Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Night shifts

Options
  • 27-05-2019 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey all i work 3 12 hour night shifts a week and just wondering on any tips on food too eat to keep me going and still eat healthy,Been getting through on energy drinks and takeaways for too long.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Need more information. What appliances do you have access to at work? The obvious answer is to prepare did at home and bring it with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Need more information. What appliances do you have access to at work? The obvious answer is to prepare did at home and bring it with you.

Very hard to find time to cook when working 12 hour nightshift, especially if there is a commute aswell. I've the same problem OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Smudger80

I work 4 on 4 off nights and found it hard at the start but I simply stopped eating while on shift,I have my dinner before I come into work and at about 22:30 I have a cup of coffee and drink plenty of water throughout the night

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Very hard to find time to cook when working 12 hour nightshift, especially if there is a commute aswell. I've the same problem OP.

But you're not working every day of the week? I would often batch cook and then I wouldn't have to cook on the long days.
    It's all about preparation. There is no easy fix, really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mooley24

Mars Bar wrote: »

Have access to a toaster and microwave,have time
    To prepare at home but just wondering what would be good foods to eat,couldn’t stomach anything too heavy at 2 or 3 in the morning but don’t think I could go all night on just drinks either

• Advertisement

Ye I find if I don’t eat something I’m starving because obviously you sleep most of the day then as well so can’t have meals at the usual times

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I did 12 hour nights for 13 years.

Very hard to get the food right.
    For me the key was exercise on the days off, getting in as much natural light as possible.
    Eating just light salads and snacks while on nights. Keeping away from sugar laden stuff and fried food.

However for last 3 years my health just deteriorated so much I changed work. Within six months most of the problems had gone. GP had been telling me the shifts were the problem.

Tried to eat healthier this week,A sandwich on early break then some fruit on next break and just cup of tea on the last and no energy drinks or chocolate and i got through the nights and didn't feel like i had any less energy so hopefully this is the way forward

Advertisement