Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei phone

Options
  • 20-05-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I have just bought a new one of these at the weekend (Huawei p smart)
    I have not opened it yet, should I bring it back get a different phone, or should it be ok with regards to Google etc. I need maps on my phone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭DopeTech

michdee wrote: »
    I have just bought a new one of these at the weekend (Huawei p smart)
    I have not opened it yet, should I bring it back get a different phone, or should it be ok with regards to Google etc. I need maps on my phone

If unopened i'd definitely bring it back and swap it for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I agree. you are lucky you didn't open it.

acquaint yourself with the providers terms and conditions, return to shop/seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I agree. you are lucky you didn't open it.

acquaint yourself with the providers terms and conditions, return to shop/seller.

Return under not as advertised. A smart phone without access to the smart bit isn't a smart phone.

it's only UPCOMING models that will be affected.

current phones will have access to play store and all apps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

glasso wrote: »

For how long? And what support will Google give any handset currently running Android? Will you get security patches etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

They won't have access to updates to the next android version though which is due out in August and so if I was buying a new phone now I would be expecting it to get updated to the new version at some point.

There is also a lot of doubt about the full implications down the line (will you get security updates or will the android version you are on potentially become vulnerable, probably be ok but no one sure), personally I'd be leaning towards returning it if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Excellent thanks all was unsure what to do. Will bring it back to the shop and see what they say, raging as it looks quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Google has confirmed existing phones will not have access to Android version updates. They may get security updates for now but won't be able to update to Android Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Del2005 wrote: »
    Return under not as advertised. A smart phone without access to the smart bit isn't a smart phone.

Still has full access to the smart part ,

It's mostly future releases that's going to effected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Don't think you'll have a comeback in the shop, change of mind does not warrant a return or exchange. Can be returned if bought online though. I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

rizzee wrote: »
    Don't think you'll have a comeback in the shop, change of mind does not warrant a return or exchange. Can be returned if bought online though. I'm open to correction.

HI, I'm in exact same position as op; my new phone still sitting in box at home unopened- i rang Vodafone who confirmed im fully entitled to return to shop where it was purchased within 14 days of purchase. Grounds of return include fault & change of mind... i will be returning mine on Saturday - just not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

will this apply to honor phones also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

rizzee wrote: »

You are correct, I just had a quick peek at the consumer rights section and it says changing your mind is not covered, once the item is sold as described and is not faulty.

That being said - a good few of the larger retail entities will take items back when still sealed and let you swap for something else.

But if they don't then you are stuck with it, other options if they refuse to swap it could be selling as new and sealed second hand, but you would almost definitely lose money.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Just checked my Vodafone receipt from Saturday which confirms that Vodafone are happy to exchange/refund product within 14 days with valid receipt. So maybe it depends on the shop/outlet/network the phone was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

laurah591 wrote: »
    Just checked my Vodafone receipt from Saturday which confirms that Vodafone are happy to exchange/refund product within 14 days with valid receipt. So maybe it depends on the shop/outlet/network the phone was purchased.

Exactly - down to the policy of the retailer, but they are not legally required to have that policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

sadie1502 wrote:
    will this apply to honor phones also?

I believe so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

jim o doom wrote: »
    Exactly - down to the policy of the retailer, but they are not legally required to have that policy.
    One important clarification: while they are not required to have that policy, if they do have such a policy, they are legally required to honour it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Thanks very much all. I spoke to them in the shop today and they said it is future models that Huawei have said will be affected. They also don't think it will play out longterm as op said but they were happy to exchange if I wanted.

Advertisement