Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEP Rating Question

• 27-05-2019 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am struggling to find an answer to this question online, and wonder if someone here might be able to help.

I have a valid PPL, but my SEP Rating last year. I'm currently flying with an Instructor to get ready for an SEP Rating Renewal Skill Test soon.

I'd like to do one or two solo flights, just to get even more practice and get some more circuits in etc., before the Skill Test. My Instructor is happy for me to go solo, but we're not certain if I'm legally allowed to or not! Obviously, when I was on my SPL I was allowed go solo without an SEP Rating, but now I have my PPL I'm not sure if I am or not.

I have contacted the IAA about this, but no-one is answering the phones and the automatic email reply I got said it will be 15 working days before I get a reply.

Anyone here know if I'm allowed to fly solo without a valid SEP rating?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PeteF

If you haven't flown since last year you'd be safer going with an instructor to keep an eye on your skills. Even though your examiner might let you away solo doesn't mean you should, unless you can be certain of your safety.

I don't think you're legal to fly without a valid SEP. When it's expired, it's expired.

If you and your examiner are confident of your skills, just do the renewal and fly solo afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Under Part-FCL now there's no student licence, it just says the following:

FCL.020(a)
    A student pilot shall not fly solo unless authorised to do so by a flight instructor.

So can a person with an expired SEP rating be considered a Student?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭jasonb

I've already flown a few hours with my Instructor and plan to fly a bit more with him before the test. But it would be great to do some solo circuits for example a few days before the test just to make sure I'm sharp.

That's the question in a nutshell civdef! A student on a SPL can fly solo as long as permitted by an Instructor, so can someone with a valid PPL but expired SEP fly solo too, if permitted by an Instructor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

jasonb wrote: »
    I've already flown a few hours with my Instructor and plan to fly a bit more with him before the test. But it would be great to do some solo circuits for example a few days before the test just to make sure I'm sharp.

That's the question in a nutshell civdef! A student on a SPL can fly solo as long as permitted by an Instructor, so can someone with a valid PPL but expired SEP fly solo too, if permitted by an Instructor?

I do not see any reason why not. Didn't we all complete our first solo with about 8 or 9 hours!? I don't recall having any license or rating when i flew my 50 VFR solo hours.

It all depends on the instructor and if he is happy, when you fly solo you do so on his license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

civdef wrote: »
    Under Part-FCL now there's no student licence, it just says the following:

FCL.020(a)
    A student pilot shall not fly solo unless authorised to do so by a flight instructor.

So can a person with an expired SEP rating be considered a Student?
    that's probably stretching the definition of "student" a bit. If the individual is already a qualified person, they can't become unqualified. You are either in or out of currency, there's no halfway status. Asking to fly solo is pushing the boundaries of the instructor's remit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement