Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions Cup 2019/20 draw - Wed 19th June 1pm Irish time

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

That’s nearly the worst part. Swansea or that Saracens place is crap. Wouldn’t mind a trip to that new racing arena though

Maybe they will play the Saracens Munster game in the new WHL. Munster fans can sample the cultural delights of Tottenham.

Very very interesting draw.

Leinster will 6/6.

I think Munster will lose away to Sarries and win everything else. Sarries might win in Thomond but I think this Munster squad with a stronger coaching ticket has a decent shout.

Connacht have a tough pool but a fascinating one. Gloucester can score tries and will trouble everyone at home. Toulouse away are not the same standard but at home will be very tough. Montpellier similar but not quite as cohesive a team unit.

Ulster similarly should account for Quins and Bath but neither will be push overs. Clermont will be an interesting one but I think both legs will go to the home team unless Clermont have talent coming through in the halves. They looked very one dimensional against Toulouse in the final.

Pool 2 is nasty to be honest, three relatively even teams and then Sale.

I think play-off spots 4 - 8 will be very competitive. Leinster, Sarries and Toulouse to fill top 3 without a huge amount of difficulty and I think Munster will slot into 4th despite what looks like a tough pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Leinster will 6/6.

I think Munster will lose away to Sarries and win everything else. Sarries might win in Thomond but I think this Munster squad with a stronger coaching ticket has a decent shout.

Connacht have a tough pool but a fascinating one. Gloucester can score tries and will trouble everyone at home. Toulouse away are not the same standard but at home will be very tough. Montpellier similar but not quite as cohesive a team unit.

Ulster similarly should account for Quins and Bath but neither will be push overs. Clermont will be an interesting one but I think both legs will go to the home team unless Clermont have talent coming through in the halves. They looked very one dimensional against Toulouse in the final.

I think play-off spots 4 - 8 will be very competitive. Leinster, Sarries and Toulouse to fill top 3 without a huge amount of difficulty and I think Munster will slot into 4th despite what looks like a tough pool.
    Munster are going to get little time to implement any changes made by the new coaching ticket given its a WC year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Leinster will 6/6.

If Sarries top the pool the best Munster can do with be 6th.
    As a Leinster fan it's an ideal draw - you would hope a home quarter and semi final to come and the biggest rivals Saracens possibly away in quarters and almost certainly the semis final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the exeter pool is very tasty also... that will be close one

The Stuart Hogg derby

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

first two rounds two weeks after world cup final so Bennoton and other perceived weaker teams could do damage depending on dates they play stronger teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    first two rounds two weeks after world cup final so Bennoton and other perceived weaker teams could do damage depending on dates they play stronger teams

Benetton have 22 players in the preliminary Italian squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Benetton have 22 players in the preliminary Italian squad.

But you'd have to assume Italy will be gone after the pool stages so Benetton will have an extra few weeks to prepare.

Whereas Ireand will 100% be there until the final so the provinces might struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Welsh shocked that Irish Times article mention Ospreys in group of death, "Irish arrogance"

He's an enjoyable read but doesn't seem to like us too much:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

guapos wrote: »

Welsh shocked that Irish Times article mention Ospreys in group of death, "Irish arrogance"

He doesn't say anything about Irish arrogance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster will 6/6.

You think Munster will win away to Racing? Can’t see that happen, best case scenario I’d see for Munster is three home wins and beat the Ospreys away. Though I’ve a feeling Saracens might win in Thomond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭PMC83

stephen_n wrote: »
    You think Munster will win away to Racing? Can’t see that happen, best case scenario I’d see for Munster is three home wins and beat the Ospreys away. Though I’ve a feeling Saracens might win in Thomond.

I think the fear of Thomond is a thing of the past tbh. Treviso )allthough much improved) went there and came very close to turning Muster over. The new coaching ticket will really need to come into effect if they want to get out of this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

PMC83 wrote: »
    I think the fear of Thomond is a thing of the past tbh. Treviso )allthough much improved) went there and came very close to turning Muster over. The new coaching ticket will really need to come into effect if they want to get out of this group.

