Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"pollinators" - NightTime Pollinators

Options
  • 30-05-2019 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Took me a while to decide to post or not, but over couple of last nights i just lost it... too many living creatures invading the boundary... the "permaculture growing" principles have been violated...
    These small "pollinators" creates more damage and i just dont see the end of it.

I have few outdoors containers,in each i have trees and /or flowers.
    In couple of them,i dropped coffee from the machine,after been used.Seems to me as making a difference.
    Needed to go deep at the root level,move softly the flowers,the buds and the leaves to reach the soil ,to the botom of the flower or the plant itself...

But what intrigues and makes me wonder how do they work their magic to end up so high, on so thin leaves and branches of th eapple tree ...and even on the shinny plastic surfaces they slide like a pro...

Im i doing something wrong here !??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't follow what you mean at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Containers that had coffee dropped and spread out.
    Not sure what they dont like here but no one to see there... like in the last one.

481517.jpg

481518.jpg

481519.jpg

Some of the flowers looked ok but after i move the green foliage and checked deep inside the flower, the little creatures were fully exposed.

481520.jpg

481521.jpg

481522.jpg

481523.jpg

481525.jpg

Same,some of the strawberry,redberries / blackberries leafes were beaten and missing big pieces out of the normal shape.
    Looked for the usual culprits but actually found some nasty sticky flies that were doing massive damage to the plants.

481526.jpg

481527.jpg

481528.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think the OP needs help............ with slugs and snails.

• Advertisement

I have more photos here...
    i'll just upload five more funny ones... that may explain the qustion why my plants today are fine and over night / tomorrow looks different...

481529.jpg

481530.jpg

481531.jpg

481533.jpg

481535.jpg

And lastly,one from inside the greenhouse.
    I have planted few seeds of courgettes isolated in plastic containers,for protection.
    I cannot figure out how that little one got on top of the plant... no ideea,no traces on the supports...

481537.jpg

And this green bed is the only way i can enjoy salad finally in my GH for the past 2 years.
    It just keeps the little buggers away from the sweet tasty salad leaves.

481538.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Get yourself a duck. :)

I picked up a couple from a poultry sale a couple of weeks ago. They're mad for slugs. Super poopy though.

ducklings.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

We had a resident hedge hog who was quite aged so suspect he's deceased as haven't heard or seen him in a couple of years and ever since have been overrun with slugs and snails. I don't sow vegetables or salad leaves but after a wet night can often pick 20+ snails from a single bush (can post a pic later of one such harvest).
    Have heard a duck can do wonders alright but requires more space and maintenance while the hedgehog was discreet and independent. Anyone heard a means of adopting another nightly visitor to hover up all the critters that damage/destroy plant life as alternatively I'll have to resort to slug pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can you purposely introduce a hedgehog to your garden...keep him/her as a pet...is it possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

GreeBo wrote: »

And a few vine weevil in post 5.

So, it's slugs, snails and weevils you have; not pollinators. There's absolutely no evidence that coffee grounds are an effective deterrent to slugs. Good for the soil though. .

fryup wrote: »
    can you purposely introduce a hedgehog to your garden...keep him/her as a pet...is it possible?

That's an absolute No. Hedgehogs are wild animals, not pets, and travel up to 3Km per night. One garden would not feed a hedgehog, only 5% of their diet is slugs or snails, they would clear an average garden of beetles and other beneficial insects in a couple of days if confined to a single garden.

Slug pubs for the slug and snails https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snail-Simple-Traps-Chemicals-Garden/dp/B01MQER7GT/ but you can make your own easy enough
    Copper tape around pots to keep slugs and snails off https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defenders-Barrier-Natural-Deterrent-Repellent/dp/B000QVPIQ4/
    Nematodes for the Vine Weevil https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardening-Naturally-Nematop-Natural-Control-Nematodes/dp/B07D9MWKQV/

Above links are only to get you started.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you know if there are frogs in your area? if so, dig a pond and give them somewhere to stay. they will help with the slug problem.

Lumen wrote: »

I picked up a couple from a poultry sale a couple of weeks ago. They're mad for slugs. Super poopy though.

ducklings.jpg

Chickens are equally good, they aren't so keen on larger slugs and snails but love the eggs so stop them at source also a lot less poopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

my3cents wrote: »
    Chickens are equally good, they aren't so keen on larger slugs and snails but love the eggs so stop them at source also a lot less poopy.
    Don't they scratch at the base of plants though? There's almost nothing left growing in my chicken run.

Don't they scratch at the base of plants though? There's almost nothing left growing in my chicken run.

I should have said we let the chickens out in the veg garden during the winter at this time of year even one escaping now can cause devastation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭macraignil

There is something wrong in the title of this thread, but also some great photography of slugs, snails and some vine weevils. I like the idea of providing a pond for slug eating frogs to make a home, and another idea I have tried is to grow some slug eating nematodes at home as explained in this article. Also have a visiting hedgehog so they may be helping control them in my garden as well but it is still always worth checking the underside of pots and other hiding places and be ready to chop them in half as I don't think there is any way to eliminate them completely. Beer traps work a bit and you can also collect them if you just put out something they will naturally use to hide under like a length of DPC plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

GreeBo wrote: »

He just needs help...

• Advertisement

Get yourself a frog pond - you won't have to worry about snails or slugs again

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

ducklings.jpg

They also LOOOOOVE lettuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭fiacha

My neighbour got ducks for her poly tunnel. they ate / pulled apart every plant they could reach !

They were great crack to have around the garden though, so maybe worth the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭fiacha

rolion wrote: »

snip

But what intrigues and makes me wonder how do they work their magic to end up so high, on so thin leaves and branches of th eapple tree ...and even on the shinny plastic surfaces they slide like a pro...

Im i doing something wrong here !??

Pair of gloves, a bucket with a lid and a torch. 5-10 minutes in the garden each night and you'll keep the numbers down to a manageable level. Empty the bucket out on a bird table the next morning and the birds will love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fiacha wrote: »
    My neighbour got ducks for her poly tunnel. they ate / pulled apart every plant they could reach !

They were great crack to have around the garden though, so maybe worth the price :)

thats not my idea of crack

total WAR declared against those little creatures... waited months for the berries to get red and now...i am left watching how they become the breakfast of the sticky ...hmmm...That place is on top of two wooden poles and pipes,over 2m height...
    I had a 2 metres cherry tree,full with flowers and potential fruits...after a week,some dark flies invaded, all gone, all lost, only curved leafes and thank God,tree still alive,ready i hope,with a learned lesson,for next year.

Lads,thanks for sharing ,i am not gonna need that type of "help" but i just talk to my plants,they sometime talks back to me and one of their call out is "protect me" against the invaders,eating,destroying the leaves and / or roots.
    I could be happy sharing some of the fruits with the small earth creatures and stay in harmony but boundary is boundary and plants are on top of the pyramid.
    Can't share the amount of time and passion and expectation i have from the plants and trees after so much work done...and now,what,all gone ?

481609.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

That's an absolute No. Hedgehogs are wild animals, not pets, and travel up to 3Km per night. One garden would not feed a hedgehog, only 5% of their diet is slugs or snails, they would clear an average garden of beetles and other beneficial insects in a couple of days if confined to a single garden.
    We have a hedgehog in our garden, he's definitely not eating all the slugs
    I'm trying nemaslug around the veg beds, hopefully will reduce the number of slugs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a hedgehog should reduce slug numbers anyway; scratching up the ground will expose slug eggs to dessication or predation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Those ducks are so cute. Can't see them lasting long with cats around though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:rolleyes:

Advertisement