Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difference between opposing the MMR vaccine and opposing the HPV vaccine.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A boy or girl are too young to make that decision. Jasus my whole class took the pledge at the time of conformation. Within 3 years most of them drank alcohol.

How many 13 year old girls truly believed that they would never have sex before marrying the man they fell instantly in love with (love at first sight)? Fortunately we don't let children make life & death decisions for themselves.

They'd have a greater chance of being hit by a lorry than getting cervical cancer.

Besides, how the hell would the vaccine not work if it was taken in adulthood instead of in the early teens? There's also the alternative of taking a HPV test if you're a sexually-active adult and, if you have HPV, getting treatment to prevent it from leading to cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

They'd have a greater chance of being hit by a lorry than getting cervical cancer.

Besides, how the hell would the vaccine not work if it was taken in adulthood instead of in the early teens? There's also the alternative of taking a HPV test if you're a sexually-active adult and, if you have HPV, getting treatment to prevent it from leading to cancer.

Why take the risk? The whole point of vaccines is to eradicate preventable diseases, the effectiveness is less if one waits until after they have been exposed.

Or are you afraid that once vaccinated they’ll turn promiscuous?

amcalester wrote: »
    Why take the risk? The whole point of vaccines is to eradicate preventable diseases, the effectiveness is less if one waits until after they have been exposed.

Or are you afraid that once vaccinated they’ll turn promiscuous?

Only if your a bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Jasus wept. Where to even start

Here's how things work in the real world. The young boy & girl you talk about might decide at age 13 that they won't have sex till they get married 10 or 15 years later. By the time they are 15, 16 or 17 they or one of them change their mind and has sex. They don't have a HPV test.

Why would you not give a perfectly safe vaccine to them at 13 or 14 before they become sexually active? What is the point taking a possible live threatening risk? What is the benefits? If there was a perfectly safe vaccine against AIDS would you not get it?

I don't understand why you would put your child at risk from a preventable life threatening virus? We went to Egypt last year and I spent over 500 euro on vacations. Everything the doctor said that there was a remote chance of me or my family getting we got a vaccine for.

Advertisement