Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for decentt ACCURATE scales?

Options
  • 28-05-2019 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

My wife looses it with our bathroom scales on a regular bases, they aren't consistent. With 3 weighs within a couple of minutes they give weights that differ by at least 4 pounds and occasionally as much as 8.

Current scales are electronic and used on the same spot on a hard level floor each time. Previous electronic scales haven't been much better. Also tried replacing batteries in case that was the problem but no improvement.

Just ordered some mechanical scales from Amazon but I don't hold out much hope of them being any better as even the ones with the best reviews always get some really bad reviews.

At this stage I'm wondering if its realistic to expect any form of consistency and accuracy from bathroom scales?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

I think the Salter weigh scales are excellent. I have one for years - works great.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Worztron wrote: »
    I think the Salter weigh scales are excellent. I have one for years - works great.

Thanks, thats what I would have bought but I'm not so sure the new ones are any good they make loads a loads of different ones and they all seem to get a few really crap reviews on Amazon. What makes me take the bad reviews seriously is that the issues people have had are similar to the problems I've experienced.

my3cents wrote: »
    Thanks, thats what I would have bought but I'm not so sure the new ones are any good they make loads a loads of different ones and they all seem to get a few really crap reviews on Amazon. What makes me take the bad reviews seriously is that the issues people have had are similar to the problems I've experienced.

The model I have is 9068 WH3R. I highly recommend it.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

The model I have is 9068 WH3R. I highly recommend it.

Those seem to be digital? After all the hassle with digital scales I daren't get another pair :rolleyes:

Those seem to be digital? After all the hassle with digital scales I daren't get another pair :rolleyes:
    Hi my3cents. Why would you buy a 'pair'? What's wrong with digital scales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I have a Salter MiBody scales. Its digital and has always been fairly spot on when compared with calibrated scales used at weigh-ins for competitions.

Hi my3cents. Why would you buy a 'pair'? What's wrong with digital scales?

Last time I checked my wife had two legs :D

But just my daft thought process as in a pair of legs, pair of shoes so pair of scales when I really meant set of scales.

We've had several pairs sets of digital scales and they have all been really bad for accuracy it doesn't matter if they are consistently wrong by the same amount the problem is that consecutive measurements are often out by 4lbs.

OmegaGene wrote: »

You can do your own home calibration by weighing something before you weigh yourself so the weight is consistent

I know that much lol I don’t have a problem with mine
    I was showing the op the different scales and the report about temp and moisture affecting the scales

I was just adding to do a calibration to check if it's reading consistently, for the benefit of the OP

You quoted me though

Op said it’s not consistent that’s the problem, plus or minus 4lb is madness

Because it was relevant to quote to. If it was always +4lb their true weight then it wouldn't be an issue because it would be consistent and the OP would have a consistent trend. I was adding about trying to calibrate.

I'm not sure why you're taking issue with it. I wasn't correcting you. Just adding something the OP might find useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

With our electronic scales you have to turn them on by tapping on them with your foot and waiting for the display to zero before standing on them. If you don't wait, or move them while it's doing it, you'll get an incorrect reading. Ditto if you stand on them a bit crooked with more weight over to one side than the other. Worth a try before you throw them out.

By the way, I always refer to them as a "pair" of scales, probably due to them consisting of two parts, albeit connected, like an old fashioned pair of scales with two sides with pans for the weights and the item being weighed, I don't know.

It's the same for scissors, pliers, tweezers, pants, trousers and probably a lot of other things I can't remember.

You can do your own home calibration by weighing something before you weigh yourself so the weight is consistent

Hi Alf. Yes, I used my dumbbell weights to check for accuracy and my Salter scale was spot on correct.

...consecutive measurements are often out by 4lbs.

That's abysmal.

Hi Alf. Yes, I used my dumbbell weights to check for accuracy and my Salter scale was spot on correct.

My scales could sometimes be out by a kilo but my 12kg kettlebell usually weighed exactly 11.6kg so I used to weigh it, then myself and it again to check. So the trend was consistent.

Haven't had to do it with the Salter one to be fair and needed it to be on the ball for a few weigh-ins

That's abysmal.

I think one of the reasons for the error is the way my wife uses them, if she reads this I'm in trouble :o:rolleyes:.

As Alun says above you need to tap the current scales with one foot, then wait for the display to zero and I'm not sure that is happening every time.

I think one of the reasons for the error is the way my wife uses them, if she reads this I'm in trouble :o:rolleyes:.

As Alun says above you need to tap the current scales with one foot, then wait for the display to zero and I'm not sure that is happening every time.

Yes, I do the same. I keep it in my bedroom (has carpet). I weigh myself in the bathroom (lino) because of the level floor and recalibrate it every time. I know you must recalibrate anyway if you move the scales from one location to another.

Advertisement