on them after the last hair cut in 2014 was it. IMO last winter with ration prices they were not even a gamble. Along with that lots of lads played double or quits and kept them hoping for the prices to rise. Some lads even left them go over 24 months.

Talking to a lad that feed s few of his own( AA and killed under 16 months) he moved them all on in December/January as usual. He made a few bob out of them as they went on the grid at or near the bullock base.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

So we've gone from building grants and Harvest 2020 to now reducing suckler numbers all in the space of a few years. Oh boy!

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

So we've gone from building grants and Harvest 2020 to now reducing suckler numbers all in the space of a few years. Oh boy!

Beef price is in the doldrums all over EU and the world even, even supermarkets are saying that mince is allthat's wanted now and dairy beef will fill that.
    With Beef plan undermining our intensive fed suckler beef and this has even spread now to Scotch Beef we're lucky to be able to sell anything

Advertisement