That wasn't a European game though. It is noticeably different on a Heineken Cup day (and will certainly be packed to the rafters). It's going to be a fascinating group to watch play out and especially with the World Cup disruption for all teams.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Munster season ticket holders are certainly getting value for money if nothing else.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    That wasn't a European game though. It is noticeably different on a Heineken Cup day (and will certainly be packed to the rafters). It's going to be a fascinating group to watch play out and especially with the World Cup disruption for all teams.

It wasn't Europe, but it was a quarter final, and one for a team that haven't won a Trophy in years, yet they struggled to turn up. Playing in Thomond didn't seem to bother Treviso in the slightest and despite the increased noise during the European games, I cant see it bothering the likes of Saracens or Racing too much either. Noisy fans are great, but they will need something to shout about first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It wasn't Europe, but it was a quarter final, and one for a team that haven't won a Trophy in years, yet they struggled to turn up. Playing in Thomond didn't seem to bother Treviso in the slightest and despite the increased noise during the European games, I cant see it bothering the likes of Saracens or Racing too much either. Noisy fans are great, but they will need something to shout about first.

It doesn't mater that it was a quarter final. It wasn't Europe. Munster still have a poor attitude when it comes to the Pro14. Unless it's Leinster they don't put the effort in. They play to a higher level in Europe. As a ST holder the attitude pisses me off, but it is what it is.

It doesn't mater that it was a quarter final. It wasn't Europe. Munster still have a poor attitude when it comes to the Pro14. Unless it's Leinster they don't put the effort in. They play to a higher level in Europe. As a ST holder the attitude pisses me off, but it is what it is.

Fair enough. As a Leinster fan I will certainly be cheering Munster on during all their Heino cup pool games, but just think they will need more the the Thomand factor this year, if they want to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Nice pool for Leinster, as they recover from winning the WC.

Excited to watch Ulster and Connacht next season. I'm hoping they can show themselves well, especially Connacht. Winning their home games is a realistic possiblity.

Munster can give the Pro 14 a good crack next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

guapos wrote: »

I'm not sure Ospreys have done anything in the last several years to warrant a mention in that article. The Welsh might not like that, but they've nobody but themselves to blame for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If professional players deliberately underperform as you're suggesting then they shouldn't be wearing the jersey. I doubt if you asked POM he'd say they simply aren't as bothered with KO games in the league as they are pool games in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm not sure Ospreys have done anything in the last several years to warrant a mention in that article. The Welsh might not like that, but they've nobody but themselves to blame for it.

They're also a mess off the field as Simon Thomas himself reported this week which adds to the notion that they're not going to become any more relevant anytime soon.
    The Ospreys have revealed the action they have had to take to address an “unsustainable” financial situation after incurring an operating loss of more than £2.7m in 2017-18.

That has seen £4.66m of historic debt being written off and new capital introduced into the business to produce a pre-tax profit of £1.85m.

The figures are revealed in the latest accounts up until June 30, 2018, at which point the company’s net current liabilities were £1,996,041 and shareholders funds were a deficit of £3,456,825.

The independent auditors express their concern over this state of affairs in their report.

It stated: “These events or conditions... indicate that a material uncertainty exists that may cast doubt on the company’s ability to continue as a going concern. Our opinion is not modified in respect of this matter.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Aren't Munster unbeaten at home for the last year or so or longer?

molloyjh wrote: »
    If professional players deliberately underperform as you're suggesting then they shouldn't be wearing the jersey. I doubt if you asked POM he'd say they simply aren't as bothered with KO games in the league as they are pool games in Europe.

It's the attitude in Munster and has been for years. When you hear the likes of Alan Quinlan saying before the HEC quarter final that Munsters season would be over if they lost, even though at the time they were top of their Pro14 conference, you can see the issue. The current players wouldn't admit it, but it's obvious when you watch them that they put more effort into Europe.

It's also rampant through the supporter base. It's the Europe or nothing. The likes of myself who sees the Pro14 as being as important as Europe are in the minority and that's seen with the poor attendances in the league.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Aren't Munster unbeaten at home for the last year or so or longer?

They are, but most teams that visit Limerick and Cork aren't very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

Leinster will 6/6.

You think a pool runner up will be fourth seeds?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Champions Cup tweeting this afternoon that the first batch of fixtures will be out in August...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Advertisement