Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house when self employed

Options
  • 19-05-2019 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've recently left my full time job to start my own business and become self employed.

I'd like to be in a position as soon as possible to buy a house.

I was just wondering if anyone knows or has any idea what banks look for when applying for a mortgage as a self employed individual.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You could struggle if your not in business long and haven't accounts. Have you contracts for work or anything you could use as proof of future income etc. Have you another half, can ye go in together.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

So the business is profitable and has contracts in place to prove monthly income.

I have a partner who works as a nurse who obviously has a stable income

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Not 100% sure, but heard you need 3 years of audited accounts or something similar

They might want a cash flow statement for the next few years and whatever accounts you can do up. Probably want a look at your business plan.
    Probably worth chatting with a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

This came up in the business forum not so long ago too but didnt get much of a response. Not long after we started our business we went into AIB as standard they want 3 years of accounts but all they really wanted was proof of ability to pay so contracts would help. Because we had other income and assets the fact we had a new business didnt really matter all that matters is your ability to repay.

• Advertisement

Interest rates are going up in the next year or so factor that into your budget for repayments. AIB will be.

Interest rates are going up in the next year or so factor that into your budget for repayments. AIB will be.

Source? No indication of rates being increased to mortgage holders at the moment imo.

I have a good/steady income already and savings in the bank.

We have enough saved between us for our deposit and no outstanding loans,overdrafts and have proof we've been putting money aside every month for this.

I'd just like to try get on the property ladder as soon as possible so would like to know how long I may have to wait to apply.

I have a good/steady income already and savings in the bank.

We have enough saved between us for our deposit and no outstanding loans,overdrafts and have proof we've been putting money aside every month for this.

I'd just like to try get on the property ladder as soon as possible so would like to know how long I may have to wait to apply.

Go in and ask. No harm in seeing what they say. Like any application it all depend son your personal circumstances that's what they make their decision based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bythefire

Could you apply as an employee? If you are paying yourself a wage, I presume you have a payslip from your business?

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    Go in and ask. No harm in seeing what they say. Like any application it all depend son your personal circumstances that's what they make their decision based on.

Going to do that this week for sure.

Bythefire wrote: »
    Could you apply as an employee? If you are paying yourself a wage, I presume you have a payslip from your business?

I don't think that's a route I'd like to go down but if all comes to all....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bythefire

I don't think that's a route I'd like to go down but if all comes to all....

I'm not even sure if it's possible, it just came to mind when I read your post.

Bythefire wrote: »
    I'm not even sure if it's possible, it just came to mind when I read your post.

I'd say the banks are wise to that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I thought my OH was asked for two years of accounts signed off by his accountant when we applied. That was AIB though, so maybe it was three as per the above posts.

Nothing funny about paying yourself a wage, are you a sole trader or ltd? There's different prsi classes you can get away with paying a cheaper one but won't get a full state pension. Tbh, bank don't care they want to see how much your making.
    Your accountant should be well up on all this. It's one thing you shouldn't skimp on a bad one will get you in trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Not 100% sure, but heard you need 3 years of audited accounts or something similar

This is 100%

This is 100%

He may have to bend the knee to nursery in that case:D

This is 100%

That's not true it completely depends on your circumstances. If they have enough in their favour they will look past it. We obviously arent going to get all the information here but not having 3 years doesn't mean its game over.

It's a private limited company.

I was wondering would they look at the turnover of the business or would they be more looking at the salary I give to myself?

• Advertisement

Profit, turnover is vanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It's a private limited company.

I was wondering would they look at the turnover of the business or would they be more looking at the salary I give to myself?

They’ll look at both. They’ll take your salary into account for affordability, same as they would for an employee, but they’ll also make sure that the company can keep paying you the salary

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

.... are you a sole trader or ltd? There's different prsi classes you can get away with paying a cheaper one but won't get a full state pension.

Just for the record , this is incorrect: state pension is covered by class S.

Just for the record , this is incorrect: state pension is covered by class S.

What am I on about I've forgotten but I know my accountant made me do something so I'd be entitled to something. It had something to do with the state pension. It was something to with the type class I was paying or not paying.

jlm29 wrote: »
    They’ll look at both. They’ll take your salary into account for affordability, same as they would for an employee, but they’ll also make sure that the company can keep paying you the salary

That's what I was thinking would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

I know several self-employed people who have got mortgages without 3 years of audited accounts. It might help you to talk to an independent broker as they will have a good idea of both what you will need and which banks are likely to grant a mortgage to you in your current circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I'm self employed - Class S Director - and didn't need any company accounts at all.

I'm self employed - Class S Director - and didn't need any company accounts at all.

What bank was that with?

Senature wrote: »
    I know several self-employed people who have got mortgages without 3 years of audited accounts. It might help you to talk to an independent broker as they will have a good idea of both what you will need and which banks are likely to grant a mortgage to you in your current circumstances.

Any idea on what banks allowed that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

Any idea on what banks allowed that?

PM sent

Advertisement