Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Niki Lauda RIP

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Niki Lauda has died.

08394c94ccd0d55fe3003bd48b2cced1.jpg

RIP

Simply the best sporting comeback of all time, a proper man. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

RIP
    A legend of the sport, and a very astute business man who was never afraid to challenge the big guys and not back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I will really miss his honesty, his to-the-point'ness, and his zero bs/corporate speak approach. If Merc dropped the ball, Niki would be the first to say it. If they pulled a rabbit out of a hat, he'd be the first to say it. An amazing person all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I remember seeing the crash footage on the news back then...still horrific....

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Pissartist wrote: »
    Simply the best sporting comeback of all time, a proper man. RIP

Agree. There's been many a great comeback in many forms of sport be it from terrible accidents/injuries or near terminal illnesses but Lauda's comeback while still being in the condition he was in appears to be a level above the rest.

His post accident 4th in Italy and 3rd in America were and still are phenomenal achievements in the face of such physical and mental anguish.
    RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Great article about Niki here.

Lovely article. Thanks for sharing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just heard about this now. He was great racer for his time, an incredible man and a legend now.

I do not think there is a lot of drivers that would have come back and raced again if the same thing happened to them.

Formula 1 has lost one of its hero's.

May he Rest in Peace.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I've only heard about Niki Lauda's death on the RTÉ News Headlines. R.I.P. to a legendary F1 driver.

Lewis Hamilton has just tweeted about his death a short time ago. It reads.

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/1130878976212307969

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭chicorytip

gimli2112 wrote:
    At a time when the risks were far more significant and no-one would have been more aware of this than himself and he still did it. Half his face had been melted a few weeks before.

To say the risks were more significant back then is a huge understatement. Marshals had no fire extinguishing training and flameproof clothing was not in common use. Lauda was lucky to escape with his life. Roger Williamson was not so lucky at the 1973 Dutch Grand Prix. His car hit a barrier, overturned and burst into flames trapping the driver who burnt to death. There were a number of marshals at the scene but all they could do was stand by helplessly as they had not even a single fire extinguisher at their disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I wasn’t alive for his driving days, but I loved his frank and honest interviews since getting involved behind the scenes. He was a truly remarkable man and will be a great loss to the sport.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Very good obituary and another article from the same author.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/21/niki-lauda-obituary

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/21/niki-lauda-a-single-minded-f1-champion-who-beat-the-best-of-his-age

I just about remember seeing him race towards the end of his career. Anyway his racecraft wasn't his most notable quality, there were more exciting drivers around. It was his tenacity, drive, intelligence and abrupt style that really made him stand out. I know Rush is dramatized version of Lauda but apparently fairly accurate representation and it's him I always end up rooting for (yes I knew before about the accident and that Hunt won and yes I rewatch the movie every so often).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

jester77 wrote: »
    RIP
    A legend of the sport, and a very astute business man who was never afraid to challenge the big guys and not back down.

Yep, goes to show not much changes with Boeing. They tried to cover up the extent of the issue. When Lauda said he would take a 767 into the air himself with 2 Boeing pilots on-board and test the failure in real life, they had to admit it would bring down the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sky Sports F1 have a Niki Lauda Tribute on at 10.20pm for anyone with Sky Sports F1 and then at 11pm there is Niki Lauda:F1 Legend.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

F1 could do with a character like Niki on the grid.

Straight to the point, a thinker, a character and flat out fast.

7892444162_132ac0bbf4_b.jpg

This photo has been doing the rounds since the news. I love everything about it.

Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

McLaren and Ferrari will hopefully be doing something special too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    RIP Niki. I also cleaned up this thread up. Not going to even say what it was about but people should be ashamed of themselves.

Hang on I posted about Lauda, what I always remembered him for and it was removed in it's entirety and I guess it was probably due to one single sentence in there.
    And I actually do stand by the point in that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Sebastian-Vettel-Lauda-Helm-GP-Monaco-2019-fotoshowBigWide-9e5e4642-1591271.jpg

^ Vettel will be using that design this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Have to say, when all the middle-aged Irish radio presenters were lacking lyrical a few weeks ago about Tiger having the biggest comeback in sporting history....
    I thought of Niki...

What he achieved in the sport, with his airline business...and all the time having no airs or graces, just a fun, no bull**** guy...Total legend...

Advertisement